2012's Least Relevant Fantasy MLB Team?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012's Least Relevant Fantasy MLB Team??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2012's Least Relevant Fantasy MLB Team??

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:11 pm

So, which MLB team will be least relevant in the fantasy baseball spectrum this season and why?? Assume 5x5 I suppose.

Is it the Mets?? I hope it isn't the Mets :-o. The Padres, A's, Pirates all immediately come to mind but I haven't really given it more thought than the 30 seconds its taken me to type this and as a Mets fan my mind is stuck on ineptitude right now...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012's Least Relevant Fantasy MLB Team??

Postby silverZ » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:38 pm

The Padres and A's have a lot of interesting pitching options, and Pitt has the Dread Pirate, and the Mets have Wright. I'm going to say Houston will be far and away the most useless team fantasy wise. I can't name one player on their team I would draft.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:00 pm

I was very intrigued by this question.

When I saw the topic, these were my first hunches without looking at the rosters: Orioles, Twins, Mariners, A's, Mets, Cubs, Astros, Pirates, Padres.

In order of how "fantasy relevant" I think they'll be after doing research:

Baltimore has no one of value from a pitching perspective, but Weiters, Roberts, Reynolds, Markakis, Jones, Hardy, and possibly Chris Davis are all draftable in 12 team leagues.

Seattle won't have much to write home about besides Felix and a declining Ichiro, but they have a ton of prospects that people will be following/drafting, so I'd say they are "relevant".

The Mets still have stars: Wright, Santana, Bay, Ike Davis and Duda looked very good in limited time, so I would imagine they'll be high on lists. Niese is another one that will be draftable in most leagues.

Houston is kind of in the same position as Seattle (minus Felix and Ichiro), but their prospects have played a little more. Altuve, Martinez, Paredes, and Lowrie will all be popular sleepers, though really only Altuve, Martinez, and Lowrie in redraft leagues. Juan Abreu could be a solid closer, and Wandy, Norris, and Lyles will all get attention.

The Twins have Mauer as a star, Morneau and Liriano as uncertain lottery tickets. Then not much. Doumit will be a popular sleeper. Willingham, Revere, and Span are likely bench material in most leagues. It's really only three players people will care about.

The Cubs really don't have much, and if/when they move Garza, it will be even less. Castro isn't a great runner (22 of 31 last year), so I don't think there's much upside there, nor does he have much power or hit for great average. And he's the best fantasy player they have. Soto could have a good bounceback year, and Rizzo will be a favored sleeper in keeper leagues, but 1B is really deep and he very well may languish in AAA. Dempster may have some value, and Marmol is a top closer, but the Cubs are looking very thin. Most of the rest of their roster is just chumps.

San Diego doesn't have many names, but everyone knows that any starting pitcher in San Diego is valuable, so for just that reason, they'll be relevant. Stauffer, Volquez, and Luebke especially, and Huston Street as well as some of their other arms (Gregerson and Cashner could be ratios guys). Maybin is solid - though really probably only ranked as a top 25-30 OF going into the season, Quentin is always an option, and Nick Hundley had surprisingly solid numbers last year, so I could see him being an option for some teams. Headley, as bad as he is, is an option at a very thin position.

The Pirates have McCutchen as a star and Hanrahan is a top closer, and then not really anyone that will get drafted as a top 15 player at their position. Walker is better in real life since he doesn't steal or hit for power. Tabata and Presley may get some looks, but not much. James McDonald and maybe Bedard are the only pitchers that people will even notice

Oakland just looks dreadful. Really only Jemile Weeks is someone that may be drafted as a potential top 12 player at his position. I don't think most people will be expecting another 45 steal season from Crisp. I'm sure Peacock and Parker will get drafted as sleepers - but they won't get drafted as anything other than a teams #5 or #6 SP. Really only McCarthy is someone that may get drafted as a top 50 starter. If De Los Santos gets the closer job, he could get some focus, but right now Oakland looks like the team that nobody will be paying attention to. Reddick, Smith, Allen, Carter, Barton, Suzuki - there just isn't a lot of upside there.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Timgeorge2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:55 pm

Starlin Castro is a great prospect...he has speed, he hit .307 last year and has the potential to add pop as he matures. I think he's awesome!

The Houston Astros on the other hand...they really stink. I will not own any of their players this year.
Timgeorge2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:42 pm

Timgeorge2 wrote:Starlin Castro is a great prospect...he has speed, he hit .307 last year and has the potential to add pop as he matures.
after over 1200 big league at bats, his days as a prospect are long gone. His fantasy reality is that he bats .300 and scores Runs cause he hits high in the order, and you pray he steals 20 bases again and not 10, but as was mentioned, his success rate isn't great so he may not have the green light as much this season.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Timgeorge2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:50 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Timgeorge2 wrote:Starlin Castro is a great prospect...he has speed, he hit .307 last year and has the potential to add pop as he matures.
after over 1200 big league at bats, his days as a prospect are long gone. His fantasy reality is that he bats .300 and scores Runs cause he hits high in the order, and you pray he steals 20 bases again and not 10, but as was mentioned, his success rate isn't great so he may not have the green light as much this season.

So you just ignore the fact that he's 21 years old? The kid's body isn't finished developing. He's a great athlete. I think there's a lot of power potential in the bat and his base stealing success will get better as he learns to be a better basestealers.
Timgeorge2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Houston may be the worst, but every team has at least one or two worthwhile pieces on it.

Wandy Rodriguez was my #2 starter last year in a team that ran away in its league. While he wasn't my second best starter, he went out there every start and was solid. Probably more like your #3 now, but you could do alot worse.

Brett Myers is still in the rotation isn't he? He was somewhat useful to me late in the year last year.

If they find a closer that can do it for the whole season, then he's going to be very useful. We just don't know who that is yet.

The rest of the team is kind of useless unless youre in a very deep league. The shallowest league I play is 16 teams, so yeah. Every team must be considered.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:15 pm

Timgeorge2 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

So you just ignore the fact that he's 21 years old? The kid's body isn't finished developing. He's a great athlete. I think there's a lot of power potential in the bat and his base stealing success will get better as he learns to be a better basestealers.

Being a prospect or not doesn't have to do with his age. There are prospects years older than he. You hope that he develops a power stroke but he doesn't have a ton of gap power right now that usually matures into HR power.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 pm

The Astros win this by a landslide. The fact that the previous poster brought up Brett Myers as one of the valuable guys - while he went 7-14 with 6.6 K/9, a 4.46 ERA and 1.31 WHIP - says a lot. By default every single team has a closer, so the fact that they'll slap the title on somebody doesn't really mean anything.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby Timgeorge2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Timgeorge2 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:after over 1200 big league at bats, his days as a prospect are long gone. His fantasy reality is that he bats .300 and scores Runs cause he hits high in the order, and you pray he steals 20 bases again and not 10, but as was mentioned, his success rate isn't great so he may not have the green light as much this season.

Being a prospect or not doesn't have to do with his age. There are prospects years older than he. You hope that he develops a power stroke but he doesn't have a ton of gap power right now that usually matures into HR power.

I was using the term "prospect" loosely. I know what the actual requirements are to be a prospect and I agree that he's not one. That's beside the point.

My point is that he's good and he's got the chance to be excellent in the near future. He's a natural hitter that's super young. I expect his power to improve with maturity and I expect him to learn to run the bases better. He's not going to get faster, but he's certainly going to get more awareness on the basepaths.
Timgeorge2
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers