First Year Prospect Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

First Year Prospect Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: First Year Prospect Draft

Postby Philly_05 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Yeah I went opposite of MasterX. I just went with my gut feeling and picked Trevor Bauer. With his huge upside, work ethic and hopefully quick arrival it was to much for me to pass over.

Now I got to decide who I want in the 2nd round. We get to keep 2 of these guys for free. So far it's gone Cole, Bauer, Rendon, Starling, Lindor, Hultzen, Bradley and Wong.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 531)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aardvarks » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:36 pm

I'll throw a vote in there for Josh Bell, a switch hitter with plus power from both sides of the plate and an above average hit tool.

could move quickly
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 88)

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Philly_05 wrote:Yeah I went opposite of MasterX. I just went with my gut feeling and picked Trevor Bauer. With his huge upside, work ethic and hopefully quick arrival it was to much for me to pass over.

Now I got to decide who I want in the 2nd round. We get to keep 2 of these guys for free. So far it's gone Cole, Bauer, Rendon, Starling, Lindor, Hultzen, Bradley and Wong.

what makes you think any of those guys will be available in the 2nd round?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Philly_05 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Read it again... I said "so far it's gone" meaning players drafted. I must be speaking Russian today. :*)
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:50 pm

sorry, I didn't know who to interpret that. I thought you meant that was your queue. idk if it will help but some deep prospects i'm looking at for 2nd round and on
Matt Purke
Austin Hedges
Dillon Maples
Ravel Santana
Dan Vogelbach
Mason Williams
Trevor Rosenthal
Blake Swihart
Dante Bichette Jr
Joe Terdslavich
Mikie Mahtook
Taylor Guerreiri
Jason Esposito
Nick Delmonico
Bryce Brentz
Justin Grimm
Levi Michael
Rougned Odor
John Hellweg
Sean Gilmartin
Brandon Nimmo
Daniel Corcino
Joe Panik
Trevor Story
Larry Greene
Last edited by MasterX1918 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:13 pm

Not sure how deep your league is and when you'll get to draft next. But Sonny Gray and Matt Barnes are 2 guys that dropped to mid first round that was projected to go about 8 picks higher. Sonny Gray also pitched in AA last year if you want a fast mover.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:12 am

We have 12 teams in the league. I will be drafting again in 4 picks at the top of the 2nd round standard no snaking. So pretty soon I will be up again looking to nab another keeper. I probably won't take all my picks because I only plan on keeping the 2 free players at this point.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby kab21 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Personally I would take Cole/Bauer and then Rendon.

Daniel Norris, Alex Meyer, Sonny Gray and Taylor Guerreri were on my list at pick #23 in my draft and I picked Norris (G & G were drafted before me). I'm of course assuming that no brainer picks like Josh Bell aren't around still.

I might make a pick (#70 or so) so I need to find a sleeper to grab. I might have to dig deep for that one but I landed Heredia late last year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 518)

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Got Trevor Bauer and Josh Bell now. ;-D
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby Fielder's Buffet » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:02 pm

MaudDib wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:I don't know why everybody is so sure about Rendon. Star college 3B playing with injury problem Jr. year, underperform and drop in the draft? I think I've heard that story before except with the name of Pedro Alvarez. I'm not saying Rendon won't be good. But let's see some pro data before we group him in with Bryce Harper and Matt Moore of the world.

As far as the pick goes it's really up to your personal preference. I'm personally not a huge fan of Gerritt Cole solely because I have no faith in the Pirates development program. Hultzen seems like a low(er) upside overdraft at 2 but Seattle does offer the best park here to pitch in. Bauer is one of my favorite of the top 6 group(and there's significant difference between the top 6 and the rest of the draft class. Similar to the top 3 last year.) Bauer is still fighting some pretty serious command problems but he made it to AA after signing and besides his last start, did pretty well there. You may not like the small frame in which case I completely understand. Of the 2 HS arms I actually prefer Archie Bradley from articles I've read and videos I've seen. Bradley has a good frame, good fastball and a curveball that can be plus. Bundy is no slouch either but pitching prospects in the AL East always scares me due to the competition they'll face when they come up. I see no reason to draft Bubba Starling what so ever. Very good athlete, but very raw playing in KS. It will take awhile for him to come up and we don't know how his tools will translate in pro ball until we see some data. Rendon is not bad, good contact hitter and great eye with above average power potential as well as being the guy that might be up first. I just don't think it's an open and shut case that Rendon is the best of the bunch.

Is trading down an option? If so I would try and see if you can trade down to about 4-5(the only guy I really don't like is Starling) and get something valuable out of it.

Edit: I haven't been here for a while. What's this "bases this season" thing?

I was thinking about that comparison for Rendon as well. I just didn't know if I was missing something. I have been surprised at how many people are high on Rendon. It seems like the pitchers around him have more upside and less risk then Rendon. I am not sure I would be that worried about the Pirates system with Cole, they have only recently started drafting well and have had some success with those they have drafted.

The bases info: viewtopic.php?t=437180

I think the major difference between Alvarez and Rendon (we can only compare college stats as Rendon hasn't played in pros yet) is the plate discipline:
If you compare Alvarez's Vanderbilt stats:
http://www.soxprospects.com/players/alvarez-pedro.htm
his K rate was 1:1 or higher in all 3 years... not an indication of how horrible it would become in pro ball, but he did strike out about 25% of the time (improved it to 17% in quite a few less ABs in 08 Sr year)

Rendons college stats:
http://www.riceowls.com/auto_pdf/p_hoto ... sonWrap#00

A 176 BB to 78 K ratio over 682 ABs (11.4% K rate) thats insanely good!

I think this plate discipline will be a huge plus for Rendon to not fall off the cliff BA wise when he arrives unlike Alvarez.
Fielder's Buffet
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball