Need help with keepers...My team won last years so its hard - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Need help with keepers...My team won last years so its hard

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need help with keepers...My team won last years so its hard

Postby scorpiorlr » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:49 pm

My team won it all last year and came in 2nd the year before that so its hard to only choose 16 players to keep. We have a minor league roster of 8 players we keep along with this and used those players to trade and build my team. I am good at going deep in the minors and finding talent that 2 years down the road everybody wants and pays high for this is how I made this team so strong. We are a h2h league with 12 managers. The competition is stiff. Our 16 keepers are due at the end of this week and this is what I have come up with. Any thoughts opinions or changes would be greatly appreciated. I will comment back or answer any of yours.

1. Russell Martin C Keep
2. Prince Fielder 1st Keep
3. Robinson Cano 2b Keep
4. Evan Longoria 3b Keep
6. Jose Reyes ss Keep
7. Hunter Pence OF Keep
8. Michael Bourn OF Keep
9. Corey Hart OF Keep
10. Shaun Marcum SP Keep
11. Trevor Cahill SP Keep
12. Josh Beckett SP Keep
13. Ricky Romero SP Keep
14. Ian Kennedy SP Keep
15. Jair Jurrjens SP Keep
(Need one or changes)

Austin Jackson OF Maybe
Ryan Roberts 2b Maybe
Jeff Francoeur OF Maybe
Gordon Beckham2b Maybe
Jason Motte C Maybe
Josh Collmenter SP Maybe

These are the ones I will for sure cut.

Francisco Rodriguez RP Cut
Philip Humber RP Cut
Bobby Parnell RP Cut
Eric O'Flaherty RP Cut
Josh Tomlin SP Cut
Joe Nathan RP Cut

This is my minor league roster some of which will possibly be called up this season.

1 Darnell, James 3B Padres
2 Alonso, Yonder 1B Reds
3 Altuve, Jose 2B Astros
4 Marte, Starling CF Pirates
5 Profar, Jurickson SS Rangers
6 Jungman, Taylor SP
7 MacPhee, Zack 2B/SS
8 Brown, Gary CF Giants

Again thanks in advance for any help and I will be sure to look at your questions and comment back.
scorpiorlr
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need help with keepers...My team won last years so its h

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:03 pm

Well, I know it's sometimes tough to fill the catcher position, but you would really keep Russell Martin over young guys like Gordon Beckham and Jason Motte? Maybe it's the production angle ... I still think that those two guys would be more interesting to have on the team due to their potential. I say keep those two and dump Martin.

Either way, I think you have another great shot at winning no matter what you choose.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:52 pm

For me the last spot comes down to a choice between Roberts, who has 20/20 potential and should provide both 2B/3B insurance should one of your starters go down (or even be a capable starter should you want to flip one of Cano/Longoria for a piece that 'puts you over' to continue your run of success). The other consideration I'd make would be Collmenter, only because it's H2H which makes me hate his K Rate less than in Roto.

Also, you have Jason Motte listed as a C, when he's a RP. Not that it matters.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby nchampagne » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:03 pm

For me it is between Beckham and Roberts. I would lean towards Roberts because of his positional versatility, but you could go with Beckham as well.
nchampagne
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby scorpiorlr » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:13 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:Well, I know it's sometimes tough to fill the catcher position, but you would really keep Russell Martin over young guys like Gordon Beckham and Jason Motte? Maybe it's the production angle ... I still think that those two guys would be more interesting to have on the team due to their potential. I say keep those two and dump Martin.

Either way, I think you have another great shot at winning no matter what you choose.

I hear your argument about Martin and typically I don't value catchers, closers or relievers as there are always ones to pick up. The only reason I really decided on Martin is because he is with the yanks, who no longer have Montero and should provide a lots of stats at that fairly weak position.

Beckham scares me as he has yet to come near his number a few years back. I know a new manager could change that though.

I also still can possibly flip some of my maybes for another keeper so tahts always in the back of my head.
scorpiorlr
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby scorpiorlr » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:15 pm

bigh0rt wrote:For me the last spot comes down to a choice between Roberts, who has 20/20 potential and should provide both 2B/3B insurance should one of your starters go down (or even be a capable starter should you want to flip one of Cano/Longoria for a piece that 'puts you over' to continue your run of success). The other consideration I'd make would be Collmenter, only because it's H2H which makes me hate his K Rate less than in Roto.

Also, you have Jason Motte listed as a C, when he's a RP. Not that it matters.

LOL yeah I meant as a CL now that he is supposed to be the definite closer.

I struggle with Roberts because could he be a fluke? Last years lucky man. I grabbed him off the wire early so to keep him over another is so hard to do.
scorpiorlr
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Element » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:20 pm

I think that Motte holds the most value for your last keeper. I like Brian Roberts too, but you already have Cano and I'm sure that Roberts is going to be an easy redraft if you really want him.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby scorpiorlr » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Seems the world wants Motte or Roberts. I need to swing maybe a two for one trade and clear up a bit of space.
scorpiorlr
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:41 pm

With the 16th keeper spot, I take a gamble on the closer in Motte. Roberts would be my second choice.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby scorpiorlr » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Well much to my luck and idiocy (A deadly combination no doubt) it turns out I did not have a number 5 in my list. Just skipped right over it so I kept both Motte and Roberts lol. Unless you see another change needed. I know some people think Martin is overvalued but I feel I can get Beckham back in the draft and if not I am loaded at 2nd base.
scorpiorlr
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions