Recommendations for deletion of Astros in NL-only league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Recommendations for deletion of Astros in NL-only league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Recommendations for deletion of Astros in NL-only league

Postby BeSquare » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:57 pm

I am the commish of a long-standing NL-only auction keeper league. With Houston shifting to the AL next year, I am trying to determine an equitable way to handle the loss of any Astros either retained or purchased at this year's auction. Truly just thinking about giving fair warning to all owners ahead of time that any Astros on a team's roster at the end of this season will just fall off the roster without compensation. Any other leagues dealing with this same issue? :*)
A bad three minutes at the auction can cost you three months worth of research!
BeSquare
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Recommendations for deletion of Astros in NL-only league

Postby RDD15 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Dude, they are Astros players. None should really be owned anyhow, even in an NL only league...........j/k of course.

I would just let everyone know ASAP what the plan is first of all. Just doing that should make just about any course of action you take at least acceptable.

I would take a look at what your current rules are for an individual player that changes leagues in the offseason, and implement that if at all possible. This gives you ground to stand on in case any owners cry foul. You already have an existing rule in place that kind of covers the situation, use it. Then you arent making some change that is biased in any way, you are trying to follow the rules as close as possible.

"What happened when Albert Pujols went to the AL? Well, we are doing the same thing when Brian Bogusevic goes to the AL." Any complaint should evaporate at that.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby bigmck » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:43 am

What we are going to do is allow the Astros to be drafted this year and remain on the Fantasy teams for as long as the owner wants. Starting in 2013 when an Astro is dropped by an owner, the player is ineligble to be picked up again.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:37 am

BeSquare wrote:I am the commish of a long-standing NL-only auction keeper league. With Houston shifting to the AL next year, I am trying to determine an equitable way to handle the loss of any Astros either retained or purchased at this year's auction. Truly just thinking about giving fair warning to all owners ahead of time that any Astros on a team's roster at the end of this season will just fall off the roster without compensation. Any other leagues dealing with this same issue? :*)

I'd have no problem with this, it's not like MLB isn't giving you any notice of the switch in leagues. Let the buyer beware.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1440)

Postby converge241 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 am

I think they should just become persona non-gratta when the move occurs with no "make-up" to the owners. basically people should treat them as rentals for the upcoming year and for people that are holding Astros may make some interesting trading activity for others who want to try and rent them and/or I don't know gamble they end up on another NL team through FA or the like

Its unfortunate but really the same principle as losing those individual players. Was your league around when Milwaukee moved over? This will offset that influx of players back then :)
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby Goatrider » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:08 pm

You are on the right track. Treat the entire Astros team with whatever rules you treat NL free agents that sign in AL. The entire team should be ineligible in 2013. All it does is slightly devalue the auction values for 2012 because there is just not alot of keepers on the team. Just let your owners know.

We are actually excited that the NL-Only league just got a bit deeper.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Return to Commissioner's Corner