Bautista McCutchen Trade - Keeper League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Bautista McCutchen Trade - Keeper League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bautista McCutchen Trade - Keeper League

Postby bconstant4 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:07 am

I'm in a deep 18 keeper league. My team is rebuilding and is set to peak in about 2-3 years.
Hitting categories are: AB, H, R, HR, RBI, BB, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG

I have been offered the following trade:
I send Jose Bautista and Cliff Lee
I receive Andrew McCutchen and Clayton Kershaw

Should I do it? I'm scared that Bautista's prime could be gone by the time my team peaks. On the other end, I'm also nervous about how good McCutchen actually is and what his potential is (30/30? 40/40?! or much less?) and whether he is worth Bautista... Or if I should just keep Bautista and hope he plays for a long time at a high level. I've tried to get players like J Upton and Tulo to no avail. I'm wondering who will be better in about 2-3 years I guess.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
bconstant4
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bautista McCutchen Trade - Keeper League

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:53 am

I would probably hold out for a bigger return on Bautista and Lee. Kershaw is very nice, but all pitchers are an injury risk regardless of age. McCutchen has some solid potential, but I'd think you can do better than him with Bautista. Especially since your additional hitting categories favor Bautista- BB, OBP, and SLG make Bautista look even better.

Who owns Mike Stanton? If that owner needs a 3B, I think Bautista would be a good swap for him. Either that or wait until the trade deadline and then move Bautista for an Upton type.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:18 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:I would probably hold out for a bigger return on Bautista and Lee. Kershaw is very nice, but all pitchers are an injury risk regardless of age. McCutchen has some solid potential, but I'd think you can do better than him with Bautista. Especially since your additional hitting categories favor Bautista- BB, OBP, and SLG make Bautista look even better.

Who owns Mike Stanton? If that owner needs a 3B, I think Bautista would be a good swap for him. Either that or wait until the trade deadline and then move Bautista for an Upton type.

i agree with the first part, but man do you have a thing for stanton. i'm pretty much not moving bautista unless i'm getting early first round value+.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:29 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:but man do you have a thing for stanton.

Yep. I think he is going to be #1 in 2-3 years. Or #1 OF at least. Certainly a 1st round pick.

GiantsFan14 wrote:i'm pretty much not moving bautista unless i'm getting early first round value+.

Would be tough to get that. Maybe keeping Bautista is the best option. Can't see any of the other top 3-4 players being dealt for Bautista. And if Tulo can't be moved, I'd just wait and see if someone younger starts to get better.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bconstant4 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:12 am

Stanton is not available, neither is Tulo, Upton, Prince, Miggy, Pujols, etc.

Bautista's age (31), coupled with his position after this year (OF), are greatly decreasing my value for getting a young stud. Thus, this being the best offer I've gotten so far. So, can anyone project a Bautista vs. McCutchen two years down the road? Or is Bautista still gonna be better you guys think?
bconstant4
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Element » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:46 am

I would normally agree with Urban and SF regarding his trade value. There are two things here that could change my stance in your situation.

1. You're rebuilding
2. You keep 18 players.

It's more or less a dynasty league depending on your keeper rules. Given age into consideration here, it's not too lopsided. If you're unable to add a top tier bat then maybe you can add another 2nd tier one. Who else does this guy have? Try to milk this.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 693)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:26 am

I am fine with the trade. I think you could potentially ask for more here but you are getting two players who haven't hit their prime yet for two players that are past their prime years. For this year, you are giving up the better player in Bautista but long term I would rather have McCutchen and Kershaw.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby bconstant4 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:18 pm

What if I got Ike Davis as well for minimal pieces extra?

And would R Zimmerman be better than McCutchen for the future, kind of worried about injuries with him.
bconstant4
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:28 pm

bconstant4 wrote:What if I got Ike Davis as well for minimal pieces extra?

And would R Zimmerman be better than McCutchen for the future, kind of worried about injuries with him.

I would try to swing a McCutchen, Zimmerman, Kershaw for Bautista, Lee, + another player deal. That way you get two younger guys in Zimmerman and McCutchen, even though both have some question marks. And you get the younger SP of the two.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bconstant4 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:32 pm

No no, it's two different teams. Either I trade bautista for mccutchen or zimmerman...
bconstant4
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions