How Early are you willing to select a 2nd year Player? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

How Early are you willing to select a 2nd year Player?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Early are you willing to select a 2nd year Player?

Postby fantasygameday » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:10 am

Guys,

I am working on research for an article, and I could use some help answering this 2 part question...

Part 1: In a standard 12-team league, what is the earliest round you are willing to draft a second year player?

Part 2: Which player are you willing to take during that round?

I am trying to see what draft philosophies there are regarding second year players. Any help from the members of the community would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Fantasy GameDay - Solutions for YOUR roster

Visit us at http://www.fantasygameday.net
Follow FGD on Twitter or Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter or Facebook in order to access an EXCLUSIVE ADP on January 28th.
fantasygameday
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How Early are you willing to select a 2nd year Player?

Postby ensanimal » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:22 am

Depending on how the start of the draft went, I'd start looking end 4th/early 5th. I'd be looking at Lawrie/Hosmer.

Would this be keeper or redraft?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby fantasygameday » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:30 am

ensanimal wrote:Depending on how the start of the draft went, I'd start looking end 4th/early 5th. I'd be looking at Lawrie/Hosmer.

A redraft league.

Follow us on Twitter or Facebook in order to access an EXCLUSIVE ADP on January 28th.
fantasygameday
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ayebatter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:52 am

I've a pitcher this yr that I've ranked inside the top 80 overall, that I believe I can draft between picks 150-200, doing a Cafe mock right now and I'm going to find out soon. ;-) Other than that I normally shy away from bats with so little MLB face time in re-drafts.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby ensanimal » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:34 am

fantasygameday wrote:
ensanimal wrote:Depending on how the start of the draft went, I'd start looking end 4th/early 5th. I'd be looking at Lawrie/Hosmer.

A redraft league.

Maybe bump it down a bit then.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby bigguy1551 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:53 am

I would wait until round 4 or 5 if its a keeper league, I'd wait a couple more rounds if there is a complete redraft each year . I'd make an exception for a player like Strasburg or Pujols who both have dominated right from their callup. I would go 2nd or 3rd round on a player of that caliber.
bigguy1551
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby fantasygameday » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:00 pm

I find the responses very interesting.

All the votes that I have received on the Facebook page stated they would draft a 2nd year player as high as the second round.

Keep the responses coming!

fantasygameday
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:30 pm

fantasygameday wrote:I find the responses very interesting.

All the votes that I have received on the Facebook page stated they would draft a 2nd year player as high as the second round.

Keep the responses coming!

It really depends, of course. If a player comes out and belts 40 HR batting .300 as a rookie you're treating them differently as other second year players who you're drafting with speculation on growth and potential. If a player is performing at an elite level you draft them where you would regardless of time served. They may take a small knock in redraft, but in a keeper I could see Round 2 in an extreme case.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:44 pm

bigh0rt wrote: If a player is performing at an elite level you draft them where you would regardless of time served.

Absolutely. I tend to take players on a case-by-case basis. Second-year player can by anything from a guy like Hosmer who came up relatively early and raked to Brad Peacock who had a breakout year in the minors followed by small-sample size MLB success.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Goatrider » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:44 am

Don't do drafts, only auction and NL league specific at that. As keepers, my general rule is to never keep a pitcher until after 1 and a half seasons. Somewhere around 15 starts in rookie season, then full season, then keep. Unless he's Strasburg as others have alluded to. However, right now I am debating a cheap Vance Worley as a keeper (but that is mainly due to being part of Phillies rotation). And then during auctions, I will only target second year players on a serious sleeper chance (i.e. Jose Altuve types in NL only as a MI and for around $3-4.) Last year got Mike Morse for $8 after a successful second half in 2010. But I keep second year players to 2 to 3 spots on a 29 man roster. Year three is my magic number.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions