Will Moore be a star this year for the Rays? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Moore be a star this year for the Rays?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Will Moore be a star this year for the Rays?

Postby J35J » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:57 am

Skin Blues wrote:We're still talking about Matt "One Career Start" Moore, right?

You can't project or think highly of someone after a short stint in the majors? Generally you shouldn't, and normally I don't, but if you don't think Moore is in a separate category than 98% of all other young guys coming up then I don't think you're paying attention. He can and should be given every expectation that Strasburg did when he came up, IMHO.

Skin Blues wrote:He's already anointed as a top end pitcher that will dominate anyone he's up against? Really?

He'll have his struggles from time to time but if he's what I think he is then I would start him against anyone until he's showing that he can't handle it.

Skin Blues wrote:It's silly to deny that being in a division with the two highest scoring offenses in baseball is a significant consideration.

Doesn't keep CC, Price and Shields out of top 10 pitcher considerations...Moore can definately be in that category...if not better.

Skin Blues wrote:As good as he is, Strasburg is much better and more proven. And faces much weaker competition.

Who's said otherwise? With that said I definately think Moore has a chance to pretty much be the left handed version of Strasburg...he's that good, in my mind anyway.

***With all that said, you still draft him cautiously. He is young and inexperienced but he's not someone you should feel ashamed of going out on a limb on, IMHO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:36 pm

bayside wrote:possible, but not necessarily true. for any series at least one pitcher misses that particular team.
and if hes as good as the hype you are still going to start him anyway for the strikeouts if nothing else.
he totally dominated both Texas and NYY last year.

With 36 games against the Sox and Yanks this year, I can almost guarantee you that Moore facing those two teams at least 6 times if he is healthy all year long. He will not see them every series, but anytime Maddon has the chance, I imagine he will line up Moore, Price, and Shields to face them as much as possible. Heck Price had 10 starts against those 2 teams last year, which was because Maddon would usually juggle the pitching rotation to allow Price and Shields to be pitching in that upcoming series.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:24 am

A rookie is a rookie is a rookie.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:04 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:A rookie is a rookie is a rookie.

Not all rookies are created equal.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Merlin401 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
bayside wrote:possible, but not necessarily true. for any series at least one pitcher misses that particular team.
and if hes as good as the hype you are still going to start him anyway for the strikeouts if nothing else.
he totally dominated both Texas and NYY last year.

With 36 games against the Sox and Yanks this year, I can almost guarantee you that Moore facing those two teams at least 6 times if he is healthy all year long. He will not see them every series, but anytime Maddon has the chance, I imagine he will line up Moore, Price, and Shields to face them as much as possible. Heck Price had 10 starts against those 2 teams last year, which was because Maddon would usually juggle the pitching rotation to allow Price and Shields to be pitching in that upcoming series.

Unfortunately this is likely since the best thing to do against Boston and New York is throw your lefties.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:48 am

Merlin401 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:With 36 games against the Sox and Yanks this year, I can almost guarantee you that Moore facing those two teams at least 6 times if he is healthy all year long. He will not see them every series, but anytime Maddon has the chance, I imagine he will line up Moore, Price, and Shields to face them as much as possible. Heck Price had 10 starts against those 2 teams last year, which was because Maddon would usually juggle the pitching rotation to allow Price and Shields to be pitching in that upcoming series.

Unfortunately this is likely since the best thing to do against Boston and New York is throw your lefties.

Could you explain that?
I thought the Yankees were better vs lefties.
Yankkees scored 0,173 runs/AB vs lefties and 0,150 runs/AB vs righties
,281 SLG. vs lefties and ,255 AVG vs righties
,467 SLG. vs lefties and ,435 SLG vs righties
etc...
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fenway Punk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:58 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:Yes, Matt Moore is really good and he should be in the rotation the entire year. The only thing possibly holding him back is that the Rays are wanting to hold him in the 200ish inning range this year and not let him hit 240-250.

8-o 8-o 8-o

Let's be real, if he hits 180 IP I will be shocked. Rookies always have innings limits, and there first full season seldom goes over 160.

So to put this is fantasy terms, they have to be some seriously elite innings to justify taking him before the 7th, IMHO.
Fenway Punk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Fenway Punk wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:Yes, Matt Moore is really good and he should be in the rotation the entire year. The only thing possibly holding him back is that the Rays are wanting to hold him in the 200ish inning range this year and not let him hit 240-250.

8-o 8-o 8-o

Let's be real, if he hits 180 IP I will be shocked. Rookies always have innings limits, and there first full season seldom goes over 160.

So to put this is fantasy terms, they have to be some seriously elite innings to justify taking him before the 7th, IMHO.

Would your opinion change if the rookie threw 165 innings last year plus 10 more in the playoffs? I would be shocked if he only threw 160 innings.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby silverZ » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Fenway Punk wrote:

8-o 8-o 8-o

Unless the Rays are out of playoff contention in August/September (which I doubt with that rotation) I fully expect him to get 200 IP. He had 175 IP last year after going from 120 to 140 in the two prior years. Another 25 inning jump should be expected for a guy that lives off his fastball, who has never have health issues, etc.

I love Moore, I have him on my dynasty team for the next 3 years cheap and I think he's going to be a complete stud starting this year. I hope he goes in to spring training told to only work on his change up so he puts up terrible numbers and kills the hype machine a little bit. I'll be taking him at least 1 full round in front of his ADP. If that means I have to take him in the 6th I'll probably do it. Realistically I think (hope) I'll be able to wait until the 8th.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby MrT » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:12 pm

By the end of the season people will be saying Strausberg is noi Matt Moore. Everyone in the know says he is the best young pitcher bar none. Hope he half as good since I will be keeping him
MrT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 39)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers