minor league draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

minor league draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

minor league draft

Postby triple3play » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Who to take, position needs not being a factor. these are guys im looking at: Nestor Molina, Oscar taveras, trevor May, Rymer Liriano, Jeurys familia, Robbie Grossman, Josh Bell, Liam Hendricks, Jonathan Schoop, CJ Cron, Stetson Allie, Willy Peralta, Sonny Gray. If you have any other deep sleeper players please add on.....thanks
triple3play
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: minor league draft

Postby ensanimal » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Without dong much research on the guys I don't know a ton about, I like Bell and Molina.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby cardinal1975 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 am

1. Josh Bell - 30 plus hr potential in the OF
2. Rymer Liriano - Ceiling is 20hr/40steals
3. Oscar Taveras - I don't like him as much as some but should hit for a good average (280plus) with average power (15-20ish hr)
4. Jonathan Schoop - A good infield bat that should hit for a solid average with at least average power
5. Trevor May - Had a great 2011 season but it also stands to reason that he did spend the entire year in High A ball after spending half of 2010 there so he was expected to do well with his stuff. A great arm but I almost always prefer the hitter to the pitcher as the attrition rates on pitchers in the minors is very high due to injuries or lack of development more so than hitters.

I think Bell is the safest pick in my book that also has a good upside and with power on the downswing across the majors he is the guy I want. Liriano has the most raw talent/loudest tools but also has the most work to do with the bat in this group. Taveras makes great contact but I am not sold on his power developing past average. I go back and forth on Taveras and Schoop so I could easily see taking Schoop over Taveras if your league values the infielder over the outfielder.

I would take these 4 over anyone else you listed by a good margin as Molina is a back end (#4 or #5 SP) starter at best, Familia is likely a bullpen guy long term, Grossman had great numbers but repeated High A so improvement was expected, Hendricks is a back end starter, Cron had contact issues in A ball (it only gets tougher from there) and will have to hit his way to the majors, Allies struggled badly with the strike zone and will almost certainly end up in the bullpen, Peralta is a likely back end starter, and Gray is probably a mid rotation type (#3 or #4) starter if he can handle the innings workload.
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Have to agree, I would take Bell. He has the highest ceiling of anyone there.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Josh Bell is my sure fire choice of the bunch, with Liriano 2nd. I like Cron's potential as well, even though he struggled last year, and Allie has a great arm if he can figure it out.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:34 pm

triple3play wrote: If you have any other deep sleeper players please add on.....thanks

That's waaaaay too broad a topic. Minor league sleepers is an entire article. Per team. So like 30 articles.

I agree with cardinal1975's list. I do think he's underselling Trevor May and Nestor Molina though. The fact that a lot of pitching prospects flame out makes me want to take more of them in a deep minors system. Spread the risk around, hope some of them develop into aces. Anyway - Molina may not have the stuff of a TOR starter but the results he got last year say he can be more than a back-end guy. Especially now that he's out of the AL East, he has a chance to be a solid no. 3. Plus he's very close to the majors. I like him a lot.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Are you only taking one player? Or are you drafting more than one?

The consensus seems to be Bell and I'd have to agree.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions