Pick 8 Keepers in this Auction league... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Pick 8 Keepers in this Auction league...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pick 8 Keepers in this Auction league...

Postby Merlin401 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:13 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:5x5 Roto, 10 team, $300 budget, 10 bench slots, 13/9 (2C) lineups. 2012 salary and contract noted. Keep 8. Auction inflation is pretty high. Anyone not currently under contract can be given a 1-4 year contract at the 2012 price.

4 players (noted with an asterik) are locked in. Who should I pick for the other 4?

Arencibia, J.P.(C) TOR $8
Ruiz, Carlos(C) PHI $1
*Teixeira, Mark(1B) NYY $19 (1 year remaining on contract)
Prado, Martin(2B,3B,OF) ATL $3
*Longoria, Evan(3B) TB $6 (1 year remaining on contract)
Cabrera, Asdrubal(SS) CLE $6
*Tulowitzki, Troy(SS) COL $13 (2 years remaining on contract)
Berkman, Lance(1B,OF) STL $7
Bourn, Michael(OF) ATL $4 (if option picked up) or $6 (elig for long term contract)
Crawford, Carl(OF) BOS $4 -- lock that in for 4 years
Crisp, Coco(OF) OAK $3
Victorino, Shane(OF) PHI $13
Zimmerman, Ryan(3B) WAS $1-- lock that in for 4 years

Martin, Russell(C) NYY $6
Montero, Jesus(C) NYY $1
Posey, Buster(C) SF $3 -- lock that in for 4 years
Johnson, Kelly(2B) TOR $8
Freese, David(3B) STL $1
Choo, Shin-Soo(OF) CLE $1
Damon, Johnny(OF) TB $6

Fister, Doug(P) DET $6
*Halladay, Roy(P) PHI $26 (1 year remaining on contract)
Hudson, Tim(P) ATL $10 (if option picked up)
Humber, Philip(P) CHW $3
Jimenez, Ubaldo(P) CLE $1
Kuroda, Hiroki(P) LAD $8
Nova, Ivan(P) NYY $3
Rodriguez, Wandy(P) HOU $4
Sabathia, CC(P) NYY $21

Buehrle, Mark(P) MIA $2
Farnsworth, Kyle(P) TB $6
Guerra, Javy(P) LAD $1

Bolded the players that I would keep. I don't know if i understand how virtually everyone on your team seems to be incredibly awesome value? How did all these all stars emerge with single digit price tags? I can't even imagine inflation... are there like JJ Hardy going for $45 and such?

Here's mine: viewtopic.php?t=437970
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Crawford, Carl(OF) BOS $4
Zimmerman, Ryan(3B) WAS $1
Posey, Buster(C) SF $3
Choo, Shin-Soo(OF) CLE $1

If you can lock these guys up for these prices for 4 years, do it. I almost went with Montero along with Posey (instead of Choo) seeing as this a 2 C league.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:06 am

Just to clarify, the way this league works is after the auction, an owner can assign a certain number of contracts of 1-4 years duration to any player not currently under a multi-year deal\under contract before the auction\season starts. Players coming off contract can be kept at the going market rate, which is defined as the lower of what they earned last year in value or $5 more than what you paid for them at the auction the prior year. So if you buy a player for $1 you can lock him in for up to 4 years at $1 (assuming you have not already used all your contracts). Or you can just play him for the year and if he does well you can lock him in to a long term contract at $6 (1+5) the next year (which is what you see owners inclined to gamble do more typically..Hence Longo at $6). Of course, you run the risk of getting stuck with someone long term as well if you give them a 4 year deal and they go south on you or get hurt. Once a player comes off a multi-year contract, he goes forward at the market rate the next year.

As to how I got guys like this...I was first to pick up on Tulo on Longo and locked them both in (gambles that worked). Got Tex at a bargain price one year and locked that in. Got Halladay via trade from an owner who had done the same. Zimmerman, because he had a bad year in 2011, earned nothing value-wise in 2011. So his "market rate" of $1 reflects that. Hence I get the option to keep him at $1 and if I wanted to and possibly assign him a long term deal at that price (instead of Bourne). He just barely made the min games requirement to qualify under the rules to be eligible for a long term contract. Crawford played most of the year and earned $4 in 2011. Again, both are not your typical single digit value players as both missed some time and had really off years when they played.

I had an awesome team on paper last season and was destroyed by injuries and bad underperformers. This is sort of the "silver lining" if you will of that happening in that under the setup of the rules, I can now reduce my costs and lock in long term on some guys that should be a lot better than what we saw last season if I actually believe in them and have the desire to gamble on them. The risk of course of giving someone like Zimmerman a 4 year deal would be if he continues to be like he was last season\get hurt, in which case I would be stuck keeping him. In this league, you can really do well if you manage to find the stud that had a bad year and was not already under a long term deal and then lock him in. The market rate drops (as it would in reality) and there really is no way to apply a rule to adjust it fairly and evenly player to player (and you really shouldn't anyway). There is risk in all this and one man's stud with a bad year is another's stiff or has been. Teams have a limited number of long term contracts so you also can't go around giving everyone a deal even if you wanted to so you have to pick and choose who to gamble on. I have seen guys keep players that ended up complete stiffs and burn a keeper and dollars for an owner. The most notable one in our league was the guy that gave Derrick Turnbow a longterm 3 year deal at $6 after his 1 good season. I thought he was crazy for doing it then with a closer and he ended up paying the price for it.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:48 am

Merlin401 wrote:Bolded the players that I would keep. I don't know if i understand how virtually everyone on your team seems to be incredibly awesome value? How did all these all stars emerge with single digit price tags? I can't even imagine inflation... are there like JJ Hardy going for $45 and such?

Here's mine: viewtopic.php?t=437970

LOL...No. Inflation for the players that are elite is high though. Like I said, Sabathia will go for 30+ and likely 34 or so if cut loose. Pujols typically goes for 55+. A Victorino or Choo type usually in the 20-28 dollar range. It is not ludicrous, but it is high. We have a couple of owners that just refuse to risk a long term deal on anyone because they got burned by it previously and imo hurt themselves for it. Also affecting this is that we have a 10 deep bench. So at a min, $10 has to be spent there to fill that out and since the player pool is drawn down to 300 players, some owners will spend more money on bench strength then they probably should.

Like most auctions, the players called out early go for inflated prices, the ones that go towards the middle when people start to become very budget conscious tend to go at something of a discount, then you have another bidding frenzy towards the end on the few decent players left, then you have the cheap player pickups at the end when everyone is effectively at $1 or $2 bids angling to get their sleepers or favorite fillers. It is what it is and oddly enough I historically am usually one of the two or three high $ keeper owners. Meaning I go in with more money spent on my keepers than most traditionally as I have paid to keep the elite talent on a couple of players usually each year rather than risk the inflation. This year, I may go in as one of the least dollars spent mostly because I had such a bad year last year from a number of elite palyers.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions