Who to keep? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who to keep?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who to keep?

Postby underweargnome » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:36 am

The keeper lock date is about a month away in one of my leagues and I am not settled on my keepers. We get to keep up to six players with at least one being a pitcher. It is a 12 team, 12 category H2H league with OPS and K/9 in addition to the standard scoring categories. My roster is as follows:

C Mauer
1B M. Cabrera
2B N. Walker
3B M. Reynolds
SS Bartlett
OF Pence, Ellsbury, Bruce
Util Fielder

My pitching staff was pretty brutal with Cain and Weaver being the only possible keepers.

I came in 7th in the regular season barely missing the playoffs with 3 terrible weeks to end the year. I have Miggy, Prince, Ellsbury, Pence, and Weaver in as my keepers currently. I have been going back and forth with the idea of keeping Cain or Bruce as a sixth; the league is in ESPN thus keeping less than six affords me with a pick a round earlier than those who keep the max regardless of draft order (those that use ESPN probably know this).

Thoughts?
underweargnome
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who to keep?

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:43 am

underweargnome wrote:The keeper lock date is about a month away in one of my leagues and I am not settled on my keepers. We get to keep up to six players with at least one being a pitcher. It is a 12 team, 12 category H2H league with OPS and K/9 in addition to the standard scoring categories. My roster is as follows:

C Mauer
1B M. Cabrera ;-D
2B N. Walker
3B M. Reynolds
SS Bartlett
OF Pence ;-D , Ellsbury ;-D , Bruce ;-D
Util Fielder ;-D

My pitching staff was pretty brutal with Cain and Weaver ;-D being the only possible keepers.

I came in 7th in the regular season barely missing the playoffs with 3 terrible weeks to end the year. I have Miggy, Prince, Ellsbury, Pence, and Weaver in as my keepers currently. I have been going back and forth with the idea of keeping Cain or Bruce as a sixth; the league is in ESPN thus keeping less than six affords me with a pick a round earlier than those who keep the max regardless of draft order (those that use ESPN probably know this).

Thoughts?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:45 am

Bruce is a easy lock.
i would keep Cain, and drop Weaver.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Paws » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:48 am

underweargnome wrote:The keeper lock date is about a month away in one of my leagues and I am not settled on my keepers. We get to keep up to six players with at least one being a pitcher. It is a 12 team, 12 category H2H league with OPS and K/9 in addition to the standard scoring categories. My roster is as follows:

C Mauer
1B M. Cabrera ;-D
2B N. Walker
3B M. Reynolds
SS Bartlett
Util Fielder ;-D

My pitching staff was pretty brutal with Cain ;-D and Weaver being the only possible keepers.

Thoughts?
Paws
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby underweargnome » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:02 am

Bruce has always seemed to be streaky to me and leaves me frustrated at times and I understand where his potential and ceiling are at.

One reason why I have thought about keeping two starters is that there is a huge premium on pitchers in this league.
underweargnome
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:49 am

underweargnome wrote:Bruce has always seemed to be streaky to me and leaves me frustrated at times and I understand where his potential and ceiling are at.

One reason why I have thought about keeping two starters is that there is a huge premium on pitchers in this league.

If you are looking to keep Cain, I would much rather drop Pence than Bruce. In an OPS league, I image that Bruce will outperform Pence sometime in the near future. Bruce has more power potential IMO and he is what 3-4 years younger?

Cain instead of Pence would be the play for me. And in a H2H league, its nice to have Cain come playoff time.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigguy1551 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:51 am

underweargnome wrote:Bruce has always seemed to be streaky to me and leaves me frustrated at times and I understand where his potential and ceiling are at.

Bruce has been streaky thoughout his career but he still merits consideration. But, with the option of keeping only 5 i think i would go that way. You should be able to improve on him.
bigguy1551
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby ensanimal » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:35 am

HOOTIE wrote:Bruce is a easy lock.
i would keep Cain, and drop Weaver.

All of this.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:24 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:

C Mauer
1B M. Cabrera ;-D
2B N. Walker
3B M. Reynolds
SS Bartlett
Util Fielder ;-D

My pitching staff was pretty brutal with Cain and Weaver ;-D being the only possible keepers.

Thoughts?

I agree with those choices. I wouldn't keep less than six; if you threw back Bruce for example you'd get a fifth round pick, correct? That's about where you'd take Bruce anyway.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby down.by.law » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:48 am

Gotta Agree:
Miggy, Pence, Ellsbury, Bruce, Prince, Weaver
"He's Pressing Right Now And Just Needs To Find His Stroke"
-Wheels