Weekly v. Daily League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Weekly v. Daily League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weekly v. Daily League

Postby down.by.law » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:33 am

I've been a daily league player for over 10 years and with families growing and work more stressful, we're leaning toward a weekly league. Just wanted some input people may have on making a successful league and also had a few questions pertaining toward league operations:

-Is it possible to implement 1 move a week for any reasons (injury, suspension, skipped starts, etc)?
-Is it possible to change playoff settings to revert back to daily moves?
-Is one site preferable to another in regards to tweaking league settings?

As always, any input is appreciated
Thanks!
"He's Pressing Right Now And Just Needs To Find His Stroke"
-Wheels
down.by.law
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Weekly v. Daily League

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:14 am

I think the answer to your first two questions is (lamely) that it depends on who you sign up with. Since it's the offseason, I couldn't tell you if CBS allows a change midseason, but I'm leaning towards no since they tend to freeze structural league settings (managers, etc) and only allow commissioner moves (forced trades, waiver order, etc). Since I only do roto, I unfortunately can't give you insight as to how a league can be altered once playoffs arrives.

I will tell you that since going weekly full-time, maintaining one's team has been a lot less hectic. You just set it and forget about it. There's a lot of faith involved in regards to playing time, injuries, and weather, but that's why it's still important to keep up on information during the week. Adding more risk and variability to the league makes it more exciting anyway. Plus, even if you get hosed over by starting Chipper Jones for only two games (due to injury), it's likely that other managers will find themselves in the same situation anyway, making the issue moot.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby down.by.law » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks for the insight. We're going to keep it pretty basic this first year, and see how we like it. Do you find it easier to play Roto rather than H2H using the weekly format? Also, if there are any significant changes i need to make as far as setting go - i'm all ears.
Thanks Again!
"He's Pressing Right Now And Just Needs To Find His Stroke"
-Wheels
down.by.law
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby dfa » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:23 am

Big fan of weekly league...find daily leagues too much work, and I feel like a big way to succeed is to be online at the right time.

Not sure about changing it up for the post-season, sorry! Also not sure if it's possible to make 1 mid week adjustment, because that just opens up some issues in terms of streaming, etc. Am in a weekly on CBS and ESPN, both seem fine!
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:34 am

For Weekly Leagues, I prefer H2H. I'm in a league that allows 1 sub per week that is run through FanStar, but they're a pay site. To the best of my knowledge, neither Yahoo! nor ESPN allow any substitutions if they are set to weekly. I don't know about CBS.

For H2H Weekly, 2-start pitchers are interesting. Starting pitching in general, really. You can't decide on Saturday based on where your ratios are on a questionable start, so on and so forth. You need to make the decisions a week in advance, and sometimes a PPD will push a great Sunday start you had into a miserable Monday match up the following week. The intricacies are small, but as you indicated initially, growing up it gets more and more difficult to commit time to this. I used to play in 6 - 7 leagues per year, and now I'm down to just 2, one of which is weekly, and I've never enjoyed playing more.

Good luck. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby oscar15 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:40 pm

I play in both, and both have advantages and disadvantages that have already been stated by other posters.

I know Yahoo will not allow for subsitutions during the week for weekly leagues. Pretty sure you will have to find a quality pay site for that.

As for which format is best for a weekly league, most of the league members in my league prefer H2H points. We tried, 5x5 roto, and category h2h before we went to points h2h, we will never change back.

Good luck
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Commissioner's Corner