When are you taking these players?--Keeper League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

When are you taking these players?--Keeper League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When are you taking these players?--Keeper League

Postby segerfan83 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:25 am

I am in a 16 team keeper league and had a post last week about my keepers (viewtopic.php?t=437822). We keep 6 players each year and draft order is determined by previous years finish. Positions are C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, OF x 5, Util, SP x 2, RP x 2, P x 3, BN x 3. When would you target the following players? I don't think I can compete this year, but I feel that I can next year, so I am drafting accordingly. I get the first pick in the draft this year.

Jeremy Hellickson
Matt Moore
Dee Gordon
Brett Lawrie
Bryce Harper
Desmond Jennings
Mike Trout

Here are the draft rounds with # of players taken since the start of the draft (the first 6 rounds are the keeper rounds, so no real drafting occurs):

Round 1 1-16
2 12-32
3 33-48
4 49-64
5 65-80
6 81-96
7 97-112
8 113-128
9 129-144
10 145-160
11 161-176
12 177-192
13 193-208
14 209-224
15 225-240
16 241-256
17 257-272
18 273-288
19 289-304
20 305-320
21 321-336
22 337-352

Thank you for the advice and WHIR, just leave a link.
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 96
(Past Year: 15)
Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When are you taking these players?--Keeper League

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:41 am

Matt Moore
Brett Lawrie
Bryce Harper
Mike Trout
Desmond Jennings
Jeremy Hellickson
Dee Gordon

This is how i would rank them (Trout and Jennings are pretty close IMO so they could be swapped). A lot of when i would target these players depends on who else is available. I am a big fan of taking a chance on prospects but not in front of guys that have already proven it at the MLB level. You say you can't compete this year so I might look at Harper ahead of all these guys. I think he will be playing full-time next year and will be a top 10 player shortly after that. Assuming there is no restrictions on keepers, I could see myself taking Harper and Moore with my first two picks, as i believe both of those guys are going to be really, really good.

Saying that, it would help if we knew how else would be available as there are some pretty good players that might not be kept.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Image
MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 8016
(Past Year: 381)
Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When are you taking these players?--Keeper League

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 pm

MaudDib wrote:Matt Moore
Brett Lawrie
Bryce Harper
Mike Trout
Desmond Jennings
Jeremy Hellickson
Dee Gordon

This is how i would rank them (Trout and Jennings are pretty close IMO so they could be swapped). A lot of when i would target these players depends on who else is available. I am a big fan of taking a chance on prospects but not in front of guys that have already proven it at the MLB level. You say you can't compete this year so I might look at Harper ahead of all these guys. I think he will be playing full-time next year and will be a top 10 player shortly after that. Assuming there is no restrictions on keepers, I could see myself taking Harper and Moore with my first two picks, as i believe both of those guys are going to be really, really good.

Saying that, it would help if we knew how else would be available as there are some pretty good players that might not be kept.


This is pretty much spot on IMO. The only thing I would like to add is that Harper could move up to the #1 position over Moore if he starts the year with a full time gig and plays out to his potential. Right now, Moore and Harper are the best pitcher/hitter prospects in baseball. Moore has some experience, which certainly helps his case. But Harper could end up being just as valuable as a hitter.
Image
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1717
Joined: 2 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rome in all of its glory...

Re: When are you taking these players?--Keeper League

Postby segerfan83 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:57 pm

I definitely appreciate the advice. I realize that it's hard to give a particular round without knowing other players in the draft pool, but I was just trying to get a feel for when I would be reaching or waiting too long on a player. It's all speculation at this point, but that's the fun part of fantasy baseball really. I currently have Trout on my roster and was thinking of using him as a keeper, but I'm not sure. As was discussed in the other thread I posted, there is some debate about whether or not to do this. I figured he was a better prospect than Harper, but it sounds like Harper is by far the better prospect. Is this the case?
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 96
(Past Year: 15)
Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When are you taking these players?--Keeper League

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:03 pm

segerfan83 wrote:I definitely appreciate the advice. I realize that it's hard to give a particular round without knowing other players in the draft pool, but I was just trying to get a feel for when I would be reaching or waiting too long on a player. It's all speculation at this point, but that's the fun part of fantasy baseball really. I currently have Trout on my roster and was thinking of using him as a keeper, but I'm not sure. As was discussed in the other thread I posted, there is some debate about whether or not to do this. I figured he was a better prospect than Harper, but it sounds like Harper is by far the better prospect. Is this the case?


Trout certainly has the makings of an elite player, but everything I have read about Harper projects him in the Pujols/Miggy category. He has more upside IMO, but is still quite young and will most likely not get significant playing time this year.
Image
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1717
Joined: 2 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rome in all of its glory...

Re: When are you taking these players?--Keeper League

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:11 pm

If you can't compete this year, keeping Trout makes a lot of sense. Given what the Angels did this winter, Trout's playing time situation is going to be up in the air; he could end up spending a big chunk of the year in AAA. Or not. One of the 36 old, injury-risk Angels OF might go down in mid-April and Trout could take over full time. My point is that he'll be frustrating to own this year.

But if you're not worried about contending, he's a must-keep. Harper is probably the superior fantasy prospect by a hair, as his power potential is just off the charts. However the question with Harper is just how well-rounded a player he's going to be. Does he retain his speed with age? Does he hit .300? Trout, on the other hand, is a much more complete player. Grady Sizemore circa 2006-2008, plus 10-20% is what we're talking about in terms of ceiling, which should be enough to get your blood pumping.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 66)
Joined: 2 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When are you taking these players?--Keeper League

Postby segerfan83 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:If you can't compete this year, keeping Trout makes a lot of sense. Given what the Angels did this winter, Trout's playing time situation is going to be up in the air; he could end up spending a big chunk of the year in AAA. Or not. One of the 36 old, injury-risk Angels OF might go down in mid-April and Trout could take over full time. My point is that he'll be frustrating to own this year.

But if you're not worried about contending, he's a must-keep. Harper is probably the superior fantasy prospect by a hair, as his power potential is just off the charts. However the question with Harper is just how well-rounded a player he's going to be. Does he retain his speed with age? Does he hit .300? Trout, on the other hand, is a much more complete player. Grady Sizemore circa 2006-2008, plus 10-20% is what we're talking about in terms of ceiling, which should be enough to get your blood pumping.


Pick my 6 keepers if you don't mind:
Jason Heyward
Adrian Gonzalez
Dan Uggla
Shin Soo-Choo
Mike Trout
Mat Latos
Stephen Strasburg
Madison Bumgarner

Remember,I get the first pick in the draft as well.
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 96
(Past Year: 15)
Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tosabigdog and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact