Team better trading Pujols? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Team better trading Pujols?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Team better trading Pujols?

Postby fast dogs » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:21 am

This basic 5x5 14 team roto we keep any 7 players, my first 5 are pretty good but the last 2 aren't quite worthy. The kicker here is I'd only be able to keep Pujols for 2012 and the 3 guys I'd get would be good for 3-4 more years. I've pretty much never traded away a 1st rounder and got the 3 players coming back side of a deal, but with Mo & Gio as my current #6-7 I think I'm better off making the deal for 2 improved #6-7 keepers. I might take a small hit in 2012 but in the long run it would seem to be much better. Maybe adding Kennedy/Lester and A Gordon and Hosmer wouldn't even be a hit from Pujols, Mo & Gio. The team I'm trading with is loaded with keeper options so the deal probly works 4 both.My roster would go from
Votto..........................to Votto
Pedroia.......................Pedr
Cliff Lee.....................Lee
Sandoval....................Sand
Pujols.......................Hosmer
Mo..........................2 of Kennedy/Lester
Gio.........................Alex Gordon
Make the 1 for 3 trade and which 2 of the 3 if yes? Is Gordon nearly as good as his 2011? I'd prefer 5 hitters/2 SP in my 7 but Kennedy and Lester might have less risk than Gordon.thanks guys
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Team better trading Pujols?

Postby Beeblebrox » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:25 am

I get the logic behind dealing Pujols, and it's probably a good idea.

But I don't like that trade. You should be able to do better.
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:26 am

It is late and I may not be thinking 100% clearly... but help me out here, who is Mo?
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby fast dogs » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:30 am

there is no better offer in this league, no 1 else has the pieces,we have contracts that expire every 5 years and the talent is pretty equally divided and no team has many extra keepers to swing this big of a deal Once the season starts, they'll only get Pujols for less than 1 year and theres almost no chance to get 3 keepable players after we draft. Its this deal or nothing I'm afraid
In the recent Cafe Mock draft Hosmer went #49, Gordon 73 and the 2 SP around 90. I was expecting better offers but current rosters don't offer much hope until we draft and then who knows.
Mo=Rivera
and speaking of Rivera, he's likely to retire after this year meaning I'd not only have to replace Pujols next year but him as well
I'm usually a win this year kinda guy and this deal doesn't necessarily help that, but if Hosmer puts up 70-75% of Pujols the other 2 upgrades should just about even that up; or is that too optimistic on Hosmer?
If Pujols had more than 1 year left before he's back in the draft I probably wouldn't go for it, but this is my 1 shot at acquiring Hosmer and this offer is going to be the best I'll get. Hate giving up the best player in the deal, especially when its Albert. I suppose I could try offering Votto instead, but its still a 1st rounder. more level headed comments welcomed
Last edited by fast dogs on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:32 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:It is late and I may not be thinking 100% clearly... but help me out here, who is Mo?

Mariano. And this isn't enough for Pujols imo.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:36 am

fast dogs wrote:there is no better offer in this league, no 1 else has the pieces
Mo=Rivera

Okay, that makes sense. For some reason I was thinking Mo Vaughn...

Moving on, I would probably pass on this trade. I think that in-season you would be able to get a better package for Pujols, especially at the deadline. I could be wrong though.

Gordon/Kennedy/Hosmer is better than Pujols/Mo/Gio in the long run, but I still think you can land a better package for Pujols.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:45 am

I want to make sure I understand the deal;

You give Pujols
You get Hosmer and then 2 of Lester/Kennedy/Gordon

Man this is tough. I really like Hosmer and I am not sure you could get Hosmer for much cheaper than Pujols in a trade. I also like you getting Kennedy/Lester although they would compare pretty easily to Gio. If you could get Hosmer, one of those pitchers and another player (better than Gordon) then I think I might do the deal. But right now I don't think I could swing this.

The problem also is, that now might be the last time you can get Hosmer for Pujols let alone adding other players. Hosmer very well could be a top 20 player or so next year at which point, no one is trading Hosmer for Pujols. So maybe you just need to do the deal and not worry so much about what other players you are getting in return.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby fast dogs » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Pujols for 3 of Homer Gordon Kennedy Lester correct. Also correct on last chance probably to acquire Hosmer even at a fairly expensive price.The only other player he has is Andrus that he could deal in place of Gordon, but right now asking for him appears to be a deal breaker.
Adding to my woes is Lee, Votto & Pedroia are also in their final contract year so this might be my best year to contend and trading Pujols for under market value doesn't help that cause. I've painted myself into a corner with all the expiring contracts coming, Hosmer at least is someone I can have for the next 3 years after this. I'm fundamentally against trading the best player in a keeper league; there is alot going on here and my options are limited
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:07 pm

fast dogs wrote:Pujols for 3 of Homer Gordon Kennedy Lester correct. Also correct on last chance probably to acquire Hosmer even at a fairly expensive price.The only other player he has is Andrus that he could deal in place of Gordon, but right now asking for him appears to be a deal breaker.

I would be happy receiving Hosmer, Andrus, and his choice of Kennedy/Lester for Pujols. That looks like a very fair trade. The difference between Andrus and Gordon isn't huge, but I'd rather have my SS filled. Even if Andrus is only a 3 category player (albeit elite in all three categories).

fast dogs wrote:Adding to my woes is Lee, Votto & Pedroia are also in their final contract year so this might be my best year to contend and trading Pujols for under market value doesn't help that cause. I've painted myself into a corner with all the expiring contracts coming, Hosmer at least is someone I can have for the next 3 years after this. I'm fundamentally against trading the best player in a keeper league; there is alot going on here and my options are limited

That is rough. I'd probably just go for the win now and worry about rebuilding after this. Unless you can scrap everyone for new keepers right away.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Beeblebrox » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:11 pm

fast dogs wrote:Adding to my woes is Lee, Votto & Pedroia are also in their final contract year so this might be my best year to contend and trading Pujols for under market value doesn't help that cause. I've painted myself into a corner with all the expiring contracts coming, Hosmer at least is someone I can have for the next 3 years after this. I'm fundamentally against trading the best player in a keeper league; there is alot going on here and my options are limited

Given that....I'd hold on to Pujols, try to win the title this year, and then start fresh next season.

The other option would be to blow up the team now....dealing Pujols, Votto, Pedrioa, and Lee....and build an entirely new 7-keeper core that you can hold onto for another 3 years, and aim for a mini-dynasty in the league.

It seems like trading only Pujols is trying to walk the middle of the road, and that's no way to win.
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions