Mariners & Yankees . Michael Pineda for Jesus Montero - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariners & Yankees . Michael Pineda for Jesus Montero

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mariners & Yankees . Michael Pineda for Jesus Montero

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:19 pm

when was the last time the Yankees had a young pitcher who had a 1st season like Pineda had? (even though the stats were with Seattle).
I might not be remembering right or can't remember anyone specifically, but it seems like in the past the Yankees signed free agent pitchers who already had multiple years experience or traded for pitchers who had multiple years experience. have they had any high profile prospect come up and be successful?
I think the most recent young high profile type pitchers to come up with the Yankees have been Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes. not much success as starters.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:18 am

SpecialFNK wrote:when was the last time the Yankees had a young pitcher who had a 1st season like Pineda had? (even though the stats were with Seattle).
I might not be remembering right or can't remember anyone specifically, but it seems like in the past the Yankees signed free agent pitchers who already had multiple years experience or traded for pitchers who had multiple years experience. have they had any high profile prospect come up and be successful?
I think the most recent young high profile type pitchers to come up with the Yankees have been Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes. not much success as starters.

Ian Kennedy's pitching pretty well in Arizona and Ivan Nova had a pretty productive first year.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:34 am

I'm thinking more just what pitchers have done while with the Yankees. Kennedy had success in the minors. in 2007 he was successful in 19 innings, but in 2008 with the Yankees he was terrible.
Nova was successful last season, but I don't think he was someone who was a top prospect coming up through the minors.
interesting article here, written January 4th.
http://www.yankeeanalysts.com/2012/01/t ... ects-37293
one quote..
it’s worth noting how little success the organization has had developing starting pitchers during Brian Cashman’s tenure as general manager. In fact, since Cashman took over before the 1998 season, his system has succeeded in developing exactly one front of the rotation starter.

I have no idea how that compares to all the other teams.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 am

Then again all organizations have trouble producing front end starters, I realize expectations for the Yankees farm system are high but I don't think Cashmans failure to develop pitching is any sort of issue unique to just the Yankees. Theyre just scrutinized more than other clubs like the pirates who have barely even produced a middle of the rotation started since 98 :*)
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:Then again all organizations have trouble producing front end starters

The Giants are offended by this comment... :-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Element » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:Then again all organizations have trouble producing front end starters

The rest of the league is offended by Barry Zito's contract.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Element wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:

The rest of the league is offended by Barry Zito's contract.

Haha, that's what they get for going after Billy's scraps...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby thedude » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:14 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
bayside wrote:over/under 12 months before Pineda signs an extension?

What is the exact status of him currently?? The way they were talking on the radio the day after the trade it sounded like he was cost controlled for the next 5-6 years already. Again, its NY Sports Talk radio so its not the pinnacle in valid information.

He has 1 year of service time. He hits arbitration in after 2013. Free agency after 2016. If they extend him, it will be to buy out a year or two of free agency.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bayside » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:21 pm

thedude wrote: If they extend him, it will be to buy out a year or two of free agency.

ya that, and to control arb costs.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 pm

Mariners ended up sending Pineda to the Yankees for Montero, but there was talk of Pineda to the Blue Jays for Brett Lawrie.
mlbtraderumors
Blue Jays, Mariners Talked Pineda For Lawrie Swap
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 31 at 11:14am CST]

Alex Anthopoulos hinted last night that some young Blue Jays drew trade interest this offseason, and Jeff Blair of the Globe and Mail has the details on some talks that never materialized. The Blue Jays and Mariners discussed Michael Pineda, but the Blue Jays balked when the Mariners wanted Brett Lawrie in return for the right-hander, according to Blair's sources.

Instead, the Yankees obtained Pineda for Jesus Montero last month and the Blue Jays held onto Lawrie. The 22-year-old British Columbia native made his MLB debut in 2011, posting a .293/.373/.580 line in 171 plate appearances. Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik selected Lawrie in the first round of the 2008 draft when he was Milwaukee's scouting director. Meanwhile, Pineda posted a 3.74 ERA with 9.1 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9 in 171 innings as a rookie last year.

should the Jays have gone for that? or was keeping Lawrie the right move?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers