Thoughts on correcting a "mistake" pick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Thoughts on correcting a "mistake" pick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts on correcting a "mistake" pick

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:51 pm

bigmck wrote:
converge241 wrote:
bigmck wrote:
Does that mean something?

Yeah emphasizing how bad it was that the NFBC would do something like this with the money involved and all as in I would be shocked to see something like this in some free public league let along the national championship leagues

I have never heard of an official "National Fantasy Baseball Championship". Anyone can call their league anything. This sounds like some guy that just called his league that.

That league absolutely does exist, but I have a sneaking suspicion this league is not that league :-?
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mkultra » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:31 pm

NFBC is very much a real thing. But, it's a serious money competition that I really doubt behavior like that would fly in.

Some leagues, however, do "NFBC-style" play, which basically just uses their rules a more "expert" template than the default settings on most sites. It's basically a deeper league (30 players, 23 Active) with constrained pickups. I suspect that's what's going on here.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Not sure why folks think this is some other NFBC (?)

Heres the site..

http://nfbc.stats.com/baseball/home/nfbc/index.asp

its "THE" NFBC, thats why everyone was shocked. Well everyone aside from the guy who asked for the change and was allowed. Todd Zola and I had a conversation about how this wouldnt even happen in the smallest free league let alone the NFBC. Just was looking for some thoughts outside NFBC leagues.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:39 pm

btw aside from this, this was a new league format the NFBC has been pushing and it was a nice experience. 15 teams, 50 rounds, no pickups. Previous years I have done the other formats NFBC offers.

No trades of course as well, but thats a standard for the NFBC.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Also they ruled that because no one took Betances it was okay, but heres the issues:

1) Some people may have altered their draft plans if Gomes was not available. in the NFBC when you are dealing with 15 teams and starting 5 OFs and youre in the late parts of a 50 round draft, Gomes might be attractive to some.
2) Some people may have seen Betances falling and tried to push him another round. Now the risk is anyone can take Betances before youre next pick but what you cant expect is someone going back in "time" (the draft order) and retroactively changing that
3) They made Gomes available to anyone who picked in these 16 picks between BUT then they would have to cut a player and said no one could then swap for that newly cut player. Said cut player for Gomes would only be available to teams going forward.

I had zero interest in Gomes or Betances but obviosuly some others may have and the principle is this should not happen.

If this happened in any of the leagues I run, I would say "No, other picks have been made since and this affects all that". The ONLY exception should be if the very next person hasnt picked yet. And even that would elicit some groans from the masses ;)
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:04 am

converge241 wrote:If this happened in any of the leagues I run, I would say "No, other picks have been made since and this affects all that". The ONLY exception should be if the very next person hasnt picked yet. And even that would elicit some groans from the masses ;)

Yeah, I agree with that. In a slow draft there's really no excuse for posting the wrong player. I'm not sure I'd even let someone change a pick after they'd posted even if no one else had picked yet. It sets a bad precedent. I can just imagine someone editing his post in the same 30 second window that the next person picks, and it being the same player... god, what a headache.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 41)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner