Mariners & Yankees . Michael Pineda for Jesus Montero - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariners & Yankees . Michael Pineda for Jesus Montero

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Re: Mariners & Yankees . Michael Pineda for Jesus Monter

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Mariners ended up sending Pineda to the Yankees for Montero, but there was talk of Pineda to the Blue Jays for Brett Lawrie.
mlbtraderumors
Blue Jays, Mariners Talked Pineda For Lawrie Swap
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 31 at 11:14am CST]

Alex Anthopoulos hinted last night that some young Blue Jays drew trade interest this offseason, and Jeff Blair of the Globe and Mail has the details on some talks that never materialized. The Blue Jays and Mariners discussed Michael Pineda, but the Blue Jays balked when the Mariners wanted Brett Lawrie in return for the right-hander, according to Blair's sources.

Instead, the Yankees obtained Pineda for Jesus Montero last month and the Blue Jays held onto Lawrie. The 22-year-old British Columbia native made his MLB debut in 2011, posting a .293/.373/.580 line in 171 plate appearances. Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik selected Lawrie in the first round of the 2008 draft when he was Milwaukee's scouting director. Meanwhile, Pineda posted a 3.74 ERA with 9.1 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9 in 171 innings as a rookie last year.

should the Jays have gone for that? or was keeping Lawrie the right move?

I'd rather have lawrie
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mariners & Yankees . Michael Pineda for Jesus Montero

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:44 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Mariners ended up sending Pineda to the Yankees for Montero, but there was talk of Pineda to the Blue Jays for Brett Lawrie.
mlbtraderumors
Blue Jays, Mariners Talked Pineda For Lawrie Swap
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 31 at 11:14am CST]

Alex Anthopoulos hinted last night that some young Blue Jays drew trade interest this offseason, and Jeff Blair of the Globe and Mail has the details on some talks that never materialized. The Blue Jays and Mariners discussed Michael Pineda, but the Blue Jays balked when the Mariners wanted Brett Lawrie in return for the right-hander, according to Blair's sources.

Instead, the Yankees obtained Pineda for Jesus Montero last month and the Blue Jays held onto Lawrie. The 22-year-old British Columbia native made his MLB debut in 2011, posting a .293/.373/.580 line in 171 plate appearances. Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik selected Lawrie in the first round of the 2008 draft when he was Milwaukee's scouting director. Meanwhile, Pineda posted a 3.74 ERA with 9.1 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9 in 171 innings as a rookie last year.

should the Jays have gone for that? or was keeping Lawrie the right move?

Just read about this on mlbtraderumors.com. I think they both had overall similar value (Montero/Lawrie) and Toronto definitely could have used Pineda to go with Romero/Morrow at the top of the rotation. The Yankees trade happened because they could afford to lose Montero to their lineup as opposed to Toronto, who couldnt afford losing Lawrie.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:19 pm

I will be interested in what people think of this a year or so from now. Montero is getting a lot of heat and he hasn't even played yet. I like Lawery but I think Montero can be better but only time will tell.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:26 pm

MaudDib wrote:I will be interested in what people think of this a year or so from now. Montero is getting a lot of heat and he hasn't even played yet. I like Lawery but I think Montero can be better but only time will tell.
It's not as simple as a straight forward fantasy trade the way a lot of people may try and make it out to be. As was mentioned previously, the Yankees losing Montero is a lot less detrimental to their offense than the potential loss of Lawrie to Toronto's offense.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:14 pm

There were real concerns about Lawrie's plate discipline and his ability to stick at a defensive position outside of 1B before last year as well. His stock went way up between the start of 2011 and right now.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers