How much better is Santana than Napoli? Keeper dilemma - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

How much better is Santana than Napoli? Keeper dilemma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How much better is Santana than Napoli? Keeper dilemma

Postby jtwise » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:34 pm

I am in a 14 team roto league (standard 5X5 with OBP instead of Avg). We get to keep 6 total players (one of the players must be rookie eligible).

We have keepers due in the next week and I am debating on a current trade offer of the following:

I give:
Carlos Santana
*two late round picks

I get:
*3rd round pick (after keepers)
*8th round pick

Currently, my keepers are Kemp, J. Upton, Strasburg, Lincecum, and Trout (rookie player). The options for my last keeper are: Santana, Napoli, Pence, Uggla, Konerko, and Freeman.

My plan was to keep Santana as I feel he could be especially strong in this format of OBP instead of Avg.

But the trade offer is interesting enough to make me wonder if keeping Napoli, Pence or Uggla (least likely) is not that much of a downgrade from Santana and would enable me to recoup some of the draft picks I had traded last year to win the league. I currently only have 8 picks in the first 10 rounds.

Any thoughts would be appreciated on these key questions:
*How would you rate my keeper options?
*Would you do the trade?
jtwise
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How much better is Santana than Napoli? Keeper dilemma

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:02 pm

I prefer Napoli to Santana quite a bit at least this year. Since you have a bunch of players all with similar value for your last keeper it definitely makes sense to deal the extra players for picks.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby MaudDib » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:45 pm

I like Santana a lot more than Napoli. There is no way I trust Napoli to have a season like he did last year. Those second half numbers are unsustainable and he is likely to never have a season like he did in 2011.

Saying that, it isn't a bad deal. Getting those early picks would be very nice but I think I would rather have the better keeper in Santana and worry about the draft later.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby fast dogs » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:27 pm

I'd rather have an overall #100-105 pick plus 1 of Napoli, Pence or Uggla than Santana. Barring an injury none of these guys will be passing your top 4 keepers spot so you aren't really risking that much losing Santana and you are making a big pick gain.
14 teams X 5 regular keepers=70 2 rounds of 14, depending where the pick is in the 3rd round is a very nice upgrade where you have similiar options to Santana already
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 300)

Postby ensanimal » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:54 pm

I would make that trade and get the extra early picks. I would also keep Pence over Napoli or the others.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 am

There's no way I don't keep Pence over either Catcher, and I'd definitely make that trade and improve your draft position.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby jtwise » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks for the insights so far. I hear the thought on keeping Pence, but that would leave me with four of the six keepers being OF (Kemp, Upton, Pence, and Trout) which concerns me a little, especially in a 14 team league.

Would be interested in any others thoughts.
jtwise
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Element » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:00 am

jtwise wrote:Thanks for the insights so far. I hear the thought on keeping Pence, but that would leave me with four of the six keepers being OF (Kemp, Upton, Pence, and Trout) which concerns me a little, especially in a 14 team league.

Would be interested in any others thoughts.

Take the value now and worry about the rest later. If you don't like Pence you could at least move him after your draft for a position of need.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 757)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 am

Make any trades you can and then keep Pence as your last keeper.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:38 am

I would keep Santana- I don't think the draft picks are enough compensation for him in a keeper league. With the extra 3rd round pick, there are a minimum of 112 players off the board. I don't think having an extra guy in this range for a season is enough to merit losing Santana long term.

Your roster consists mainly of younger, elite-yet-still-growing players- Kemp, J. Upton, Strasburg, Lincecum, and Trout. That is an amazing foundation and I think adding Santana into the mix gives you a HUGE advantage long term. Not for 2012, where Napoli is probably the safer play. I can't think of many catchers who managed that feat. Mauer was better, but Santana has a much higher power ceiling, and if his BA ever comes around, he could be even better than Mauer was at his injury free prime.

I would trade Napoli..
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions