Sands or Rizzo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Sands or Rizzo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sands or Rizzo

Postby edge27 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:00 pm

In Rookie draft...who will be better this year...Sands or Rizzo (will get traded so he can play?)
edge27
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sands or Rizzo

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:32 pm

Is it for this year only?? I'm perplexed by the question, as Rookie drafts usually indicate some sort of keeper implications with them, so the thought would/should scope beyond just this year... At any rate...

I think Sands has a clearer path to getting regular AB than Rizzo in 2012. You can't assume that Rizzo will be moved and Sandsapalooza raked last September, hopefully boosting him to some more consistent play in 2012. If I have to take one based on expectations on this year alone, I'll go with Sands.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby ensanimal » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:43 pm

For now and for this year I'd say Sands based on opportunity. If Rizzo isn't moved, he's kind of blocked by the approximately 32 1B/OF/DH types on the roster.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:53 pm

I don't like my options if those are the only two. Sands has poor splits and is bound to platoon. Rizzo is just blocked. Gun to my head, I say Sands, cause he'll get more AB's without a trade for Rizzo.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby edge27 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:58 pm

Yes...i'm looking for good stats in 2012 and it is a keeper league. I hear Rizzo could go to cubs or rays. If Sands ends up in a platoon it would be the wrong side AB-wise. But would they really start Gwynn over him??? And how many at bats would he lose to Juan Rivera?

Assuming Rizzo is dealt and they both get 400 at bats, who would you go with?
edge27
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:29 am

edge27 wrote:Yes...i'm looking for good stats in 2012 and it is a keeper league. I hear Rizzo could go to cubs or rays. If Sands ends up in a platoon it would be the wrong side AB-wise. But would they really start Gwynn over him??? And how many at bats would he lose to Juan Rivera?

Well with that 'if' it easily becomes Rizzo. Realistically, whichever one of the two gets more AB is going to be more valuable in 2012. Rumors speculate about players being moved all the time, and just because it would seem to make sense to various baseball scribes for the Padres to move one of their 1B/LF/DH type players doesn't mean they're actually going to, or that it will necessarily be Rizzo. If he is moved, however, into a situation where he gets AB, he's your guy.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby ensanimal » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:35 am

bigh0rt wrote:
edge27 wrote:Yes...i'm looking for good stats in 2012 and it is a keeper league. I hear Rizzo could go to cubs or rays. If Sands ends up in a platoon it would be the wrong side AB-wise. But would they really start Gwynn over him??? And how many at bats would he lose to Juan Rivera?

Well with that 'if' it easily becomes Rizzo. Realistically, whichever one of the two gets more AB is going to be more valuable in 2012. Rumors speculate about players being moved all the time, and just because it would seem to make sense to various baseball scribes for the Padres to move one of their 1B/LF/DH type players doesn't mean they're actually going to, or that it will necessarily be Rizzo. If he is moved, however, into a situation where he gets AB, he's your guy.

Agreed. Wait it out as long as possible before having to declare which one your keeping.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:12 am

In a keeper league I would take Rizzo regardless of how many AB he gets this year vs. Sands.

I really hope your team isn't relying on one of these guys to get a full season worth of AB because I don't see that happening barring a Rizzo trade. And if this is the case, where you need one of these guys to produce, is it fair to say you won't be THAT competitive? Or are you just looking for a non-starter who you can sub in when needed?
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kidsilk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:40 am

I like Sands as he has more of a direct route to putting up numbers sooner than later in comparison to Rizzo.

please help

viewtopic.php?t=437842
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1231)

Postby Goatrider » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:02 pm

I have both these guys and in exact same position.

I have to say Sands. He fixed some whole in his swing and was on FIRE last Sept. That is something Rizzo has not proven he can do. He has a direct route for playing time and ultimately I fully expect Either to soon be out of favor with Kemp signed and Kershaw's contract coming. Yonder is going to be Pares 1B, he has age, slight pedigree advantage, and a better start in bigs (albiet small sample size). Rizzo is proabably going to be traded (again an if). But if he is traded, then he probably ends in Chicago. Most reports have hime directly linked to Cubs or traded to Rays then flipped to Cubs. More ifs though. That is a mixed bag. Bad line-up protection but Wrigley has become a haven for left-handed power hitters (17% more HR production) due to changing wind patterns. But with Rizzo's young age and bad team situation, his production is a couple years away. Even if he is a Ray, what does he bat; seventh?

Also, remember Davey Lopes in LA and a team commitment to running. With Sands low-end speed in the minors, I'd expect ten steals from him too.

peace
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions