PLEASE RATE MY TEAM ... OPINIONS APPRECIATED - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

PLEASE RATE MY TEAM ... OPINIONS APPRECIATED

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PLEASE RATE MY TEAM ... OPINIONS APPRECIATED

Postby Nittany17 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:23 am

Just wondering what people think of my drafted team ... 10-team league ... 5 x 5 category ... no keepers.

C Jorge Posada Yankees
1B Jeff Bagwell Astros
2B Bret Boone Mariners
SS Kazuo Matsui Mets
3B Morgan Ensberg Astros
3B Joe Crede White Sox
SS/3B/OF Melvin Mora Orioles
2B/3B/OF Desi Relaford Royals
OF Carlos Beltran Royals
OF Ichiro Suzuki Mariners
OF Johnny Damon Red Sox
OF Pat Burrell Phillies
OF Austin Kearns Reds

SP Randy Johnson D'Backs
SP Josh Beckett Marlins
SP Brandon Webb D'Backs
SP Johan Santana Twins
SP Jose Contreras Yankees
SP Kelvim Escobar Angels
SP Brian Lawrence Padres
SP Ben Sheets Brewers
SP A.J. Burnett Marlins ... will IR and pick up someone else after first week.
CL Trevor Hoffman Padres
CL Joe Borowski Cubs
CL Joe Nathan Twins
MR Rafael Soriano Mariners

PS. The position that scares me the most is CLOSER. I may pick up Latroy Hawkins when I place Burnett on the DL unless anyone has an better options for me.

I think I am solid all-around and should be decent. Last year I won my league but we start fresh each year.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Nittany17

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Rick007 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:50 pm

Strong and very balanced team. You should contend for the title. I feel like you might be missing a bit of power numbers, Try trading one of your speedy OF (suzuki or Damon) for a power OF.

Pick Hawkins, once you put Burnett on the DL, unless Valverde is available. Both Hawkins and Valverde are likely to take over closer role in the near future. In fact, if Mantei keeps getting injured Valverde might be a safer pick.

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
Rick007
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nittany17 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:58 pm

Thanks Rick. I agree that I might be lacking some power. I guess I am counting on guys like Beltran, Enberg, Posada and Burrell to possibly hit 35-40 homers this year. If not, I definitely will trade some speed for power at some point.

I read some stuff about Ensberg who I really liked on here that has me a bit worried. I also need Kazuo Matsui to have a solid rookie year at SS. He could be a steal or a bust for me since I got him pretty late in our draft after all the 'top of the line' type shortstops were taken.

I will also pick up either Hawkins, Valverde or even Danys Baez when I place Burnett on the DL.

Would you take Baez over Hawkins or Valverde?
Nittany17

Postby I'm Nobody » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:28 pm

I also think this is a well-rounded team and one you should be proud of. No real holes, decent depth and flexibility.

I'm sure he's not a FA in your league (in any league), but Damaso Marte is expected to become the closer soon -- eveyone is projecting Billy Koch to be the first closer to lose his job.

Nobody
I'm Nobody

Postby Nittany17 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:49 am

Actually Nobody ... Marte is still available in my league. There were some strange "closers" taken in our league like Rod Beck, Justin Speier, Aquilino Lopez, and Hasegawa. I have no idea what those guys were thinking taking them over Baez, Marte, etc...

Best Potential Closers Available IMO are:
Baez
Marte
Valverde
Hawkins

We cannot pick anyone up till after the first week ... not this weekend but the following after all teams have plays games.

I will likely pick up one of the above guys at that time.

Thanks for your input guys.
Nittany17

Postby Entropy! » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:00 pm

Marte and Baez are both locked-in closers, and of the two, Marte should be the better closer. More oppurtunities, better numbers, etc.

I agree with you on Matsui. If you can package him for an upgrade at SS, you might want to do it. He'll probably be solid enough when all is said and doen, but expect there to be a fair amount of struggling this year as he adjusts to MLB pitching.

And I'm pretty sure that Speier is slated to be Toronto's closer to start the season. Unless someone knows something that I haven't seen yet, he should actually be a really good RP for someone. If he's NOT going to be the starting closer, then could someone please tell me? I drafted him for my team!

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
"Whats so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?"

Don't elect Bush president... again!
Entropy!
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team