2012 Fantasy Baseball Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 Fantasy Baseball Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 Fantasy Baseball Rankings

Postby kab21 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:36 am

daullaz wrote:
Drafting for saves can be dangerous. I'd rather have high skill RPs than mediocre options that are expected to close. There's a ton of turnover every year at the position, obviously.

There's logic with both choices. Most elite setup guys continue to be stuck as elite setup guys. It's pretty unpredictable so I would rather start with guys that are closers (but not pay a lot for mediocre ones).

And I'm not talking about maybe closers. I'm talking about for sure closers like Farnsworth and League. It's nice to have elite setup guys for the ratios but I'm not drafting them if they are behind rock solid closers. I fill out the rest of my team with good setup guys that have a chance at closing. And there are tons of these guys available every year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby toledomudhens » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:19 am

good read.....some guys are to high and some to low....but overall pretty good . i do have to ask, why is vaverde the 17th closer on that list?...this one stuck out like a sore thumb a little to me....
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 196)

Postby daullaz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:26 am

toledomudhens wrote:good read.....some guys are to high and some to low....but overall pretty good . i do have to ask, why is vaverde the 17th closer on that list?...this one stuck out like a sore thumb a little to me....

Despite the 49 saves last year, he's really declined over the last four years. K rate has slid each year, and now he's striking out less than a batter per inning. He's walked more than four batters per nine innings in each of the last two years. His numbers last season were largely luck-based -- he's more of a 4.00 ERA pitcher than a 2.24 ERA pitcher at this point. Benoit has out-pitched Valverde in each of the last two seasons, and now the Tigers also have Dotel, who has closing experience as well as better skills, especially in striking out batters. At 34, Valverde's a classic dangerous RP selection that could lose his saves at any time. Maybe 2009-2010 Brian Fuentes is a good comp?

Heading over to Baseball Reference, Valverde's closest similarity scores through age 33 are Troy Percival, Francisco Cordero and Brad Lidge. If he stays in the closer role the next few years, I think Cordero is a good comp as well.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers