Prince Fielder to the Tigers, $214M over 9 years - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prince Fielder to the Tigers, $214M over 9 years

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers, $214M over 9 years

Postby MaudDib » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:I don't think Miggy qualifying at 3B raises his value as much as people think. At least for redraft leagues.

You figure that Miggy was a top 1-2 pick before having 3B eligibility. Assuming he is taken as the #1-2 guy, there is very little chance that a remaining top tier 1B (Pujols, Votto, Gonzo, Fielder and Tex) makes it back to you for round 2 in a redraft. And after Tex, the next best available 1B are the likes of Butler, Morse, Konerko, Hosmer- guys who are not 2nd or 3rd round picks.

A much more likely scenario is that after drafting Miggy, one of the better 3B is still available for Round 2- Wright, Zimmerman, Beltre, or Sandoval.

Miggy qualifying at 3B certainly helps for in season management, but I think he'll be the starting 1B on more fantasy squads than 3B, as 1B has a much more dramatic drop off after the elite.

For standard 12 team, redraft leagues that is.

I also wouldn't draft him banking on the fact that he will get 3B eligibility as you won't know how quickly he will get it. If Cabrera is playing everyday at 3B that is one thing but at the most it seems like something that he might get two starts a week at. If he averages two starts a week, it will take practically two months for him to help your team at the hot corner or about 1/3 of the season. Add in that if he is bad at 3B (which I see no reason he won't be bad or very bad) then they could scrap the plan.

So I don't think this should change anything in draft strategy. Maybe he gets a few more RBI's or Runs or maybe he gets walked a lot which should help his BA but I don't think any of this is enough to change his status.
Last edited by MaudDib on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:31 pm

I know some people are still debating this but..

Tigers manager Jim Leyland confirmed Thursday that Miguel Cabrera will make the move over to third base to accomodate Prince Fielder at first base.

As a miguel cabrera owner in one keeper league I had read it from enough sources/reports to believe it but guess this cant hurt either!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 121)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:19 pm

bigken117 wrote:so who was the mystery team offering 9 years $213 million ?

Similar to JD Drew it feels like Detroit outbid itself.

brutally true. The only unknown info is to find out what the Nationals were offering and then we will have a clear view of how poorly the Tigers negotiated this contract.

"Fielder's agent, Scott Boras, told Jim Bowden on MLB Network Radio that he did not receive an offer from the Tigers on Prince until after news broke of Victor Martinez's season-ending knee injury (Twitter link)." - mlbtraderumors.com

"The Dodgers pushed hard for Prince Fielder for weeks and thought they had a legitimate chance of signing him, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. They offered a seven-year deal worth a little more than $160MM that would have provided the first baseman with the chance to opt out after four seasons. Fielder would have earned $26MM or so for the first four years of the deal and $20MM-plus for its final three years.

The Dodgers met Fielder at an undisclosed location a few weeks ago and outgoing owner Frank McCourt approved the team's proposal. Though the Dodgers aren’t unhappy with James Loney, they wanted to add an elite bat to their lineup. The Nationals and Tigers were also finalists for Fielder, whose nine-year, $214MM deal becomes official at a press conference in Detroit this afternoon.

The meeting between Boras and the Dodgers took place in Dallas, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown. Dodgers execs visited Boras at his Newport Beach offices about a week ago, Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times tweets."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/d ... -deal.html
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 68)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Hanley/Reyes and A-Rod/Jeter aren't as "computer gamey" in the sense that a player is being moved to an easier position.

MCab moving from 1B to 3B after playing 4 seasons primarily at 1B, and being 6'4 and 240lbs........LOL
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:34 pm

I love the thought of Miggy and Prince terrorizing pitchers, but I can't get the nitemare out of my head of how many bunts and groundballs are going to turn into hits and errors as Miggy flounders at his "natural position" 3B.As long as his embarrassment in the field doesn't effect his hitting, the addition of Prince could make Cabrera a Triple crown canidate.
Conversley, Verlander won't be in the hunt for Cy Young awards as he may revert to trying to K everyone out so as to keep the ball away from Miggy, who will (I hope only figuratively) play third like a drunken fat man bobbing for apples. Will there be a worse fielding team than the Tigers in 2012?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 pm

moochman wrote:I love the thought of Miggy and Prince terrorizing pitchers, but I can't get the nitemare out of my head of how many bunts and groundballs are going to turn into hits and errors as Miggy flounders at his "natural position" 3B.As long as his embarrassment in the field doesn't effect his hitting, the addition of Prince could make Cabrera a Triple crown canidate.
Conversley, Verlander won't be in the hunt for Cy Young awards as he may revert to trying to K everyone out so as to keep the ball away from Miggy, who will (I hope only figuratively) play third like a drunken fat man bobbing for apples. Will there be a worse fielding team than the Tigers in 2012?

The good news here is that most AL contenders have the same issue.. A-Rod is broken, and I'm sure he will be quite immoble come august. Youkilis in Boston has the same issue. It would be the same in Texas, except they have Michael Young to fill in for Beltre. The Angels have some sort of wierd Callaspo-Izturez combination, which I'm sure will be fine defensively, but atrocious offensively. outside of the Rays everyone has some problem at 3rd so it's not really a detrimental issue to the tigers.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 403)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:except they have Michael Young to fill in for Beltre.

@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:12 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
moochman wrote:I love the thought of Miggy and Prince terrorizing pitchers, but I can't get the nitemare out of my head of how many bunts and groundballs are going to turn into hits and errors as Miggy flounders at his "natural position" 3B.As long as his embarrassment in the field doesn't effect his hitting, the addition of Prince could make Cabrera a Triple crown canidate.

The good news here is that most AL contenders have the same issue.. A-Rod is broken, and I'm sure he will be quite immoble come august. Youkilis in Boston has the same issue. It would be the same in Texas, except they have Michael Young to fill in for Beltre. The Angels have some sort of wierd Callaspo-Izturez combination, which I'm sure will be fine defensively, but atrocious offensively. outside of the Rays everyone has some problem at 3rd so it's not really a detrimental issue to the tigers.

Oh, by no means is this not a serious upgrade at 3rd just due to the bat, but the Tigers CF may be the only plus defender in their everyday line-up. should be pretty interesting.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:43 pm

With the exception for Porcello, the Tigers don't have a groundball staff, or it could be worse. I'll be shocked to see Miggy playing when Porcello or whoever the 5th starter ends up being. Verlander, Scherzer, and Fister will have to deal with Miggy at 3rd.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 126)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Halo Homers wrote:With the exception for Porcello, the Tigers don't have a groundball staff, or it could be worse. I'll be shocked to see Miggy playing when Porcello or whoever the 5th starter ends up being. Verlander, Scherzer, and Fister will have to deal with Miggy at 3rd.

Jim Leyland scoffs at your in depth understanding of the game
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers