Jason Phillips - what's the deal with his PT? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Phillips - what's the deal with his PT?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jason Phillips - what's the deal with his PT?

Postby stumpak » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:16 pm

Has anyone heard a definitive answer of what the Mets plan to do with Phillips? The conventional wisdom is that he play everyday at either C or 1B, but is this a sure thing?

I am wondering becasue I have him and Pierszynski, and want to trade one of them. If Phillips actually plays every day, I would rather keep him--there is a big advantage in having a C-eligable guy who plays other positions, it means you get 150-160 games of production vice 130 for the typically C-only guy, and I figure AJ would get me something better in return.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby red » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:19 pm

Phillips will play ALMOST everyday; Piazza will catch and play 1b about once a week, taking one of Phillips days away from him; however, on occasion, Phillips will catch ahead of Vance Wilson, and occasion, Vance will catch and Phillips will sit. I think you will see Phillips is more than 90% of the ballgames barring injury; in any case, more than Pierzinski.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MookieNJ » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:23 pm

Pretty much what he said.

All spring I've watched just about every televised Mets spring training game, and the games where Piazza has played first (or a split squad game) I've seen Phillips catch. I saw Vance Wilson come in once to catch in the middle of the game.

Phillips will be an everyday player just about as much as anyone else, and will probably play at least 140 games (if he catches a lot and Piazza is playing first), or as much as 150 (if he's at first most of the time). It mostly depends on what happens with Piazza. If he gets catcher home run mark early in the season and is capable at first, he will play a lot over there and Phillips will mostly catch, where he will need more days off. On the other hand, if Piazza isn't so great at first and the Mets decide to keep him behind the plate most of the time, Phillips will see most of his time at first, which is less strenuous, and he will need less time off.
-Mark

Please rate my team here:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103801
MookieNJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers