Is Shelby Miller going to get a rotation spot? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Is Shelby Miller going to get a rotation spot?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Shelby Miller going to get a rotation spot?

Postby TheGhost » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Just wondering if Shelby Miller will be in the rotation out of spring training with St Louis? Thoughts?
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 101)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Shelby Miller going to get a rotation spot?

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:27 pm

My guess is absolutely not without injuries. Wainwright, Carpenter and Garcia are in. If the Cardinals are trying hard to sign Oswalt, that makes four. Lohse/Westbrook/McClellan fill the last spot.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:54 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:My guess is absolutely not without injuries. Wainwright, Carpenter and Garcia are in. If the Cardinals are trying hard to sign Oswalt, that makes four. Lohse/Westbrook/McClellan fill the last spot.

Agreed. Especially if Oswalt signs. Then I see a very small chance of Miller getting a spot (barring a couple of injuries).
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Element » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:48 am

They're also unlikely to want to start his arbitration clock so soon. It would end up costing them millions in the long run. He got 16 starts in AA last year. He'll start there again.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 693)

Postby TheGhost » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:28 am

Thanks for the input. So which young prospects have a legit chance of making an impact relatively early in the season? Jacob Turner? Maybe Trevor Bauer? Others? Thoughts?
;-D
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 101)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:27 am

I don't see Miller sniffing the big leagues until 2013. Maybe a Sept. callup this year if he makes progress with his secondary pitches. He has a great fastball but he relies on it too much.

TheGhost wrote:Thanks for the input. So which young prospects have a legit chance of making an impact relatively early in the season? Jacob Turner? Maybe Trevor Bauer? Others? Thoughts?
;-D

Guys that could make a difference right away -

Jesus Montero - I do not think the move to Seattle hurts his stock at all. The fact that he's surrounded by a much less potent offense is easily outweighed by the fact that he'll get extra AB on the Mariners as opposed to the Yankees. I don't want to overhype him, but if you want to get excited, read some of the things Project Prospect said about him in their recent top 100 chat.

Bryce Harper - The Nationals have dropped hints that they're ready to hand him the keys to RF. Obviously this happens he can be an impact player right away.

Devin Mesoraco - now that Ramon Hernandez is gone, Mesoraco is going to get regular playing time. If it's a 50-50 split with Hannigan he won't have as much value to start the season, but he has the skills to make an early dent and be the full time starter.

Yonder Alonso - With Rizzo out of the way he has a clear path to playing time. Petco doesn't do him any favors, but there's a lot to like about his swing. Given the barren wasteland that is the NL 1B pool, he makes a very intriguing late round NL-only pick.

Matt Moore - I think enough has been written about him. Given his new contract it's almost assured he'll start the year in the rotation, and he could dominate right out of the gate.

Trevor Bauer - Decent shot to win a rotation spot out of spring training - he's definitely in the right league to thrive, and his high strikeout potential makes him look really exciting.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby praetorian77 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:52 am

A guy to keep an eye on as well is jarrod parker... Threw well for arizona late last year and is now competing in oakland for a spot after he was traded there... I believe he was arizonas top prospect last year as well... Oakland also a huge pitchers park...

Two others, bryan lahair and brett jackson, if he gets the spot... Lahair is the starting first basemen but cubs did trade for rizzo... Lahair was great when called up and tore the cover off the ball in triple a...
praetorian77
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Element » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 am

lane_anasazi2 wrote:I don't see Miller sniffing the big leagues until 2013. Maybe a Sept. callup this year if he makes progress with his secondary pitches. He has a great fastball but he relies on it too much.

TheGhost wrote:Thanks for the input. So which young prospects have a legit chance of making an impact relatively early in the season? Jacob Turner? Maybe Trevor Bauer? Others? Thoughts?
;-D

Guys that could make a difference right away -

Jesus Montero - I do not think the move to Seattle hurts his stock at all. The fact that he's surrounded by a much less potent offense is easily outweighed by the fact that he'll get extra AB on the Mariners as opposed to the Yankees. I don't want to overhype him, but if you want to get excited, read some of the things Project Prospect said about him in their recent top 100 chat.

Bryce Harper - The Nationals have dropped hints that they're ready to hand him the keys to RF. Obviously this happens he can be an impact player right away.

Devin Mesoraco - now that Ramon Hernandez is gone, Mesoraco is going to get regular playing time. If it's a 50-50 split with Hannigan he won't have as much value to start the season, but he has the skills to make an early dent and be the full time starter.

Yonder Alonso - With Rizzo out of the way he has a clear path to playing time. Petco doesn't do him any favors, but there's a lot to like about his swing. Given the barren wasteland that is the NL 1B pool, he makes a very intriguing late round NL-only pick.

Matt Moore - I think enough has been written about him. Given his new contract it's almost assured he'll start the year in the rotation, and he could dominate right out of the gate.

Trevor Bauer - Decent shot to win a rotation spot out of spring training - he's definitely in the right league to thrive, and his high strikeout potential makes him look really exciting.

I'd add Brad Peacock to this list as well. The A's will be going young this season.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 693)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:11 pm

praetorian77 wrote:A guy to keep an eye on as well is jarrod parker... Threw well for arizona late last year and is now competing in oakland for a spot after he was traded there... I believe he was arizonas top prospect last year as well... Oakland also a huge pitchers park...

Two others, bryan lahair and brett jackson, if he gets the spot... Lahair is the starting first basemen but cubs did trade for rizzo... Lahair was great when called up and tore the cover off the ball in triple a...

LaHair is not a prospect. He's definitely a guy to keep an eye on though. Rizzo is a prospect, but doesn't fit the criteria of "prospects who could make an immidiate impact" as he's most likely going to start the season in AAA.

As far as the Oakland pitchers go, I'm not sold that Parker makes the team out of ST. He's only 1 year back from TJ and his control isn't what it could be. Peacock is a good call though. I like him a lot.

Brett Jackson doesn't really excite me as he doesn't do anything really well - he doesn't do anything terribly, either - but I have a hard time seeing him as an everyday player right out of the gate.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions