Thoughts on this trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Thoughts on this trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on this trade?

Postby OnDeck » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Looking for some advice on this. I'm in a dynasty keeper league were we can own prospects as well.

Who wins this trade? Is it an upgrade for me?

Jamie Garcia, SP
Grady Sizemore, OF
Edward Salcedo, 3B prospect

for

Logan Morrison, OF
JJ Hardy, SS
Mark Buerhle, SP

I would be receiving the send part of this deal. Right now I have Ian Desmand at SS. My OF is a hodgepodge currently of Sizemore, Chris Young, Melky Cabrera, Denard Span.
OnDeck
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on this trade?

Postby MashinSpuds » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm not sure if it would really be an upgrade for you, but you would definitely get more of the known quantities. Garcia is the best player of the trade, but Sizemore is all sorts of iffy (what is he going to do?) and Salcedo is still a little too raw (according to John Sickels) to really know what he's going to do as well. Aside from Garcia, the person receiving this trade is rolling the dice.

Hardy and Buerhle are veterans and you know what you'll likely get. They're bodies to help the stats, but not help them too drastically. Morrison is a bit of a risk, but I think he'll be a solid contributor to your outfield (though not in the power department beyond 15 HR, probably).

Like I said, not likely a glaring upgrade, but the Morrison/Hardy/Buerhle side could probably sleep easier at night for now.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby bigguy1551 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:21 pm

I think it is somewhat of an upgrade. There is one player on each side that is an unproven commodity. IMO getting Morrison who has a job this year instead of Salcedo, who is still just a prospect gives you the edge.
bigguy1551
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:17 pm

I'd make the trade, I'm not very high on Sizemore ever having much fantasy value again and you're getting some pretty decent players in return.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby OnDeck » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:22 pm

I think the biggest concern would be Buehrle in this trade.. I'm not too worried about trading away Salcedo at this point, since I do have Nick Castellanos as my other 3B prospect right now. Same with at SS since I do have Desmond and Machado as a prospect as well.

My pitching is my weak point, but I don't see Garcia moving into a top of the line fantasy starter.. more of a 2/3 guy
OnDeck
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:31 am

OnDeck wrote:My pitching is my weak point, but I don't see Garcia moving into a top of the line fantasy starter.. more of a 2/3 guy

I think that is a fair assessment, but he is still relatively young and could make an improvement. I do like the trade however (given your team's current circumstances).
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OnDeck » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:42 am

I think I may go for it.. this will improve my team a slight bit I think..

Like I said above, my pitching is a weak spot, but in a 19 team league, it's hard to come up with a solid core of pitching.

My top 3 guys will now be Daniel Hudson, Trevor Cahill, and Mark Buehrle or Aroldis Chapman. Then a handful of guys who could contribute in Matt Harrison, Josh Collmenter, and Chris Narvelson. And pitching prospects Kyle Drabek, Andy Oliver, and Julio Teheran could see some more time this season to help me out.
OnDeck
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby FantasyTeamAdvice » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Take that trade all day, you are giving up one decent SP in Garcia, and one cripple in Sizemore, who always returns healthy for about 10 games then goes on the DL.

In return you get a SP who will give you 200+ innings, and SS who hits with pop, and a young OF who we aren't sold on.
FantasyTeamAdvice
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:34 pm

I take the Hardy side of that deal everyday.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MaudDib » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:24 pm

I can see why this deal is good for you and I think it would be good for your team if you take this deal. BUT I do think Garcia has the ability to be a top 15 SP and very well could make that leap this year. Some of his advanced numbers have improved and I think he has the ability to move himself into another tier. So I could see this deal blowing up in your face. But there is no guarantee that will happen and again filling some of the holes in your lineup could be very good for your team.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions