Pick my 6 Keepers--WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Pick my 6 Keepers--WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pick my 6 Keepers--WHIR

Postby segerfan83 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:01 pm

I am in a 16 team keeper league with standard roto scoring (Avg, HR, RBI, SB, R, W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV). We keep 6 players from the previous year and the draft is a normal draft based on previous year's finish. I tanked the last 2 months of the season to secure the first draft position this year. Which of these players would you keep going into next year? I put an asterisk next to the players I am thinking of keeping. Please provide a brief explanation of why you are choosing another player or why you disagree with one of my choices. Thank you ahead of time and link me to your question and I will help you out as well.

Mike Aviles
Darwin Barney
Shin-Soo Choo
Adrian Gonzalez*
Jason Heyward
Chipper Jones
Miguel Olivo
Jhonny Peralta
Martin Prado
Mike Trout*
Dan Uggla*
Will Venable
Delmon Young

Madison Bumgarner*
Aaron Harang
Mat Latos*
Ted Lilly
Ricky Nolasco
Jon Rauch
Anibal Sanchez
Jonathan Sanchez
Max Scherzer
Stephen Strasburg*
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick my 6 Keepers--WHIR

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:27 pm

This team doesn't leave you very many options and I think you may have gotten the correct six.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Adrian Gonzalez*
Jason Heyward
Mike Trout*

Madison Bumgarner*
Mat Latos*
Stephen Strasburg*

I don't think you can afford to throw Heyward back with your team. He has way too much talent and you definitely need some offense that hopefully he can provide.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:50 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:Adrian Gonzalez*
Jason Heyward
Mike Trout*

Madison Bumgarner*
Mat Latos*
Stephen Strasburg*

I don't think you can afford to throw Heyward back with your team. He has way too much talent and you definitely need some offense that hopefully he can provide.

This is what I was thinking. I know the 2B would be very nice is such a deep league but Heyward has the potential to be a special talent and I would give it another year before I cut bait on him.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:59 pm

When I was looking at those six I was trying to see who wouldn't make the cut so he could keep Heyward and it would've had to be Uggla, but I'd have a real tough time if Heyward continued his struggles from last year. If he shows the growth we expected however, I guess I'd be kicking myself even harder for kicking him back into the pool.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby rdd121robroy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:27 pm

I would go with your 6 guys but swap out Heyward or maybe even Chop for Trout. I think it's a year early on him and you should be able to get him back in the draft if you want. He doesn't appear to have a clear shot at playing time or even making the team out of spring training.
rdd121robroy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:11 pm

Jason Heyward
Mike Trout*

Madison Bumgarner*
Mat Latos*
Stephen Strasburg*

i agree with keeping heyward but i'd drop latos, not uggla. could also see dropping trout for choo.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby ensanimal » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Jason Heyward
Mike Trout*

Madison Bumgarner*
Mat Latos*
Stephen Strasburg*

Agree with this. I'd go with the high upside guys. Also, worst case, having the 1st overall pick gets you the best dropped player. If no one else drops anyone of any substance, you get Uggla back in the draft. I wouldn't want to give up on the young talent in a 16 team league. If you drop one, you're going to have a hard time ever getting them back.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:06 am

I think you have to keep Uggla along with AGonzo. After that you can have a debate. Your staff is not going to wow anyone with Bumgarner, Latos and Strasburg (at least not on paper from a trade value perspective...not yet at least). Really, you can take any two of those 3 SPs and throw them back and speculate all you like on Heyward and Choo and Trout imo. You can probably pick up decent SPs in the draft that will give you similar numbers to what they will put up. All three are ranked in the 80-120 range overall so keeping 96 in your league they are just stradling the line of keeper worthiness and in theory can be replaced as such by SPs of similar value. Of course the hitters in debate are pretty much in the same range. Choo is probably the highest ranked one of the lot and slightly better at 60-80 overall maybe but presents a risk like Heyward. Heyward is probably not as safe a pick. Bumgarner is a safe pick. Trout is a gamble but someone will usually overpay for unproven talent in a keeper. I would not keep three pitchers out of 6 with this lot in a deep league. Pitching is easier to replace than hitting. Who you want to keep though on the pitching side is really one of personal preference.

Me personnaly, I saw enough crummy play from Heyward to not like what I saw. I would rather gamble on Choo, who was bothered more by injuries last season and is supposed to be 100% going into 2012 but that is not saying much of course. I think you basically are going for broke if you keep both Strasburg and Trout (could win big or lose big). I would deal one in a package for an upgrade if possible to cut down on the risk and lock in the current value in a keeper. That is of course a lot easier to say than to do usually.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 775)

Postby segerfan83 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:02 am

I certainly appreciate all of the responses up until this point. There are some wide ranging view points for sure. I do have the first pick so I can technically keep 7 if I go that route. I was a bit surprised to hear that this team is that bad. I thought with a good draft I could finish top 5, but I agree that I am relying a lot on young talent which can be tricky. I made two trades last year to get some of those players. They were as follows:

I traded:
Jon Lester
Brennan Boesch
Andre Ethier

I got:
Madison Bumgarner
Dan Uggla
Stephen Strasburg
Aaron Harang

I traded:
James Shields

I got:
Jhonny Peralta

Would you have made those trades? My thinking was to obtain players at premium spots. My final keepers at that point were going to potentially be: 1B Gonzalez, 2B Uggla, 3B Prado, SS Peralta, SP Strasburg, SP Bumgarner. I wasn't big on Shields as I think he's due to regress quite a bit, but I think I could have gotten more for him now that I think a little more about it. I also thought Lester and Ethier were regressing.
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 15)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions