Pick 8 Keepers in this Auction league... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Pick 8 Keepers in this Auction league...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pick 8 Keepers in this Auction league...

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:27 am

5x5 Roto, 10 team, $300 budget, 10 bench slots, 13/9 (2C) lineups. 2012 salary and contract noted. Keep 8. Auction inflation is pretty high. Anyone not currently under contract can be given a 1-4 year contract at the 2012 price.

4 players (noted with an asterik) are locked in. Who should I pick for the other 4?

Arencibia, J.P.(C) TOR $8
Ruiz, Carlos(C) PHI $1
*Teixeira, Mark(1B) NYY $19 (1 year remaining on contract)
Prado, Martin(2B,3B,OF) ATL $3
*Longoria, Evan(3B) TB $6 (1 year remaining on contract)
Cabrera, Asdrubal(SS) CLE $6
*Tulowitzki, Troy(SS) COL $13 (2 years remaining on contract)
Berkman, Lance(1B,OF) STL $7
Bourn, Michael(OF) ATL $4 (if option picked up) or $6 (elig for long term contract)
Crawford, Carl(OF) BOS $4
Crisp, Coco(OF) OAK $3
Victorino, Shane(OF) PHI $13
Zimmerman, Ryan(3B) WAS $1

Martin, Russell(C) NYY $6
Montero, Jesus(C) NYY $1
Posey, Buster(C) SF $3
Johnson, Kelly(2B) TOR $8
Freese, David(3B) STL $1
Choo, Shin-Soo(OF) CLE $1
Damon, Johnny(OF) TB $6

Fister, Doug(P) DET $6
*Halladay, Roy(P) PHI $26 (1 year remaining on contract)
Hudson, Tim(P) ATL $10 (if option picked up)
Humber, Philip(P) CHW $3
Jimenez, Ubaldo(P) CLE $1
Kuroda, Hiroki(P) LAD $8
Nova, Ivan(P) NYY $3
Rodriguez, Wandy(P) HOU $4
Sabathia, CC(P) NYY $21

Buehrle, Mark(P) MIA $2
Farnsworth, Kyle(P) TB $6
Guerra, Javy(P) LAD $1
Last edited by SecretAgentMan on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 653)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick 8 Keepers in this Auction league...

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:49 am

Posey, Buster(C) SF $3

These would be my keeper, but I'd not fault you for keeping Choo over one of the others. I seem to be higher on Choo than most, but I love him to bounce back this year.

BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 am

Crawford - $4 -- this is unbelievable for you
Jimenez - $1 -- so is this
Montero - $1 -- this is speculatory, but I love him at a buck, even more than Posey at $3
Zimmermann - $1 -- with how thin 3B is it's great to get a good one at this price
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:11 am

Jimenez? His velocity was down and there is no reason to think he does any better really (at least imo). Really never even considered him after he burned me so badly last season. His numbers were so bad he is not going to go for more than $7-10 at auction in all likelihood and if he does, more power to the guy that drops the wad on him imo. Let them assume the risk.

I am sworn off Posey after last season. Not going to keep him or any other C ever again but that is me. He certainly has value, but I have been trying to deal him and no one wants the guy (or is willing to pay for him), so really how much is a C coming of major injury going to cost at auction (8-12 dollars)? Maybe some fool wants to overpay for the guy, but I figure he can be bought back if I really wanted him and is not that huge of a bargain relative to want he is likely to\should sell for. Montero is an option as well and I have usually been a $1 or $2 guy for Cs anyway at auctions.

What about guys lke Bourn, Berkman, Choo and Sabathia? Buying Sabathia back likely costs $30+ with the auction infaltion by the way. Bourne at $4 for 2012 or $6 longterm seems like a pretty nice value.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 653)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:50 am

Bourn, Michael(OF) ATL $4 (if option picked up) or $6 (elig for long term contract)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1431)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 am

raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:20 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:Jimenez? His velocity was down and there is no reason to think he does any better really (at least imo). Really never even considered him after he burned me so badly last season. His numbers were so bad he is not going to go for more than $7-10 at auction in all likelihood and if he does, more power to the guy that drops the wad on him imo. Let them assume the risk.

I am sworn off Posey after last season. Not going to keep him or any other C ever again but that is me. He certainly has value, but I have been trying to deal him and no one wants the guy (or is willing to pay for him), so really how much is a C coming of major injury going to cost at auction (8-12 dollars)? Maybe some fool wants to overpay for the guy, but I figure he can be bought back if I really wanted him and is not that huge of a bargain relative to want he is likely to\should sell for. Montero is an option as well and I have usually been a $1 or $2 guy for Cs anyway at auctions.

What about guys lke Bourn, Berkman, Choo and Sabathia? Buying Sabathia back likely costs $30+ with the auction infaltion by the way. Bourne at $4 for 2012 or $6 longterm seems like a pretty nice value.
You have a lot of solid options. I like Bourn as an option if you're bent on not keeping a C and like Choo quite a bit as well. BerkmanIndont trust to repeat health or performance. And I know I'm on an island by myself but I think Ubaldo has a very nice bounceback year, especially for a buck. If you don't keep him I'd definitely take him at the cheap price you anticipate he'll go.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:54 am

BigLebowski wrote:*Teixeira, Mark(1B) NYY $19 (1 year remaining on contract)
Posey, Buster(C) SF $3

This is the way I would go. I know you said no C but I don't see anyone else I would rather have over him. I thought about Montero at $1 but I am not sure about his playing time so it would be hard to keep him over Posey.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:54 pm

All of your "locked" keepers are INSANELY good values for a 10 team league with a $300 budget.

The other 4 guys I would keep are-

Bourn, Michael(OF) ATL $4 (if option picked up) or $6 (elig for long term contract) - Good price
Crawford, Carl(OF) BOS $4 - Outstanding price
Zimmerman, Ryan(3B) WAS $1 - Even better price

Sabathia, CC(P) NYY $21 - I'll admit that he is not the most cost effective keeper at $21, but he will certainly earn you more than his salary and is your 5th best player overall. And in such a shallow league, my preference is to keep the stud SP when you have 7 other extremely good bargain players. Yes, you could keep a $3 Posey, which is nice in a 2 catcher league. Can't fault you for that. Just throwing out an alternative.

I do have a question though, what does this mean-

Anyone not currently under contract can be given a 1-4 year contract at the 2012 price.

Does this mean you can keep players after the auction for 1-4 years or before the auction?
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Crawford, Carl(OF) BOS $4 - easy call
Zimmerman, Ryan(3B) WAS $1 - another easy call. Even with Longoria, at the very least you should be able to trade him for great value given his contract.

Here's where it gets more fluid. If you're dead set on not keeping a catcher, I guess don't, but either Posey at $3 or Montero at $1 seem like great bargains to me. C has some inherent risk attached but that doesn't mean you just pass up value like this.

Cabrera, Asdrubal(SS) CLE $6 - depending on how you feel about his 2011 season, could be very good for this price.

Berkman, Lance(1B,OF) STL $7 - good price but I'd probably shy away in a long-term keeper league.

Bourn, Michael(OF) ATL $4 (if option picked up) or $6 (elig for long term contract) - safe pick and a good price; not sure I'd want 2 big time steals OF, although it looks like you start 5 OF (?) so it shouldn't be a problem.

Sabathia, CC(P) NYY $21 if you're gonna keep a pitcher, tough to argue against Sabathia. Track record and a very reasonable price make him the top choice here.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 66)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions