Sell the farm for Pablo Sandoval? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Sell the farm for Pablo Sandoval?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sell the farm for Pablo Sandoval?

Postby KanyeBest » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:32 am

16 team dynasty league (keep 30 MLB players as long as you want, no penalties) with deep minors system. 6x6 (OPS and holds).

Currently I have Martin Prado at 3B. I've been in talks to get Pablo Sandoval, and currently the deal is Sandoval for:

Martin Prado
Jhonny Peralta
Garin Cecchini
33rd overall pick in the minors draft. (With that pick you'd be able to get, say, Javier Baez, Brandon Nimmo, Jonathan Schoop, around that level of prospect)

Those of you not in dynasties please don't say "OMG EASY YES" because Garin Ceechini means nothing to you. You can keep these guys forever; this isn't an easy call for me, that's why I'm asking. This trade puts a lot of eggs in the Sandoval basket and he's not without his question marks.
KanyeBest
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sell the farm for Pablo Sandoval?

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:32 am

Garin Cecchini is a solid prospect, but you have a huge gap at 3rd base named Martin Prado. Sandoval fills that hole now and for the next several years, and it is not like Cecchini doesn't have lots of question marks as well. Make the deal for Sandoval and worry about the prospects a bit later.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:01 am

Even with being able to keep Cecchini indefinitely this seems like a pretty easy deal to pull the trigger on if you're interested in competing now.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby biffy44 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:06 am

I agree with above. Pull the trigger.
biffy44
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)

Postby ensanimal » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:16 am

Another situation where in most cases I always take the proven mlb talent. It's not like Sandoval is old either. I would rather have the upgraded team now than have to wait for it to potentially arrive down the road.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:54 am

ensanimal wrote:Another situation where in most cases I always take the proven mlb talent. It's not like Sandoval is old either. I would rather have the upgraded team now than have to wait for it to potentially arrive down the road.

Agreed
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby bigguy1551 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:44 am

Cecchini is a nice prospect but that is all he is. Kung Fu Panda is a big upgrade over Prado and is still quite young. Pull the trigger on this one. You'll never win if you sit on all your prospects when you can turn them into upgrades over your current talent
bigguy1551
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby KanyeBest » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:18 pm

thanks for the input guys... I accepted the trade. We have large (30 man) prospect rosters so it's sometimes hard to trade from them for fear of falling behind... making your farm team worse just feels like you're cutting out your team's legs. In a strange way it's kind of comforting to see your prospect roster full of good prospects even though they're not helping you at all. Thankfully I still have Profar and Trout to keep my minors team from looking too pathetic. Thanks again for the help.
KanyeBest
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:30 pm

KanyeBest wrote:thanks for the input guys... I accepted the trade. We have large (30 man) prospect rosters so it's sometimes hard to trade from them for fear of falling behind... making your farm team worse just feels like you're cutting out your team's legs. In a strange way it's kind of comforting to see your prospect roster full of good prospects even though they're not helping you at all. Thankfully I still have Profar and Trout to keep my minors team from looking too pathetic. Thanks again for the help.
One of the beautiful things about fantasy baseball is that it allows you to trade prospects for contributors that would be inconceivable in real life. Any time you can trade a speculatory prospect for a much greater likelihood at instant and sustained production, you pull the trigger. I feel you on it feeling as if you're cutting the legs out from under your team, but I think that's a feeling we've developed from seeing Major League teams do it, when the make up of a fantasy roster isn't congruent with it.

Congrats on the trade. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:16 pm

bigh0rt wrote: I feel you on it feeling as if you're cutting the legs out from under your team, but I think that's a feeling we've developed from seeing Major League teams do it, when the make up of a fantasy roster isn't congruent with it.

A very big +1 here.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions