Yankees sign Kuroda - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees sign Kuroda

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yankees sign Kuroda

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:31 am

Kuroda has bust all over him, dude is 37 and has pitched 400 innings these last 2 years. It's still a good signing on a one year deal but I think i'd rather have Oswalt. Hopefully the Red Sox will sign him to a similar deal.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:22 am

yeah I'm not so sure why everyone thinks he'll do so well, but it's still a good low risk move for the Yankees. Pitching against the NL West in Dodger Stadium is a world away from pitching against the AL East in Yankee Stadium.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 am

MasterX1918 wrote:Kuroda has bust all over him

It's still a good signing

So do you like the move or not? :-?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby toledomudhens » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:26 am

MasterX1918 wrote:Kuroda has bust all over him, dude is 37 and has pitched 400 innings these last 2 years. It's still a good signing on a one year deal but I think i'd rather have Oswalt. Hopefully the Red Sox will sign him to a similar deal.

so instead of a guy that has had a 3.45 era and a 1.19 whip the last 4 years you would rather have the back problem none as oswalt????....I hope the sox pick him up as well, he can share a DL spot with lackey...lol......
And im not sold on the al east being that hard to pitch against....just off the top of my head i think there were(not yankees) 4 pitchers in the east with era's below 3....several in the east that hit 200 k's, and several that had 15 wins or more.....i'm not in any way saying kuroda is the next hallady, but for that price, and amount of years that deal screams steal...i am fully counting on 15 wins, an era just above 4 and 200 innings.....then next year the yanks nail down one of hammels or cain, hey why not both....lol
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 201)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:43 am

The division also happens to have some of the very best pitchers in the AL as well. Don't be fooled, if you could pick one division to not have to pitch against its unanimously the AL East. Anybody claiming otherwise is fooling themselves.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:48 am

so instead of a guy that has had a 3.45 era and a 1.19 whip the last 4 years you would rather have the back problem none as oswalt????

Oswalt has been a slightly better pitcher over the last 4 years while pitching in a tougher division. And while Oswalt had a back problem in 2011, Kuroda missed even more time a few years ago. According to reports, Oswalt is ready to go for the start of 2012.

And im not sold on the al east being that hard to pitch against....

Then go look up the team hitting stats by division and see if you come to the same conclusion after viewing those. The AL East is the best hitting division in baseball by a good margin.

just off the top of my head i think there were(not yankees) 4 pitchers in the east with era's below 3....several in the east that hit 200 k's, and several that had 15 wins or more.....

Your logic here doesn't make sense. So since the AL East had 4 good pitchers last season that means the AL East doesn't have good hitting? :-?

By this logic, the AL and NL Central have the best hitting because there were few good pitchers in those divisions (comparatively speaking). Have you ever thought that maybe those pitchers success has something to do with the talent of said pitchers? And not the hitting?
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:Kuroda has bust all over him

It's still a good signing

So do you like the move or not? :-?

I think he'll have a rough year but for 1 year at $10 million it's worth the shot. Freddy Colon did really well for them last year when I thought they would both fizzle.
toledomudhens wrote:i am fully counting on 15 wins, an era just above 4 and 200 innings.....then next year the yanks nail down one of hammels or cain, hey why not both....lol

I don't think that's entirely inconceivable, but it's staying healthy i'm more worried about. And you can have Jason Hammels, no debate here.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:40 pm

All 5 AL East teams finished in the top half of MLB in hr, runs, and slg. there is no harder division to pitch in.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby toledomudhens » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:47 pm

I guess i am just saying that pitching has come along way, regardless of where you pitch or what division your in.....I didn't proclaim him halladay, but i don't see him as a bust as well......lackey, now thats a bust.......hamels and cain.....lol, i will pass on hammels...lol ;-D
and any division that has baltiore in it will definitly inflate hitting stats....just sayin... :-)
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 201)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Kuroda is a pitcher who hasn't had much success in W/L over his 4 years in the majors.
2008. 9-10
2009. 8-7
2010. 11-13
2011- 13-16
41-46 over 4 years.
reason not to judge a pitcher by W/L record.
2008- 3.73 ERA/ 1.22 WHIP
2009- 3.76 ERA/ 1.14 WHIP
2010- 3.39 ERA/ 1.16 WHIP
2011- 3.07 ERA/ 1.21 WHIP
career- 3.45 ERA/ 1.19 WHIP

I think his numbers are going to reverse. I would imagine his ERA/WHIP wont be as good, but his W/L will be better.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers