ComBUSTible: Avoiding 2012 Land Mines - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ComBUSTible: Avoiding 2012 Land Mines

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ComBUSTible: Avoiding 2012 Land Mines

Postby WebHamster » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:35 am

Much figurative ink is spilled each year trying to find top fantasy sleepers, but there’s a facet of draft preparation much more integral to success: avoiding busts at the top of the draft and with your big-ticket auction buys. Think about it — even if you don’t draft the best sleepers heading into the season, [...]

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2012 ... stible.php
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 408)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ComBUSTible: Avoiding 2012 Land Mines

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Nice job.

Is no one even a little worried about Kemp? I have him in a keeper and I can't forget about 2010. Did he take a step forward last year or was he just lucky?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Nice job.

Is no one even a little worried about Kemp? I have him in a keeper and I can't forget about 2010. Did he take a step forward last year or was he just lucky?
I worry about anybody who has the major piece of their value being so high being tied into them stealing 40 bases. If he's slowed even a tiny bit, his value takes a sharp plummet. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, though.

- I'm not worried about Granderson at all.
- I'm a beWeaver. Two consecutive years of pitching at an excellent level, and while there may be regression, I actually feel like he's a guy I'm comfortable drafting at SP and having high expectations of.

Nice article. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Postby mkultra » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:14 pm

I'm amazed to see Longoria going in the first round. You're basically buying his September and upside while trying to forget his injury, batting average, and lack of speed. Could he put up First-Round numbers? Sure, but I think he's got a red flag as big as Ellsbury or Verlander.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:17 pm

I think some of the concern about Weaver is his velocity. Some people just don't think you can consistantly be that good and K that many throwing 90 mph.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I think some of the concern about Weaver is his velocity. Some people just don't think you can consistantly be that good and K that many throwing 90 mph.
The only real spike year in K/9 was 2010. He was back to being a 7 and change K/9 guy last year. He's a guy who has performed well below his xFIP 3 seasons running, which leads me to believe that the way he gets batters out just isn't being reflected appropriately in those metrics. If he continues to use the array of pitches in his arsenal and put them where he wants, he'll keep motoring. Even at a 7.5 K/9, I see him as a Top 10 SP unless he gets injured. Figure a 3.15 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and with the addition of Pujols to the lineup, 15 Wins all being on the relatively conservative side?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Postby daullaz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Nice job.

I wouldn't take Kemp No. 1, if that's what you're asking. I definitely trust Cabrera and Pujols more with the No. 1 overall pick.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Paws » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:11 am

I total agree about Ellsbury. Wouldn't supprise me to see home runs drop. Unfortunately I have him in a keeper league. :-o
Paws
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 am

Paws wrote:I total agree about Ellsbury. Wouldn't supprise me to see home runs drop. Unfortunately I have him in a keeper league. :-o

i wouldn't call that unfortunate, even if the home runs drop (which they will), he's still incredibly valuable and a early second round pick at worst.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:32 am

If I thought Ellsbury was going to hit like he did in 2011 then I would take him #1/2 with Kemp. Picking him at the end of the first rd is expecting regression.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers