H2H Leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

H2H Leagues

H2H Leagues

Postby sfjb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Never been in a H2H league and just got into one this year. I'm pretty solid with the batter strategy, but I'd love to hear from those with more experience what pitching strategies they've had success with. Our league scores ERA, WHIP, K, W, SV. We play with 6 SP slots and 3 RP slots.

Thanks in advance for the help.
sfjb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Leagues

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 pm

You can potentially be pickier with your SP as a week progresses based on how your matchup looks with respect to the pitching categories. I'd make sure your entire bench is filled with SP so you can have as many choices possible in a given week. A nice possibility of snagging a high-K elite ratio reliever with SP eligibility can also give you a nice edge in H2H.

I know you said you had batting down, but just to add my $0.02, for me SB takes a huge hit and I throw my eggs into the power wagon and try and snag HR/R/RBI each week and hope my AVG shakes out nicely. SB come in strange spurts and a team loaded with speedsters can lose SB in a week cause Lance Berkman swipes 2 bags in a game and your guys only grab 1 that week after stealing 8 the week before. Its infuriating.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Merlin401 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:21 am

bigh0rt wrote:You can potentially be pickier with your SP as a week progresses based on how your matchup looks with respect to the pitching categories. I'd make sure your entire bench is filled with SP so you can have as many choices possible in a given week. A nice possibility of snagging a high-K elite ratio reliever with SP eligibility can also give you a nice edge in H2H.

I know you said you had batting down, but just to add my $0.02, for me SB takes a huge hit and I throw my eggs into the power wagon and try and snag HR/R/RBI each week and hope my AVG shakes out nicely. SB come in strange spurts and a team loaded with speedsters can lose SB in a week cause Lance Berkman swipes 2 bags in a game and your guys only grab 1 that week after stealing 8 the week before. Its infuriating.

Agree with all this. I like to grab a bunch of 25-15 guys (think Pence) so that I'm never really expecting steals, but I get them enough to win a decent # of weeks. Just gives peace of mind. Instead of going crazy wondering how a team with Reyes-Crisp-Crawford could lose steals, when you lose its kinda "eh, figures".

For pitching, its allllll about strategy. On Monday look at your starts, your opponents starts. Maybe it makes sense to starts JUST lincecum vs. the Padres that week. Maybe it makes sense to add some guys. Maybe it makes sense to start your somewhat risky start on Monday to try to get him to think your going for K's and make him chance starting Ubaldo on Tuesday. Its all about trying to maximize your good starts and also the poor starts you can force your opponent into making. Sooooooooo much more interesting than roto. Each week is a different strategic battle.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sfjb » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:43 am

Merlin401 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:You can potentially be pickier with your SP as a week progresses based on how your matchup looks with respect to the pitching categories. I'd make sure your entire bench is filled with SP so you can have as many choices possible in a given week. A nice possibility of snagging a high-K elite ratio reliever with SP eligibility can also give you a nice edge in H2H.

Agree with all this. I like to grab a bunch of 25-15 guys (think Pence) so that I'm never really expecting steals, but I get them enough to win a decent # of weeks. Just gives peace of mind. Instead of going crazy wondering how a team with Reyes-Crisp-Crawford could lose steals, when you lose its kinda "eh, figures".

For pitching, its allllll about strategy. On Monday look at your starts, your opponents starts. Maybe it makes sense to starts JUST lincecum vs. the Padres that week. Maybe it makes sense to add some guys. Maybe it makes sense to start your somewhat risky start on Monday to try to get him to think your going for K's and make him chance starting Ubaldo on Tuesday. Its all about trying to maximize your good starts and also the poor starts you can force your opponent into making. Sooooooooo much more interesting than roto. Each week is a different strategic battle.

Knowing you can start just Lincecum on Monday and probably be forfeiting the W, SV, K catagories, would you then draft or have a pen of closers and setup guys? What would be you draft strategy?
sfjb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Merlin401 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:48 pm

sfjb wrote:Knowing you can start just Lincecum on Monday and probably be forfeiting the W, SV, K catagories, would you then draft or have a pen of closers and setup guys? What would be you draft strategy?

Well thats not a common thing to do so you can't plan for it. But if you have 6 starts on the week to your opponent's 12, then maybe it becomes a good strategy. But also Lince doesn't always start on Monday. If your opponent sees you're going to try to pull this strategy with a Lince start on Saturday, maybe he only starts Verlander on Monday knowing he has way more starts than you on Sunday if Lince does better and you get royally screwed if Lince does worse.

Obviously I'm giving you no "answers". If there were any, you wouldn't play the game. But these are some of the scenarios you have to think about, and not just the night before.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby oscarsf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:15 pm

We can only change our H2H roster on Sundays, which creates its own strategic issues. You have to review your opponent's roster the day before the series starts and anticipate what they will do. We are required to start five SP, three RP, and three P. Our scoring categories are Quality Starts, Strikeouts, WHIP, ERA, Saves, Holds. The normal strategy is to start five starters and six relievers to keep the WHIP and ERA down but owners will sneak in additional starters to try and corner the Strikeout and Quality Start categories.
oscarsf
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Return to Beginner's Forum