Help setting up HTH pts league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help setting up HTH pts league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help setting up HTH pts league

Postby CRain » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:54 pm

I'm in the midst of setting up a HTH pts league and need some advice.The scoring settings for pitching will be pretty standard and are as follows :

IP_________3 pts
ER________-2 pts
Wins______10 pts
Losses____ -5 pts
Strikeouts__1 pt
Hits_______-1 pt
Walks______-1 pt
(saves______5 pts)

We haven't decided whether this will be a daily or weekly league yet, so this is a two-part question -

Daily : The daily league will have a max start limit of 7 per week. In order to eliminate fenceposting at the end of the week there will be a "per start penalty" for each start over the limit (teams total starts for the week - 7 x "per start penalty" = points deducted from teams score) Using the settings above, what would be a fair number for this penalty? 25? I'm getting differing opinions...

Weekly : In the weekly league, would be trying to tone down the importance of two-start pitchers and have a "two start penalty" (teams total number of two start pitchers x "two-start penalty" = points deducted from teams score). Again using the settings above , what would be a good number for this penalty ? Not looking to ELIMINATE two-start pitchers, just trying to prevent teams from using 2nd or 3rd-rate pitchers over 1st or 2nd-rate ones simply because the former has two starts that week -

thanks
CRain
T-Ball Trainer

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help setting up HTH pts league

Postby dfa » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:04 am

I can't really speak too well on the daily settings, but I can tell you from my experience that mediocre 2 start pitchers are very overrated. I would also look at your ratings...if you want to reward top pitchers reward things they do well, like striking out guys and punishing averagish pitchers by increasing penalty for earned runs. I would also strongly consider looking at the values of events that pitcher doesn't entirely control, like wins and losses. I mean, as flawed as QS are, I think it's more indicative than a win.

Good luck all the same!
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CRain » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:04 pm

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about using quality starts either - but that's probably the better option to use .I'll tinker with the rest of settings and see what I come up with - Thanks !
CRain
T-Ball Trainer

Postby BoBtheMule » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:45 pm

Why exactly are you taking all strategy out of the management of team's roster?

In a daily league keep the limit at 7 GS and use either a weekly or season long transaction limit. That should be sufficient without going through and negating points, I think.
The more complicated system you have, the more loopholes that will be found.

In a weekly league, the cycle of having some two start pitchers some week and few the next is natural. If you want to lessen it some, use weekly transactions with FAAB instead of a waiver wire -that way it's competitive and teams can use bids defensively as well as offensively.

KISS!
Keep it simple, stupid!

Bob
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CRain » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 am

While I agree that having the game start + transaction limit would be a lot simpler than having to subract points, it had seemed to me to leave a loophole that the point penalty would close ( I guess it depends on how big the bench is). Maybe I'm wrong.
Using a FAAB instead of waivers, while intriguing, seems to be counter to the KISS theory ( and, I'm finding out, can be a hard sell to people not familiar with it) .

Unfortunately, I think you're right that my ideas might be killing some of the strategy - especially the weekly version.

Well, thats why I asked. I was hoping someone had tried these ideas before so I know whether to use them or not.( I've heard of leagues that use the daily version, but I don't know how well it worked over the long haul ). Anyway, thanks for your thoughts- it does help
CRain
T-Ball Trainer

Postby mkultra » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 pm

I totally agree on the "keep it simple" front. Skip the penalties. There are always going to be "loopholes" that savvy managers will try to exploit, particularly in points leagues where you can more easily make up for holes in one spot by going deep in another.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 40)

Return to Commissioner's Corner