2012 C Sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 C Sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2012 C Sleepers

Postby WebHamster » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:56 pm

A sleeper is harder to define in fantasy baseball. Back in the day (now I’m sounding like my grandfather), finding a true sleeper seemed like a rare thing, but in the information age, everything is known to virtually every owner in your league. So at this point, the best we can do is use the [...]

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2012 ... _c2012.php
Image
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 24410
(Past Year: 554)
Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 C Sleepers

Postby Tavish » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:03 pm

No love for Sal Perez? He probably won't be anywhere close to the .330 type hitter he was after his call-up last season, but he does have the starting spot locked down, has some decent power (10-15 HR range) and should be able to hit at least in the .270 area.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11070
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 C Sleepers

Postby daullaz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Tavish wrote:No love for Sal Perez? He probably won't be anywhere close to the .330 type hitter he was after his call-up last season, but he does have the starting spot locked down, has some decent power (10-15 HR range) and should be able to hit at least in the .270 area.


I was going to include him, but a) that average is coming way down, and b) he was ranked pretty high on MDC (12th at catcher, I believe). Seems a little high for me already.
Image
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4884
(Past Year: 56)
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Babel

Re: 2012 C Sleepers

Postby Tavish » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:27 pm

daullaz wrote:
Tavish wrote:No love for Sal Perez? He probably won't be anywhere close to the .330 type hitter he was after his call-up last season, but he does have the starting spot locked down, has some decent power (10-15 HR range) and should be able to hit at least in the .270 area.


I was going to include him, but a) that average is coming way down, and b) he was ranked pretty high on MDC (12th at catcher, I believe). Seems a little high for me already.

Good research on your part then, if he is already going 12th I wouldn't consider him a sleeper. I was just comparing the sleepers to where you had them ranked in the preseason article (you had Perez @ 27th).
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11070
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 C Sleepers

Postby Element » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:31 am

I have a feeling that Mesoroco is going to be on a lot of these kinds lists.
Image
Element
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4909
(Past Year: 719)
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 C Sleepers

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:43 pm

daullaz wrote:Sal Perez

12th at catcher

:-?
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: 2012 C Sleepers

Postby Saltydog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Wilson Ramos. He was behind Joe Mauer before being traded to Washington for Capps. With Jesus Flores and Pudge out of the picture he should be a full time starter now.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Vartiek is being put to pasture, and I don't see Lavarnway being an every day catcher for the Red Sox. Salty was finally given a chance to flourish and could reach 20 HR.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 762
(Past Year: 143)
Joined: 4 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 C Sleepers

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Catcher is going to have a lot of sleepers this year.

Perez, Mesoraco, Wilin Rosario, Ramos, a rebound from Soto, a full season from Saltalamacchia. Though I'd avoid Mesoraco in redraft leagues because It's going to be a split (at best) with Hanigan - who is a very solid catcher in his own right.

Plus, people will be drafting Mauer and Posey later than they normally would because of the injuries last year.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1363
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 19 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 C Sleepers

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:08 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:Catcher is going to have a lot of sleepers this year.

Perez, Mesoraco, Wilin Rosario, Ramos, a rebound from Soto, a full season from Saltalamacchia. Though I'd avoid Mesoraco in redraft leagues because It's going to be a split (at best) with Hanigan - who is a very solid catcher in his own right.

Plus, people will be drafting Mauer and Posey later than they normally would because of the injuries last year.

Not so sure about Posey. Between now and March, the injury will be forgotten about in favor of the typical hype train that accompanies young stars like him. I'm predicting a late 4th/early 5th round MDP for Posey.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: 2012 C Sleepers

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:01 pm

I know he's getting up there, but I like Ramon Hernandez in Colorado. His ISO has gone up the last 3 years running and could give you .290/15 HR. Not too bad if you're completely punting the position.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1986
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting on the steps of Busch Stadium

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Oct. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact