Need help with my final keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Need help with my final keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need help with my final keeper

Postby BigW27 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm in a 13 team roto league. So far I've selected four keepers and I need help selecting my final one. Here are the four keepers I selected:

1) Jose Bautista
2) Buster Posey
3) Chase utley
4) Michael Morse
5)

For my final keeper slot, I narrowed it down to the following players: Matt Moore, Bryce Harper, Zack Greinke and Dan Haren.

Here are the stat categories:
Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Strikeouts (K), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP), Net Stolen Bases (NSB)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS), Net Saves (NSV)
BigW27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need help with my final keeper

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Whew, tough one. I would select Greinke as the fifth. However, I would consider also keeping either Moore or Haren over Utley. I don't think Utley will be more than he is right now, which is something along the lines of 15 or so HR, a .280 average, and injury worries. Might as well go with the surefire statistics in Haren or the super potential of Moore.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Greinke for me. Harper doesn't even come close to entering the equation for me and as hyped as I am for Moore, I'd take either proven commodity in Haren and Greinke over him at this point.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby nchampagne » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:58 pm

I would go Grienke as your 5th. Also, you could keep Haren over Utley, but I also would not blame you if you went the other way. I think he still has a good year or two left if he stays on the field, which obv is a risk with him.
nchampagne
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:00 pm

nchampagne wrote:I would go Grienke as your 5th. Also, you could keep Haren over Utley, but I also would not blame you if you went the other way. I think he still has a good year or two left if he stays on the field, which obv is a risk with him.
I agree with Haren over Utley as well. For some reason I didn't even notice his name on the list. He's a guy I'm avoiding everywhere this year.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby BigW27 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Excellent guys thanks for the advice. One of the reasons I'm skeptical about Greinke is because they will lose fielder to Free agency and Braun for (50 games). After those two are gone the hitting won't be good. Thus they may blow a few wins for him. Harper I think will come up this year, Now the issue is when...during Spring Training or a late call up. But my league will pounce on this guy If i let him go. Matt Moore's potential is very intriguing and there's not much that should be said about Haren, especially with Pujols providing a few extra runs. I could see myself letting Utley go and either picking Moore or Harper. Hmmmm what an a dilemma. Anyway thanks for the help guys, If anyone else wants to comment go right ahead.
BigW27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Bautista
Posey
Greinke
Haren
Morse

Those are my five. Utley scares the poop out of me. I want nothing to do with that guy. Thankfully, you have several solid options to keep ahead of him. These are your best 5, IMO. Although I wouldn't fault you for swapping Morse for Moore. 1B is deep and I don't expect Morse to repeat (or flop .... just feel I need to qualify that). I would try to find someone really high on both him and Morse if you could.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Swap out Greinke for Utley. And then if it comes down to Harper and Moore for the last spot, I'd go with the hitter in Harper.

BigW27 wrote:I'm skeptical about Greinke is because they will lose fielder to Free agency and Braun for (50 games). After those two are gone the hitting won't be good. Thus they may blow a few wins for him.

Just to comment on this- Greinke is an elite pitcher. Definitely a top 5 SP in the NL as far as talent goes. I wouldn't count him out because Fielder left and Braun got suspended. Good pitchers usually win games. And even without those guys, MIL still has average hitting and a good bullpen behind him. And with run support varying, who knows what will happen. I'd rather speculate on talent instead of wins. And Greinke is top notch in the talent department.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ensanimal » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Greinke for me and swap out Utley for Moore. I think it's worth the risk of Moore over Haren as this may be your last chance at him.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:23 am

Greinke
Moore over Utley

Never base a pitcher based on lineup.
Good or bad, a pitcher never knows what he will get on his days.
Harang on SD was 15th in run support as a example.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions