Giantsfan14's Projections and Rankings (updated 2/10) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giantsfan14's Projections and Rankings (updated 2/10)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Giantsfan14's Projections, Rankings, and More!

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Looks like you put a lot of work into this, but more importantly, a lot of good work. I'll have a look at it when I get home, seems like it'll be pretty useful.

And for players that don't have 3 full seasons, you could use MLEs although you will probably only have basic stats and not batted ball data for minor leaguers. To account for incline and decline in numbers depending on age, you could incorporate an aging curve, but that's a lot of work as each stat kinda has its own curve. Overall it looks really good.

I did look at MLEs a bit to project the younger players. I also toyed around with aging curves, but I couldn't figure out exactly how I wanted to do it and it seemed like it would take a lot more time than it would have been worth. I might try some more work on that next year though.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:14 pm

wow, sounds like a ton of work. Tried to get on, but my company's access to Google docs is spotty.

I know Tom Tango has a projections competition every year to see who comes closest. I believe they accept projections from regular schmoes too.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:Whenever I start to think I know a lot / put a lot of time into fantasy baseball, I read something like this and it's a great reality check.

Nice work :)
GF is a smart dude, just don't ask him for suggestions on your choice of cinema :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Thanks Giantsfan, some of the rankings are interesting to see and are useful for comparisons. Given some of the projections, it makes me want to go out and pick up a few guys to take a chance on. Depending on who is a believer, Zimmerman as the 11th ranked third baseman might cause a stir.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:19 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:Thanks Giantsfan, some of the rankings are interesting to see and are useful for comparisons. Given some of the projections, it makes me want to go out and pick up a few guys to take a chance on. Depending on who is a believer, Zimmerman as the 11th ranked third baseman might cause a stir.

My Zimmerman projection is definitely on the conservative side and mainly due to injury concerns limiting the number of plate appearances I projected. If he stays healthy he'd easily outproduce my numbers.

I updated the spreadsheet as the list version which allows easy sorting of the projections or rankings, just click on the column header to sort by that category.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:35 pm

looks excellent
Looking forward to the pitching projections
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:32 pm

pretty fantastic, GF.. didn't know you had it in ya ;-7
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby ML610 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey -

Can you clarify where to tweak the fb%, hr/f etc. if we want to adjust those numbers?

I tried clicking into the outputs (such as hr's), and the cells that seem to feed into it don't appear correct, and are the same for each player. For example, Y67,68 and 70 are used for shortstops to feed into the HR output. It doesn't look correct, but I'm not familiar with the offset function, so I may be misinterpreting the formula you've used.

Thanks,
ML610
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:38 pm

ML610 wrote:Hey -

Can you clarify where to tweak the fb%, hr/f etc. if we want to adjust those numbers?

I tried clicking into the outputs (such as hr's), and the cells that seem to feed into it don't appear correct, and are the same for each player. For example, Y67,68 and 70 are used for shortstops to feed into the HR output. It doesn't look correct, but I'm not familiar with the offset function, so I may be misinterpreting the formula you've used.

Thanks,

the offset function was so i could do a fill of the projection cells, it starts with the first cell, in this case Y67, 68, 70 and then goes down 6 cells for each new player in my projection. it basically let me fill 1 space at a time in my projections will filling 6 spaces at a time with the fb%, hr/fb, etc. hopefully that makes sense.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby ML610 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:50 pm

Gotcha...so if i wanted to tweak fb%, hr/fb%, bb%, or k%, it should be done from the players weighted average column (y).

Thanks again. Good job on this.
ML610
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers