Crawford wrist surgery - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Crawford wrist surgery

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Crawford wrist surgery

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:25 pm

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/i ... left-wrist

BOSTON -- Hopes that Carl Crawford's experience with the Boston Red Sox would take an immediate turn for the better after a disappointing first season were dashed with the announcement by Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington on Tuesday that the left fielder underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left wrist.

Cherington did not rule out that Crawford would be ready by the regular-season opener but acknowledged that might not happen.

More On The Red Sox

Gordon Edes and the rest of the ESPNBoston.com team have the Red Sox covered for you. Blog

The decision to have surgery, Cherington said, was made after Crawford reported soreness in his wrist when he began ramping up his offseason hitting routine around the first of the year. The surgery, performed in Scottsdale, Ariz., by Dr. Donald Sheridan on Tuesday after Crawford underwent an MRI, involved a debridement of the wrist, which is defined as the removal of damaged tissue from the impacted area. It is generally performed in cases where a patient shows signs of early arthritis.

Crawford has experienced soreness in the wrist in the past, according to Cherington, including at the end of the 2011 season, though the decision was made at the time that he go through his usual offseason routine. That changed, Cherington said, when Crawford reported continued soreness.

Crawford first experienced wrist problems in the big leagues as far back as 2005, but he had not missed any time because of the wrist since 2007, when he was in training camp with the Tampa Bay Rays.

This was only the second surgery of his major league career. In 2008, he had surgery to repair the tendon in the middle finger of his right hand.

Cherington said that Crawford is expected to resume baseball activity in spring training, but said the team would not place a timetable on his return, other than to say they expect him back "early in the season."

Crawford struggled in his first season in Boston after signing a seven-year, $142 million contract last offseason. He hit a career-low .255 with 11 homers, 56 RBIs and just 18 stolen bases.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Crawford wrist surgery

Postby silverZ » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:34 pm

:-o Wrist injuries are scary. Although this may knock down his ADP enough where I'll actually take a shot at him. :-? Wait and see.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby thedude » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Damn, looks like this Red Sox team is going to have a lot of payroll tied up on the DL this season.Thanks Theo.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez are just sitting out there waiting for an offer. Probably wouldn't cost much either.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:12 pm

wrveres wrote:Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez are just sitting out there waiting for an offer. Probably wouldn't cost much either.

Manny in left field again ... that would be unbelievable! He'll have to come out that little door again in the Green Monster to make the return complete.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby thedude » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:14 pm

wrveres wrote:Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez are just sitting out there waiting for an offer. Probably wouldn't cost much either.

Manny has a 50 game suspension waiting, so he is useless to the Red Sox (even if they would be willing to take him back).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:19 am

Ugh...He was looking to be on every one of my teams this year as a 3rd-4th rounder...maybe now he'll still be on every one of my teams but as a 5th-6th rounder instead...we'll see how he heals first.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Fenway Punk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:16 am

Ugh. Get well/right soon please.
Fenway Punk
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers