Ryan Ludwick to CIN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Ludwick to CIN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ryan Ludwick to CIN

Postby Saltydog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:38 pm

How much does this cause his stock to rise?

That's a pretty good lineup he's plugging into.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 148)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ryan Ludwick to CIN

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:03 am

A move from San Diego to Cincy will boost anyone's value but he's been trending the wrong direction even before playing in San Diego. He was signed for 2.5mil I believe so that isn't enough to guarantee him full time AB's...unless he just plays well to warrant it. I'm guessing Chris Heisey and to a lesser extent Todd Frazier will share ABs with him. I'll be curious to see how it plays out though...

What say you, Cincy fan?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:40 am

here's what I put in the off season thread..

according to mlbtraderumors.com the Reds have signed Ryan Ludwick.
The Reds have agreed to sign free agent outfielder Ryan Ludwick to a one-year deal that includes a mutual option for 2013, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. Beverly Hills Sports Council represents Ludwick, who played for Cincinnati GM Walt Jocketty in St. Louis.

Ludwick, who can play left and right field, gives the Reds some much-needed outfield depth. Like left fielder Chris Heisey, Ludwick is a right-handed hitter. However, Ludwick has hit right-handers (.804 OPS) better than left-handers (.751 OPS) in his nine-year career.

Ludwick, 33, posted a .237/.310/.363 line with 13 homers for the Padres and Pirates in 2011. His batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage all dropped for the third consecutive season. However, UZR/150 suggests Ludwick has played average defense in the outfield corners in recent years.

when Ludwick was with San Diego last year I thought he could be someone who could explode offensively once he was traded away from PETCO because his away stats were so good. then he was traded to Pittsburgh, and sucked there too.
I would imagine going to that park in Cincinnati should be beneficial to him offensively.
could be someone to take a chance on as a deep sleeper late in a standard draft.

rotoworld
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds and Ryan Ludwick have agreed to a one-year contract with a mutual option for 2013.
Not a surprising landing spot considering Ludwick's history with current Reds general manager (and former Cardinals general manager) Walt Jocketty. Ludwick, 33, batted just .237/.310/.363 with 13 home runs, 75 RBI and a .674 OPS last season between the Padres and Pirates. He'll share playing time with Chris Heisey in left field.

"share" time with Heisey?

personally I think if he is the starter through the entire season he could be capable of some really good numbers.
I don't think he can repeat what he did for St.Louis in 2008 (.299/.375/.591/.966/ 37 HR/ 113 RBI/ 104 R), but a full season of AB he should be able to get into the 20's with HR and maybe close to 30? AVG wise maybe closer to what he did in 2007/2009 and closer to .265-.270 AVG.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 514)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:45 pm

I think you're spot on J35J. Going into spring training, it'll probably end up being a platoon situation in favor of Ludwick. Heisey gets his fair share but remains in the 4th OF role as he spells Stubbs on occasion. Hard to conceive a guy who has declined in like 3 consecutive seasons to suddenly rebound though and their is a real fear Dusty will stick with him too long even if he's floundering. Gomes 2.0?
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 159)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Baseball Leftovers