Will Moore be a star this year for the Rays? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Moore be a star this year for the Rays?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Moore be a star this year for the Rays?

Postby Gmunu » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:05 am

Will he even be in the starting rotation to begin the season? I know he has a lot of talent and a lot of people are very high on him but I remember a few seasons ago when David Price first came up the the Rays used him as a reliever rather than a starter to take some pressure off of him. What is everybody else hearing? I don't hear much up here in upper Michigan.
Gmunu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Will Moore be a star this year for the Rays?

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:22 am

they can't keep him out of the rotation, he's too good and much better than Davis and Niemann IMO. I still think Hellickson will have a better year if he can get that K rate up but we'll see, Moore is filthy.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:46 am

Moore is crazy good. He's ahead of David Price after his rookie cup of tea. All around better stuff with roughly equivalent command at the same stage of their career. He should be drafted right after all the elite guys and before the value guys(Beachy type)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 am

Yes, Matt Moore is really good and he should be in the rotation the entire year. The only thing possibly holding him back is that the Rays are wanting to hold him in the 200ish inning range this year and not let him hit 240-250.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:02 am

raiders_umpire wrote:Yes, Matt Moore is really good.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby converge241 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:10 am

Keep in mind they bought out some of his years in a pre-emptive extension as well so there's no need to hold him down for $$ concerns. The innings limit would be the only thing I would "worry" about
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:40 am

converge241 wrote:Keep in mind they bought out some of his years in a pre-emptive extension as well so there's no need to hold him down for $$ concerns. The innings limit would be the only thing I would "worry" about

Exactly. With that contract it pretty much guarantees that he will be in the starting lineup. Why would the Rays (who are always worried about money) agree to a contract only to keep them in the minors. If they wanted to do that, then they had no reason to offer the contract and just keep Moore in the minors until they were ready for him. By offering a contract, it says that they are wanting him to start for them now but they don't want to have to mess with super two status.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:44 am

Gmunu wrote:Will he even be in the starting rotation to begin the season? I know he has a lot of talent and a lot of people are very high on him but I remember a few seasons ago when David Price first came up the the Rays used him as a reliever rather than a starter to take some pressure off of him. What is everybody else hearing? I don't hear much up here in upper Michigan.

Also to note, when Price was called up it was the end of the season and they didn't need a starter but they wanted Price for the playoffs. Price has only started since then though they didn't call him up for a month or two in 2009. Moore had a similar thing at the end of last year where he started once but also came out of the bullpen a couple of times.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby converge241 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 am

One added thing, hes rocketing up the early mock and real drafts so if you want to be on board it will cost. Im guessing might even go up as season gets closer and if he continues to look good come S/T and all. Hes gone as high as 4th round and mostly 6th. Come your own draft days he may just be too expensive to take the chance on because no matter how good he looks and how high his ceiling is that could be a high investment making the risk very high on someone "unproven"

Meanwhile keeper/dynasty owners who may have already owned him (at cheaper costs) are probably doing backflips. If I owned him in that type of format itd be very tempting to shop him while the excitement is so high for a big return.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:30 am

MaudDib wrote:
Gmunu wrote:Will he even be in the starting rotation to begin the season? I know he has a lot of talent and a lot of people are very high on him but I remember a few seasons ago when David Price first came up the the Rays used him as a reliever rather than a starter to take some pressure off of him. What is everybody else hearing? I don't hear much up here in upper Michigan.

Also to note, when Price was called up it was the end of the season and they didn't need a starter but they wanted Price for the playoffs. Price has only started since then though they didn't call him up for a month or two in 2009. Moore had a similar thing at the end of last year where he started once but also came out of the bullpen a couple of times.

The rays did the same thing with Hellickson
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers