Changing up pitching categories... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Changing up pitching categories...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Changing up pitching categories...

Postby chadalac99 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:54 am

Currently in a 5x6 12 team h2h yahoo non keeper league.

HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP/ W, SV, K, BB, ERA, WHIP

I don't know if it will officially go down in my league, but I've at least brought up the discussion amongst our league members and wanted some outside input/opinions on the matter.

The thought was replacing the Wins category with a different pitching category, my suggestion was quality starts. The reason being is I feel the Win stat for a pitcher is little overrated and a stat that quite frankly, the pitcher has little to no control over (he only gets the win if his offense scores for him). Quality starts however is a stat that is more of a rewarding stat for a pitcher and is based on what he does have control over. A pitcher could give up 5,6,7,8 runs and still earn a win in many cases. I don't think an outing of that sort is something to be rewarded of. In a quality start, the ABSOLUTE WORST outcome is a minimum of 6 innings and a maximum of 3 runs earned, (4.50 era).

Any thoughts, suggestions?
C - Pierzynski
1b - Dunn
2b - Cano
3b - Beltre
SS - Rotating
OF - Bruce, De Aza, Cespedes
Util - Encarnacion
BN - Asdrubal, Adam Jones, Freddie Freeman

SP - Price, Gallardo, Rotating SP
RP - Myers, Perez, Nathan, Perkins, Wilhelmsen
chadalac99
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Changing up pitching categories...

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:02 pm

It's a reasonable change that a lot of leagues make. It seems weird to have more pitching than hitting categories though, especially when two categories are somewhat redundant in BB and WHIP.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby Merlin401 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:20 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:It's a reasonable change that a lot of leagues make. It seems weird to have more pitching than hitting categories though, especially when two categories are somewhat redundant in BB and WHIP.

Indeed... whats wrong with having runs like anyone else? Otherwise speedy guys seem like they get devalued too much.

Or why don't you just make it 5x5 by replacing K and BB by K:BB?

I'm not a fan of quality starts over wins btw. They are both bad stats, but at least wins technically is tied to performance in a sense. If your team scores 12 runs and you hold them to 5, whats wrong with doing your job. Maybe you pitch more precisely if you are nursing a 1-0 lead. Good pitchers i feel know how to win. Sure, King Felix and others get shafted but fantasy baseball is not perfect and its still a stat people look at more than antyhing but ERA.

QS meanwhile suffers the same problem except on top of that, no one cares about the stat. Here's why it sucks. You can get a QS for 6 IP, 3 ER, 5 BB, 8 H by getting some lucky double plays or baserunning mistakes. And you can fail to get a QS for a 9 IP, 4 ER, 0 BB, 7 H, 10 K near gem of a game that is a vital help to your bullpen. How unfair is that... all else equal start two has a better ERA!!
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:50 pm

I like adding holds to make use of non closing relievers OR QS to replace wins
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby ABA316 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:11 pm

This is being bandied about in my dynasty league. One good argument against is that it devalues relievers..not as big of a deal in a scratch or keeper I guess.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby oscar15 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:03 pm

converge241 wrote:I like adding holds to make use of non closing relievers OR QS to replace wins

Our league is expanding and we are thinking of ways to make more pitchers "draft worthy". Holds are being discussed as a possible added category BUT we do not want to make middle relievers too valuable. Wins and Saves are currently worth 7pts (QS adds 3pts). Any idea on point value for Holds?

H2H Points League
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Commissioner's Corner