The 2012 All-Rodney Dangerfield Team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The 2012 All-Rodney Dangerfield Team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The 2012 All-Rodney Dangerfield Team

Postby kab21 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:58 pm

Nice except I don't think Zobrist qualifies for this list (2nd half of the draft) since he is getting picked in the 6th.

Morneau is a boom or bust pick. the kind that I like in the 2nd half of the draft since you can still draft a backup in case he busts.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 173)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:37 am

I'd say Greinke's absolutely elite peripherals compared to his pedestrian ERA last year needs to be worked into this somehow.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Nice list, especially Zobrist.

You can add Brandon Morrow to that list. One of the highest K/9 last year in baseball who was done in by a horrible strand rate.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Ender wrote:I'd say Greinke's absolutely elite peripherals compared to his pedestrian ERA last year needs to be worked into this somehow.

He will still get drafted as a low end SP1, guessing 8-11th SP off the board is a fair guess on where he'll go this year. If he's anywhere close to a bargain, I'll jump on him in every league.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Halo Homers wrote:Nice list, especially Zobrist.

You can add Brandon Morrow to that list. One of the highest K/9 last year in baseball who was done in by a horrible strand rate.

Morrow doesn't deserve any respect until he can figure out how to not suck half the time he's out there, even if 1/3 of the time he looks great. Mental midget.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Halo Homers » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:21 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

Morrow doesn't deserve any respect until he can figure out how to not suck half the time he's out there, even if 1/3 of the time he looks great. Mental midget.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think he definetly deserves to be on the no respect team after that comment.

Here was a comment from Alex Anthopoulus regarding Morrow "I think our outfield defense last year certainly didn't help him, being a fly ball guy," Anthopoulos said. "And I think he continues to get better. I think he's going to get better and there's tremendous upside and tremendous ceiling."

That comment certainly lines up with his unlucky 65% strand rate.

Now that could be a comment from a GM who signed a guy to a justifying a 3 yr / 20M deal, but I think with a ADP over 200 in redraft leagues, he'll out perform that draft postion significantly
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Halo Homers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here was a comment from Alex Anthopoulus regarding Morrow "I think our outfield defense last year certainly didn't help him, being a fly ball guy," Anthopoulos said. "And I think he continues to get better. I think he's going to get better and there's tremendous upside and tremendous ceiling."

Now that could be a comment from a GM who signed a guy to a justifying a 3 yr / 20M deal, but I think with a ADP over 200 in redraft leagues, he'll out perform that draft postion significantly
There was a raging debate about Morrow last season, and how he may just be a guy whose peripherals will just never translate to actual success, that he's an absolute wreck pitching from the stretch, etc. It is absolutely mind numbing owning him and watching him from start to start. What he has going for him is that he strikes a lot of guys out, which is great. However, how long do we let transpire before we stop using the word 'unlucky' if the results don't 'regress to the mean' the way his peripherals seem to indicate they ought to?

Here's the thread, if you want to read it over. Pretty much all sides are represented.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Halo Homers » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Halo Homers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Morrow doesn't deserve any respect until he can figure out how to not suck half the time he's out there, even if 1/3 of the time he looks great. Mental midget.

There was a raging debate about Morrow last season, and how he may just be a guy whose peripherals will just never translate to actual success, that he's an absolute wreck pitching from the stretch, etc. It is absolutely mind numbing owning him and watching him from start to start. What he has going for him is that he strikes a lot of guys out, which is great. However, how long do we let transpire before we stop using the word 'unlucky' if the results don't 'regress to the mean' the way his peripherals seem to indicate they ought to?

Here's the thread, if you want to read it over. Pretty much all sides are represented.

Thanks for providing that link. He did debut a cutter at the end of the year. He needs another ptich. I certinaly understand the skepicism. II'm on the side that he develops that third pitch and becomes a solid 2 or 3 guy, maybe more
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Halo Homers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Halo Homers wrote:

Thanks for providing that link. He did debut a cutter at the end of the year. He needs another ptich. I certinaly understand the skepicism. II'm on the side that he develops that third pitch and becomes a solid 2 or 3 guy, maybe more
If he starts getting runners out while in the stretch, and avoids games where he walks the ballpark, he'll become a much more reliable pitcher. As it is, there's times he's just lights out and unhittable, and other times he just looks terrible. The problem is you're never sure which you're going to get, and there doesn't appear to be rhyme or reason to it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Halo Homers » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:02 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Halo Homers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:There was a raging debate about Morrow last season, and how he may just be a guy whose peripherals will just never translate to actual success, that he's an absolute wreck pitching from the stretch, etc. It is absolutely mind numbing owning him and watching him from start to start. What he has going for him is that he strikes a lot of guys out, which is great. However, how long do we let transpire before we stop using the word 'unlucky' if the results don't 'regress to the mean' the way his peripherals seem to indicate they ought to?

If he starts getting runners out while in the stretch, and avoids games where he walks the ballpark, he'll become a much more reliable pitcher. As it is, there's times he's just lights out and unhittable, and other times he just looks terrible. The problem is you're never sure which you're going to get, and there doesn't appear to be rhyme or reason to it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I went to the link, quite a "debate" :-b
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers