2012 2B Sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 2B Sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 2B Sleepers

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:26 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
Danny Espinosa was 6th among all second basemen in walks last year - including a whopping 3 less than Kelly Johnson and 20 less than Aaron Hill has had in the last two years COMBINED. So I don't really understand your comment about Espinosa not hitting or not being able to walk. Hill has had one season in the past 4 with an OPS over .700

Espinosa and Kelly Johnson had nearly identical seasons last year (KJ a little better BB rate, Espinosa little better K rate, same homers, same steals, and the only difference between their OPS & wOBA is because Espinosa's BABIP was 20 points higher than Kelly Johnson's.

So, considering they had nearly identical seasons, would you rather have the guy who is going to be 24 on opening day or the guy who is going to be 30?

Espinosa hit .236/.323/.414 last year. If Espinosa makes even small improvements in his walk and K rates and gets up to around .250/.335/.440 along with 20-25 homers and 20+ steals, that (by my initial projections) puts him as a top 10-12 2B in standard leagues, and a top 7 2B in OPS leagues.

I hear you. I just have a big problem investing in a 2nd baseman that has a 25K%. And one that also slumps half the time. I usually see bad teams in my league invest in near WW players like Espinosa.
I'll stomach a low average but not from my 2b/ss.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:55 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:
Danny Espinosa was 6th among all second basemen in walks last year - including a whopping 3 less than Kelly Johnson and 20 less than Aaron Hill has had in the last two years COMBINED. So I don't really understand your comment about Espinosa not hitting or not being able to walk. Hill has had one season in the past 4 with an OPS over .700

Espinosa and Kelly Johnson had nearly identical seasons last year (KJ a little better BB rate, Espinosa little better K rate, same homers, same steals, and the only difference between their OPS & wOBA is because Espinosa's BABIP was 20 points higher than Kelly Johnson's.

So, considering they had nearly identical seasons, would you rather have the guy who is going to be 24 on opening day or the guy who is going to be 30?

Espinosa hit .236/.323/.414 last year. If Espinosa makes even small improvements in his walk and K rates and gets up to around .250/.335/.440 along with 20-25 homers and 20+ steals, that (by my initial projections) puts him as a top 10-12 2B in standard leagues, and a top 7 2B in OPS leagues.

I hear you. I just have a big problem investing in a 2nd baseman that has a 25K%. And one that also slumps half the time. I usually see bad teams in my league invest in near WW players like Espinosa.
I'll stomach a low average but not from my 2b/ss.

I guess I don't understand why you mentioned Kelly Johnson, then.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby stevethumb » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:34 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Nice article. In a NL only or deep league I'm keeping an eye one Jose Altuve. He should hit 2nd for Houston provide some cheap steals.

agreed ;-D
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers