Multi-Position Eligibility, pros and cons???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Multi-Position Eligibility, pros and cons????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Multi-Position Eligibility, pros and cons????

Postby Soxcess » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:27 am

I'm a first time fantasy baseball player and I have a question, is it beneficial to have a player like Desi Relaford on your team which would give you eligibility at 2B, 3B, SS, and OF, but not really put up impressive numbers, or a guy like a Raul Mondesi, who'll hit about 25 HR's, and put up decent power numbers with a few steals, which would be more beneficial to have on my bench???? Any comments would be helpful
Soxcess

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Soxcess » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:41 am

where's the love guys, help a newbie out
Soxcess

Postby Big Blue » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:44 am

depending on league size and bench spots available. I like to use pitchers in my h2h league. in other leagues on Yahoo I use potential guys like kearns, bradley etc. as far as Relaford on mondesi I would go mondesi
Big Blue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jonnyblack » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:52 am

I like to have at least one multi position player on my roster. This year, M. Cabrera qualifies at third and LF. This gives a roster more flexibility. A guy like Relaford or, even better, Polanco, would be good to have as a backup, as you can plug them in for minor injuries or cold spells from your regulars. Sometimes you can catch these guys in a hot streak.

I, yyself, am a big fan of fantasy roster flexibility. I like to have options as the season runs on. For instance, in one of my leagues, i have a ver flexible infield.

Cabrera (3b, lf)
Polanco (2b,3b)
Reyes (SS, 2B)
O. Cabrera (SS)
Mora (3B, OF)

As you can see, i can move guys in and out of the line-up and change their positions according to the question marks in the lineup. You have to figure one of the three 3b's mora, polanco, or cabrera will have a good year. Same with one of the 2b's, Polanco or Reyes. If O. Cabrera starts falt, I might have to play reyes at short and stick with polanco at second (not desirable). My original plan for a starting line up is.

2b Reyes
ss O. Cabrera
3b M. Cabrera
Bench, mora and polanco.

As you can see, i have a lot of flexibility here.

As for Relaford over mondesi, it depends on your teams depth. If you, like many fantasy teams, have an abundance of servicable OF's, I might go with a desi relaford or Mark Loretta, guys that will give you some flexibility and spurts of production. Mondesi will put up decent numbers, but his average will bring you down, way down, if you play him on a regular basis
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby Soxcess » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:53 am

here is my roster:

C- Jason Kendall
1B- Richie Sexson
2B- Alfonso Soriano
3B- Scott Rolen
SS- Edgar Renteria
OF- Carlos Beltran
OF- Aubrey Huff
OF- Carl Crawford
Util- Frank Thomas
Bench- Jeromy Burnitz
Bench- Mark Texeira

SP- Curt Schilling, Barry Zito, Kevin Millwood, Roy Oswalt, Kip Wells, Jose Contreras, Brandon Webb
RP- Mariano Rivera, Arthur Rhodes, Brad Lidge, Guillermo Mota

with players on the same team like Rolen/Renteria and Huff/Crawford, I'm going to be short guys on the days STL and TB are off
Soxcess

Postby Soxcess » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:59 am

one last question, in regards to the original question, would I be doing damage to my team by just not starting the maximum amount of guys, or can I get away with it
Soxcess

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:59 pm

You should always try to start the maximum number of players, so having a guy like Relaford is very important IMO. I picked up Relaoford off waivers last year, and up until his injury really started to affect his play, he was extremely valuable. He will get you some steals, score a few runs, limited pop, but otherwise a valuable player to have on the bench if someone goes down for a brief period, and also for off days, to fill your roster.

Someone in our league has him this year, so with limted cash avialable I'm looking to pick up Mark Derosa from the Braves, who is eligable at 2nd, SS, and 3rd.

Postby Brendo » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:03 pm

in larger leagues with 14+ owners, I agree that a guy like Relaford has more value....but in smaller leagues, players oin the Waiver wire will be just as valuable

to me, if the choice came down to Desi or Raul, I'd go raul
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:41 pm

soxcess, what do you have, 3 teams in your league, that team is freakin' stacked. Though as a suggestion, try to trade rolen for a big homerun hitter, because your team is steals heavy and it looks like it could use another bat, plus you can just put texiera in at third and grab 30 hrs

Postby jonnyblack » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:soxcess, what do you have, 3 teams in your league, that team is freakin' stacked. Though as a suggestion, try to trade rolen for a big homerun hitter, because your team is steals heavy and it looks like it could use another bat, plus you can just put texiera in at third and grab 30 hrs

I think you could get some real value for rolen, too. But I'm not sure you need to do anything to that team. If someone goes on the DL, then you might want to pick up a utility guy. I'm from the school of thought that it is important to waith until the season starts and let some of the guys show you what they have, before you get nervous and start pulling the trigger on roster moves. You have a solid team, last year i had rolen and renteria on the same team and it didn't affect my first place finish. I would sit tight. ;-D
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Return to Baseball Leftovers