Trade Veto Button: Necessary? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trade Veto Button: Necessary?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do you believe that the Trade Veto button should be available in a league?

Yes, a Trade Veto button is important.
38%
No, a Trade Veto button is unnecessary.
63%

Total votes : 16

Trade Veto Button: Necessary?

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:23 pm

I know there has been discussion about it here on the board in the past, but I'm curious what people's positions are. Why should it exist? Or, on the other hand, is it irrelevant? Thanks for any insight on whatever side you're on.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Veto Button: Necessary?

Postby Merlin401 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:48 am

I think its important. As impartial as someone might be, you simply can't have someone with a stake in a league deciding on what is fair and what is not. Everyone needs to have a voice. The only alternative is to have a neutral third party to judge trade fairness.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby converge241 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:26 am

unnecessary - if there's a veto button people will use it to protect their spots as applicable
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 121)

Postby mkultra » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:22 pm

It all depends on what happens when I click it.

Does the veto kick in automatically at some threshold (1/2 the league)? If so, then no, I don't think so. Leagues are not managed by committee. A well-run league shouldn't need to do anything other than trust the Commish's judgment.

THAT SAID, I do think there's a need for some kind of "I think this is a BS trade" notification for managers, especially if trades are executed automatically. Sometimes the Commish isn't paying attention. Even if the Commish disagrees with the "veto mob", a bunch of people complaining about a trade should be talked about, if only to make sure everyone is clear on the guidelines. It's no fun when people get bitter over trades and let personal grudges creep in.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:18 pm

I agree with you on the bitterness, and that is why it is still important to have the commissioner available to make the final call just in case. As long as the commissioner is trustworthy that is.

I have found that the veto button causes more of a stir than needed. The minute someone sees "Vetoes: 1" people get antsy and demand to hear either a trade defense or the outing of the vetoing manager. If there are three vetoes, emotions start rolling. I just feel that the button could cause a lot more frustration than it's worth, where ideally all managers would believe that everyone is capable of making a rational decision concerning their rosters.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:27 am

I have a lot of thoughts on this issue, but they can be boiled down: it's all about the managers.

A veto button will not a save a league with bad managers.

A veto button is unnecessary in a league with good managers.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 99)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:46 am

If you have a league full of intelligent, active managers who are all playing to win or to do what is best for their own team, then there exists no reason to have one. Unfortunately these seem to be a rarity.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby bigmck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:05 pm

bigh0rt wrote:If you have a league full of intelligent, active managers who are all playing to win or to do what is best for their own team, then there exists no reason to have one. Unfortunately these seem to be a rarity.

If you have a league with the above, that is when I definately WOULD have one. A win at all costs must have a VETO. I believe in having it set to half the league with a one day time limit. This would give the chance for it to be used if needed, but the time period would be short enough so that it probably would not be used on 95% of the trades.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby mkultra » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Why a 1-day limit? That would seem to:

- Limit its effectiveness depending on how busy various people are.
- Encourage knee-jerk "when in doubt, veto" reactions rather than "let me think about/discuss it" decisions.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:23 pm

bigmck wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:If you have a league full of intelligent, active managers who are all playing to win or to do what is best for their own team, then there exists no reason to have one. Unfortunately these seem to be a rarity.

If you have a league with the above, that is when I definately WOULD have one. A win at all costs must have a VETO. I believe in having it set to half the league with a one day time limit. This would give the chance for it to be used if needed, but the time period would be short enough so that it probably would not be used on 95% of the trades.

I'm confused by this. "Win at all costs" = completely lopsided trade?

And why have a short time limit? That would seem to cause all kinds of problems.

I stand by my statement that a league veto is never a good thing. It creates a lot of resentment and bad feelings for nothing. It's also insulting to a manager's intelligence. If I want to trade Albert Pujols for a prospect package of Shelby Miller and Julio Tehran, who are you to tell me I'm getting ripped off and force me to not make that trade? Maybe I think Pujols is headed for a fall and Miller/Tehran are going to be the next Halladay and Verlander. Maybe that's completely wrong, but there's no way that some random group of 9-15 other managers gets to make that call for me. Especially not when they have a vested interest in not seeing other teams improve.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 99)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner