Running a LIVE in-person AUCTION draft... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Running a LIVE in-person AUCTION draft...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Running a LIVE in-person AUCTION draft...

Postby Doc19 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Hey Fellas,

Looking for ideas/insights on running a live, in-person auction draft. We are forming a league that will have its inaugural draft in March. Planning to use $260 budget per team, standard rosters C, C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, OFx5, UTIL, Px9. Some questions that I had...

1. Do you believe that any less than 12 teams (say 10) has to be AL or NL only to be competitive in auction format, or is mixed league OK for any team number?

2. Best way to keep auction format running efficiently and quickly? Just a good auctioneer?

3. One thought would be to have everyone bring a laptop / tablet, and then just have everyone log on to yahoo live for our draft and use their auction software, but does that defeat the purpose of having a live in-person draft if we are all just staring at our computers? Sure would cut down the time, though - I am sure.

4. Use a projector to show how much money each team has left and how many spots left to draft?

I figure depending on the amount of teams this type of redraft could take at least 4 hours, right?

Thanks for any insight from those who have participated in one...
Doc19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Running a LIVE in-person AUCTION draft...

Postby Element » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 am

1. Do you believe that any less than 12 teams (say 10) has to be AL or NL only to be competitive in auction format, or is mixed league OK for any team number?

We use basically the same format that you have here. We've had as many as 13 teams and as few as 10. It's deep enough if you have some casual owners. If you have a league full of diehards then you should have 12.

2. Best way to keep auction format running efficiently and quickly? Just a good auctioneer?

We give everyone a flag. Bidding goes clockwise around the room. If your flag is up you're in and if it's down you're out. Very simple. You cannot drop until it's your turn. It's very structured. No one shouting out of turn which is really important when the brews are flowing. There always needs to be one or two guys that track everything and constantly announce winners, values and reminders to put the flags back up!

3. One thought would be to have everyone bring a laptop / tablet, and then just have everyone log on to yahoo live for our draft and use their auction software, but does that defeat the purpose of having a live in-person draft if we are all just staring at our computers? Sure would cut down the time, though - I am sure.

Don't worry about the time. Make a day of it. It's supposed to be fun. What's better than spending a day with the guys and talking baseball? Laptops/tablets are a must. Everyone should track the draft in excel.

4. Use a projector to show how much money each team has left and how many spots left to draft?

We set up shop in my buddy's man cave. Every few rounds he shares his screen on his 92" projection screen. It's important to be able to double check your numbers.

I figure depending on the amount of teams this type of redraft could take at least 4 hours, right?

An online redraft will take about 4. If you do it live I would give yourself longer. I'd say about 6 hours. We have 12 teams, 23 player rosters and keep 7 players. We start at 9am and are usually finishing between 2:30-3:30. We take a 30-40 minute lunch break in the middle.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby Tennessee Jed » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:51 am

the most important thing about any live draft is have people kick in $10-15 to order a buttload of wings
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 am

You can easily spend 4-6 hours on the golf course depending on how many you have playing with you...what's wrong with spending 4-6 hours talking baseball, doing a draft/auction. ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby converge241 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:14 pm

1. No you can go with 10 teams mixed just maybe make the rosters larger and maybe hold a bench draft so not everyone can make an "all star team". Splitting starters into auction and bench ina draft also helps shave some time if you are worried about that.
2. We do the flag system in one league but have also done free format auction "going once, going twice" there are times in each where it can drag or go fast. Overall, the flag system tends to go quicker because you cant have slow rollers jumping in at the end and keeping it going.
3. Make one person in charge of carefully tracking the money, someone good with numbers and spreadhseets and can multitask his own team. Should not be the commish/auctioneer. Do a money check at intervals or breaks. Not all the time but here ad there. Strongly agree with everyone at least tracking even on a simple excel file but if they dont want to dont have to.
4. Kinda touched in 3 but yes cover positions as it starts winding down. Hooking laptop up to a TV if available would work. But audibly will work just as good. "Joe needs a C and RP, Joe has 10 dollars left with a max bid of 5 dollars" so on and so on

Other:

Take a nice break somewhere in the middle for food etc etc lets everyone stop and recharge and avoids people trying to eat and draft
10 teams or so you can expect it to be around 5 hours
this is an odd one but fun: if you do a split/auction draft make whoever finishes their team first get 1st pick in the reserve draft (serpentine) youd be amused at how motivated people will be to fill out their teams and speed things along
Auction format >>> Draft, IMHO more control fo your team reduces a little luck in team building, adds other levels of strategies
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:58 pm

The easiest way to run an auction is have everyone in a circle or at a table or something. Everyone has one of those plastic keg cups in front of them. You need no "auctioneer"

Pick numbers out of a hat to figure who nominates the first player. That person nominates a player. Say he says Albert Pujols $1. You go clockwise around. Every person either bids up that player, or the flip over their cup indicating they are out of the bidding.

You keep going around in a circle until their is one person left. The person that wins, then nominates the next player and you go until the end.

Another couple wrinkles I have found that help speed things along.

1. People can only bid on a player if they have a roster spot available in their active roster. Someone can't try to corner the market on catchers by getting the top three. If you only have one catcher spot, then that person can only draft one catcher, or possibly two if he wants to use that catcher in his DH spot. It also prevents someone from blocking someone else from getting a cheap player at the end of the auction. If everyone forgets Jason Heyward in the auction, and I nominate him for $1 at the end and nobody else has any OF/DH slots available, nobody else can bid for him as a bench player just to block me
2. Once you go through the auction process above and everyone has a completed roster, then you just do a snake draft to fill in the bench. So if you have 23 active roster spots and a 6 man bench, after everyone has their active roster filled, you pick numbers out of a hat again and then that person starts the snake draft (and since you'll already have a bunch of players picked, it probably speeds things up to pick two players at a time.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Baseball Leftovers