Looking to transition to auction - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Looking to transition to auction

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking to transition to auction

Postby reiser » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:39 am

Hey all!
My main league is considering moving to auction next year, but we have an odd league configuration.
It's a roto league, but the positions are set up more as a H2H league.
We start C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3 OF & DH-and five P, one of which must be RP (and likewise SP).

Can you do a $260 Salary Cap with this lineup?
Also-we are longtime sportsline users, and I have no idea how their live auction works. I have used ESPN for a couple of years, and liked its auction.
Thanks!
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking to transition to auction

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 am

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do a $260 auction with those roster spots. You'd just have to adjust your values of players accordingly.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby mkultra » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Yeah, you can pretty much make any combination of roster spots and dollar amounts "work" (within reason). HOWEVER- I'd give serious thought to balancing out your hitter:pitcher balance. The way you've got it now, you've got almost twice as many active hitters than pitchers. This is going to drive down the prices of pitching considerably, and "standard" auction values already favor $1 pitchers over $1 position players. If you're going to enforce any kind of in-season cap, trades are going to be very hard to make in that environment.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby bigmck » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:44 pm

reiser wrote:Hey all!
My main league is considering moving to auction next year, but we have an odd league configuration.
It's a roto league, but the positions are set up more as a H2H league.
We start C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3 OF & DH-and five P, one of which must be RP (and likewise SP).

Can you do a $260 Salary Cap with this lineup?
Also-we are longtime sportsline users, and I have no idea how their live auction works. I have used ESPN for a couple of years, and liked its auction.
Thanks!

The $260 is made for 14 hitters and 9 pitchers, a 23 man roster. This is how all of the magazines with dollar values has them valued. Just be aware that if you have less players the dollar values will be higher so any values in magazines will not match. Pujols is normally around $38. In your league he might be worth $60 if $260 is used. If you want to adjust the money, the formula would be $260/23 X 14 = $158. == One thing about ESPN, it is not good for Auctions. You can bid on your players at the beginning of the year, but one the season starts the amounts are gone. You would have to use a spreadsheet to keep track of them. Use a site that is setup for an Auction. I like CBS, but Fantrax is cheaper and has some nice features.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby hot4tx » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:27 pm

I have a similar question as the OP. How much difference would it make in player values if we have a 25-man roster instead of a 23-man roster (extra bench spots).

We're going to make a trial transition from draft to auction in my main league this year. Starting over with rosters (no keepers) and we have a traditional starting lineup. However, we've long used a 25-man roster. We prefer this because it creates more of a need for trades and leaves a little more room to bench struggling semi-star players that might otherwise be dropped. We'd like to keep the 25-man roster but are concerned that it might cause large differences in player value versus standard player values. Most of us will be auction newbs so we kinda want to keep it close to standard player values for this season. So depending on how much difference two extra bench spots makes on player values we'll either keep them or take them out.

TIA. WHIR. HAGD. DIAF. :D
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 208)

Postby hot4tx » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 am

Bump for any help on the OP or my question. TIA.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 208)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:53 pm

hot4tx wrote:I have a similar question as the OP. How much difference would it make in player values if we have a 25-man roster instead of a 23-man roster (extra bench spots).

We're going to make a trial transition from draft to auction in my main league this year. Starting over with rosters (no keepers) and we have a traditional starting lineup. However, we've long used a 25-man roster. We prefer this because it creates more of a need for trades and leaves a little more room to bench struggling semi-star players that might otherwise be dropped. We'd like to keep the 25-man roster but are concerned that it might cause large differences in player value versus standard player values. Most of us will be auction newbs so we kinda want to keep it close to standard player values for this season. So depending on how much difference two extra bench spots makes on player values we'll either keep them or take them out.

TIA. WHIR. HAGD. DIAF. :D

Well, it will certainly make *some* difference. Hard to quantify how much. The naive fix would be to say that normally you have $260 / 23 = $11.30 per player, so if you want to maintain your proportions you could raise your cap to 25 * $11.30 =~ $283. That isn't perfect, but is probably closer than leaving it at $260. Tuning it any finer than that will be more of an art than a science, most likely.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 93)

Return to Commissioner's Corner