Patience & Plan B on the Hot Stove - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Patience & Plan B on the Hot Stove

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Patience & Plan B on the Hot Stove

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:02 pm

My bromance with Jonah Keri continues...
The Cincinnati Reds provide the blueprint for how to build a contender by playing the free agent waiting game

November 14, 2011: Philadelphia Phillies sign Jonathan Papelbon to four-year, $50 million contract
January 10, 2012: Cincinnati Reds agree to terms with Ryan Madson on one-year, $8.5 million contract

Here's what we knew about the pitching market heading into this offseason: There were exactly zero elite free-agent starting pitchers available, and roughly 83,000 closers. Any time there's little separation in talent between different players, a team can make one of two logical moves: Go to Plan B, or wait patiently for a great deal to fall into your lap.

The Reds have now done both. In so doing, they've established themselves as legitimate playoff contenders, and fired the first shot in the new year's bargain-hunting season.

Last season's Reds faced the same problem that many Cincinnati teams of recent vintage have endured — they scored a lot of runs, but also gave up too many. Cincy ranked 12th in the National League in 2011 with a 4.16 ERA. You couldn't pin those woes on bad defense either; only the Diamondbacks caught the ball better as a team than the Reds did last season, and Cincinnati's 4.37 FIP ranked dead last in the NL... Continue...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Patience & Plan B on the Hot Stove

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Great article. I agree that the Reds have had an amazing off season thus far. The Latos deal was incredibly good for them (as long as Baker doesn't burn him out). And waiting on Madson (which I was hoping the Red Sox would do) was an incredibly good move as well (for both the Reds and Madson). And I forgot about Marshall for a minute there. Another good trade.

Kudos for name dropping Jamie Moyer ;-D And as for Moyer, I thought he wanted to come back and pitch this year? Anyone heard anything about that?
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Patience & Plan B on the Hot Stove

Postby chinch sacs » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:43 am

And if the Reds arent in the thick of it in July, flip Maddy and Mashall and add to the farm the dipped into to get Latos.
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers