2012 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Final Update - 3/28/12 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Final Update - 3/28/12

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 Median Draft Position (MDP)

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:16 am

Since it came up in this post and I noticed it again in Giantfan's rankings, I think people are assigning Braun's value incorrectly here. You don't project him for 112 games and set his value at that number because you are going to get 50 games of production from someone else. It is a controlled set of games off. His value should be 112 games of his stats + 50 games of replacement level OF - Value you assign to a roster spot for 50 games(which is always less than a replacement level player who is in your lineup). He is being undervalued in almost every list I've seen put out there.

The value people are assigning him is the value he has in a league like the pond scum league where there is no bench so you have to just take 50 games of no production at all to own him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby badboy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 pm

I sent you a donation last night---Thanks agan Rookies & Cream--I appreicate all your hard work!! ;-D

badboy
badboy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Ender wrote:Since it came up in this post and I noticed it again in Giantfan's rankings, I think people are assigning Braun's value incorrectly here. You don't project him for 112 games and set his value at that number because you are going to get 50 games of production from someone else. It is a controlled set of games off. His value should be 112 games of his stats + 50 games of replacement level OF - Value you assign to a roster spot for 50 games(which is always less than a replacement level player who is in your lineup). He is being undervalued in almost every list I've seen put out there.

The value people are assigning him is the value he has in a league like the pond scum league where there is no bench so you have to just take 50 games of no production at all to own him.

ya i noticed that when i was scanning over my projections today and fixed it.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:53 am

The real trick of course is figuring out how much a roster spot is worth for 50 games, that is just going to have to be a gut instinct type of decision I guess. I know I hate drafting guys who lock up a roster spot because they don't play every day yet etc.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:26 am

there are a lot of factors that will determine Braun's value. One is how much bench you have. Another is the value of each bench spot (some leagues practically require every bench spot for SP'ers). Another is depth of the league. If you're forced to start Franklin Gutierrez during his suspension then it might hurt a little. I'll start considering Braun in the late 3rd I think if it's the right league.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:17 pm

Should be a donation coming your way in the near future - in the meantime, thanks for this RC ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:13 pm

updated ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Re: 2012 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Updated 2/4/12

Postby reiser » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:02 pm

who has Mock Auctions?
Mock Draft Central?
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Verminator » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:13 pm

J35J wrote:
Verminator wrote:Ryan Braun is a 2nd rounder when you KNOW which 50 games he is missing! Much more valuable than Nelson Cruz when you DON'T KNOW which 50 games he is missing. Ryan Braun + Replacement Player = Great Value... I will jump all over that.

Yup, this is very key. You hear a guy will only get 400-450AB and you're thinking...no thanks. But if you know exactly when those ABs will come then it negates a lot of that problem since you can have someone else in for the time being. With that said, I still probably won't own him.

I've rethought this a bit. As reliable as Braun has been, the possibility exists that he could get hurt and you would lose additional production out of him. I am thinking this would still not deter me from drafting him in the 2nd round because we would have projected him with a full compliment of ABs without significant time off due to injury based on when he is eligible to play, suspension or no suspension.
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Re: 2012 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Updated 2/4/12

Postby jk.hay30 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Am I mistaken or Is there usually an option to break this down into Tiers?
jk.hay30
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers