Which 6 should I keep - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which 6 should I keep

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which 6 should I keep

Postby Gmunu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:08 pm

I am in a Fantasy Baseball Keeper league with the following rules:
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, DL
Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Batting Average (AVG)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Pitching Appearances (APP), Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Nine Innings (K/9)

We are allowed to keep 6 players and I have to chose from the following guys:
Carl Crawford, David Freese, Brett Lawrie, Victor Martinez, Pablo Sandoval, Mark Teixeira, Joey Votto
Zack Grienke, Jeremy Hellickson, Daniel Hudson, Matt Moore, Steven Strasburg, Julio Teheran, Vance Worley

With as deep rosters as this league has, it is difficult to find many good players on waivers during the season so keeping the right players is crucial. I am leaning toward keeping V. Mart, Tex, Votto, Strasburg, and have to decide who else is best for my other 2 keepers. Will Crawford bounce back to pre 2010 output? Am I better off keeping a young SP like Moore, Hellickson, or Worley over a proven vet like Grienke? Is Sandoval or Lawrie the way to go?
I have a little while before I need to turn in my keeper list but with fantasy football now done I am starting to think about which way to do this. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thank You.
Gmunu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which 6 should I keep

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:21 pm

How many teams?

This could change depending on the teams as that changes the depth at certain positions. But here is who I would take assuming this is a regular size league (10-14 teams):

Carl Crawford - Tough to cut but I just don't believe in him enough to keep him over anyone else
David Freese - Shouldn't be on this list. Don't pay for the playoff numbers
Brett Lawrie ;-D
Victor Martinez ;-D
Pablo Sandoval - Tough but I don't trust him and prefer Lawrie even though Sandoval is a better bet for 2012
Mark Teixeira ;-D
Joey Votto ;-D
Zack Grienke ;-D
Jeremy Hellickson - Not better than the other SP keepers
Daniel Hudson - Not better than the other SP keepers
Matt Moore - Tough to cut but have to keep Strasburg and Greinke before him. Try and get him in the draft though.
Steven Strasburg ;-D
Julio Teheran - Too young to even warrant a thought
Vance Worley - Worst of the bunch

Lawrie is the wild card here. I think he is really good but people can make a case for Crawford, Pablo or even Moore over him. And I can't really argue against it. I just like him and think he will be a top 5 3B for many years. If you think you can get him back in the draft, then maybe I take Moore as he has #1 SP written all over him.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby ensanimal » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:25 pm

Brett Lawrie
Pablo Sandoval
Mark Teixeira
Joey Votto
Matt Moore
Steven Strasburg

Some really tough cuts here with Crawford, VMart and Greinke. A lto could depend on the amount of teams, and how you gauge the draft going. Do guys usually jump on young guys early or do they have the chance to fall a little?

I'd be really tempted to go this way and go really young with high upside, especially on the pitching side.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 111)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Joey Votto
Mark Teixeira
Pablo Sandoval
Victor Martinez
Zack Grienke
Steven Strasburg

Tough to drop Crawford or Lawrie, but I think this is the best combination of current talent and youth. I could see keeping Lawrie over V-mart since you only start one catcher and there's a decent chance that he loses catcher eligibility after this year. I think the other 5 are locks though.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby rdd121robroy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Carl Crawford
Pablo Sandoval
Mark Teixeira
Joey Votto
Zack Greinke
Steven Strasburg

Lawrie, VMart and Moore just miss the cut for me. I'm not big on drafting or keeping "elite" catchers, Moore has huge upside but would seem to be very draftable. Lawrie is the toughest cut for me but I'll gamble on Panda if he comes to Spring Training in shape again.

Maybe you can try and package Tex and VMart or Moore or something like that for a stud keeper?
rdd121robroy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Based on your settings you're going to want to definitely load up on relievers and especially some RP who have SP eligibility with App and K/9 being categorie. Otherwise you've already gotten some solid keeper advice here.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Lawrie
Sandoval
Teixeira
Votto
Strasburg
Moore

I would have to hang onto Moore even though both Crawford and Greinke should be better this year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ayebatter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:36 am

Carl Crawford
Brett Lawrie
Pablo Sandoval
Mark Teixeira
Joey Votto
Steven Strasburg
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1387)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:37 am

I think you have to keep Crawford (or trade him at least). You just can't give up on a high round talent because of one off year. Going with an unproven guy like Strasburg or mediocre fantasy talent like Sandoval over a guy like Crawford seems to be short sighted imo. Of course maybe Crawford is just a huge choke artist, but you just have to believe what he did for Tampa for years was no accident.

Sandoval is nothing special (and stunk 2 years ago as well). Strasburg is unproven. Lawrie was a rookie (150 ABs in the Majors). VMart will probably loose his C elig at some point down the road though for now he has a lot of value. Greinke has seen his ups and downs as well.

To me, Votto and Tex are no-brainers. After that you can have a debate on it but I would be inclined to keep Vmart, Crawford and Greinke. The final spot is tough, but I probably take a chance on Lawrie. I am not a Sandoval fan (poor hitting team in a pitcher's park in a division with other pitcher's parks...LA and SD). Strasburg is just too unproven and I prefer to gamble on sticks over pitchers with an injury history (just coming off TJ surgery).

If you can, I would look to maybe do a 2 for 1 and trade Strasburg\Greinke and Sandoval\Crawford\??? for and elite ace (Kershaw, Weaver, etc.).
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 765)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:22 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:If you can, I would look to maybe do a 2 for 1 and trade Strasburg\Greinke and Sandoval\Crawford\??? for and elite ace (Kershaw, Weaver, etc.).

I like this idea. There are a lot of people who are big Strasburg fans and if you can make a deal for Kershaw or another star player that would be great. Would really help if the other team isn't very good. If you traded 3 of Crawford/Greinke/Moore/Strasburg it could land you Kershaw without effecting your keepers. This would leave you with Votto, Teixeira, Lawrie and VMart plus one of those 4 you didn't trade and Kershaw/another star player.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions