Which 6 players should I keep?!? 100% WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which 6 players should I keep?!? 100% WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which 6 players should I keep?!? 100% WHIR

Postby TheGhost » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:52 pm

I need help with who I should keep!!!!

So I play in a ten team, H2H, yahoo league that keeps 6 players.

You are allowed to keep:
2 players that you drafted between rounds 1-5
2 players that you drafted between rounds 6-10
2 players that you drafted between rounds 11-23

If you keep a player, you lose that spot plus one round in the draft. For instance, if you draft a player in round 3 and keep him next year, he is round 2 keeper next year and you lose your second round pick. If you keep two players from rounds 1 and 2 respectively, you lose both rounds as you can't go higher then 1. Same goes for a player who you drafted in (for example) round 12 and pick up a guy off of waivers who was drafted in round 12. If you keep both, you would lose rounds 10 and 11 in the draft. Another thing: If you pick up a player off of waivers that was drafted that year and you keep him the next year, you have to keep him at his drafted spot. If he is a free agent and was not drafted and you keep him, you lose your 23rd round pick (or 21, 22, if you keep 3 free agents next year from this years team).

An owner is not required to keep players from any round. For example, if an owner chose to keep 6 free agents. He would lose draft pick rounds 18-23.

The round in which I drafted the player is in bold after the players name. 100% WHIR

Here's my roster:

C: Matt Wieters (12th rd.)
1B: Lance Berkman (22nd rd.)
2B: Dan Uggla (3rd rd.)
3B: Kevin Youkilis (3rd rd.)
SS: Elvis Andrus (9th rd.)
OF: Mike Stanton (8th rd.)
OF: Jay Bruce (7th rd.)
OF: Michael Morse (22nd rd.)
UTL: CarGo (1st rd.)
UTL: Eric Hosmer (23rd rd.)

BN:Starlin Castro (17th rd.)
BN:Mike Trout (FA)
BN: Dayan Viciedo (FA)

Pitchers: Roy Halladay (2nd rd.), Yovanni Gallardo (6th rd.), Jeremy Hellickson (15th rd), Daniel Hudson (13th rd.), Michael Pineda (22nd rd.), Matt Garza (19th rd.), Shaun Marcum (11th rd.), Roy Oswalt (10th rd.)

RP: Joakim Soria (9th rd.), Fernando Salas (FA), Andrew Bailey (15th rd.)

What six do I keep? THANKS! ...and WHIR
Last edited by TheGhost on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 110)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which 6 players should I keep?!? 100% WHIR

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:11 pm

Assuming I read everything right and you're allowed to keep a 1st rounder, this is what I would do.

Rounds 1-5:
Carlos Gonzalez (1)
Roy Halladay (2)

Rounds 6-10:
Mike Stanton (8)
Elvis Andrus (9)

Rounds 11-23:
Michael Pineda (22)
Eric Hosmer (23)
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby TheGhost » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:24 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Assuming I read everything right and you're allowed to keep a 1st rounder, this is what I would do.

Rounds 1-5:
Carlos Gonzalez (1)
Roy Halladay (2)

Rounds 6-10:
Mike Stanton (8)
Elvis Andrus (9)

Rounds 11-23:
Michael Pineda (22)
Eric Hosmer (23)

Thanks for the advice man. I'm actually leaning against keeping either of my first two picks. That way I can keep cheap talent later in the draft and there's a good chance I could redraft Cargo and Halladay in the draft anyway should I want them. I'll amend my post to say that we don't NEED TO KEEP any particular round... you just can't keep more then what's stated in the league settings. That said, I'm considering keeping something like this:

Mike Stanton for a 7th round pick
Jay Bruce for a 6th round pick
Starlin Castro for a 16th round pick
Mike Trout for a 23rd round pick
Michael Pineda for a 21st round draft pick

And either Mike Morse or Eric Hosmer for a 22nd round pick.

If I kept these picks I would have my first 5 picks still available in my draft and have a solid youthful player base for years on the cheap... thoughts?
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:50 pm

You are allowed to keep:

An owner is not required to keep players from any round. For example, if an owner chose to keep 6 free agents. He would lose draft pick rounds 18-23.

I am completely confused by these things you have said. They contradict themselves. And your response lists your keepers as:

That said, I'm considering keeping something like this:

So I am assuming you can keep more than 2 players per the first quote (2 players for certain rounds). Here is who I would keep in order of who I like the best (so if you can't keep a player for some reason, remove the lowest on the list until you get your 6)-

1) Eric Hosmer 1B (23rd rd.) - Your best value pick by FAR
2) Mike Stanton OF (8th rd.) - Absolute stud at a very good price
3) Michael Pineda SP (22nd rd.) - Insanely good value with this pick as well, but I like Homser and Stanton more
4) Elvis Andrus SS (9th rd.) - Good value for a young guy who is going to be a top 5 SS
5) Mike Trout OF (FA) - Not guaranteed playing time as of now, but if he does play, the payoff could be insanely good
6) Jay Bruce OF (7th rd.) - Mike Stanton light, but with a slightly higher price

Backups-

7) Starlin Castro SP (17th rd.) - If you can't keep Andrus, Starlin Castro is a good keeper at this price
8) Matt Garza SP (19th rd.) - I like Garza a lot in the 19th round. I think he is due for a good year

I would not keep Halladay or Carlos Gonzalez because, as you say, you can redraft them if you want. IF you cannot get a 1st round talent player with your 1st round pick, then I keep Cargo.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:07 pm

TheGhost wrote:Thanks for the advice man. I'm actually leaning against keeping either of my first two picks. That way I can keep cheap talent later in the draft and there's a good chance I could redraft Cargo and Halladay in the draft anyway should I want them. I'll amend my post to say that we don't NEED TO KEEP any particular round... you just can't keep more then what's stated in the league settings. That said, I'm considering keeping something like this:

If I kept these picks I would have my first 5 picks still available in my draft and have a solid youthful player base for years on the cheap... thoughts?

This is all very confusing. I assumed you had to keep two players from each set of rounds... if that's not the case then I'd pick different keepers.

Stanton
Castro
Pineda
Hosmer
Morse
Trout or Bruce (I'd probably go Bruce but it could go either way)
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:36 pm

OF: Michael Morse (22nd rd.)
Michael Pineda (22nd rd.),
Matt Garza (19th rd.),
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onitapgr » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Yeah, I don't think people are getting your settings, they're pretty confusing...but I think this list will work.

Between 1-5 (or FA)
Roy Halladay (2nd rd.)
BN:Mike Trout (FA)

Between 6-10 (or FA)
OF: Jay Bruce (7th rd.)

Between 11-23 (or FA)
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TheGhost » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:51 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:
You are allowed to keep:

I am completely confused by these things you have said. They contradict themselves. And your response lists your keepers as:

That said, I'm considering keeping something like this:

So I am assuming you can keep more than 2 players per the first quote (2 players for certain rounds). Here is who I would keep in order of who I like the best (so if you can't keep a player for some reason, remove the lowest on the list until you get your 6)-

1) Eric Hosmer 1B (23rd rd.) - Your best value pick by FAR
2) Mike Stanton OF (8th rd.) - Absolute stud at a very good price
3) Michael Pineda SP (22nd rd.) - Insanely good value with this pick as well, but I like Homser and Stanton more
4) Elvis Andrus SS (9th rd.) - Good value for a young guy who is going to be a top 5 SS
5) Mike Trout OF (FA) - Not guaranteed playing time as of now, but if he does play, the payoff could be insanely good
6) Jay Bruce OF (7th rd.) - Mike Stanton light, but with a slightly higher price

Backups-

7) Starlin Castro SP (17th rd.) - If you can't keep Andrus, Starlin Castro is a good keeper at this price
8) Matt Garza SP (19th rd.) - I like Garza a lot in the 19th round. I think he is due for a good year

I would not keep Halladay or Carlos Gonzalez because, as you say, you can redraft them if you want. IF you cannot get a 1st round talent player with your 1st round pick, then I keep Cargo.

Thanks for the response and I'm having a difficult time putting into words our scoring system. Let me try again. You can't keep more then 2 players between rounds 1 and 5. Same Idea for rounds 6-10. But you can keep more in the later rounds if you choose not to keep players in the upper rounds. For instance, under no scenario could I keep Stanton, Bruce and Andrus because all three were drafted between 6-10. I hope this clears things up a little bit. That's why I feel like Castro is a no brainer here. Great price at a thin position and I won't have to worry about finding one in the draft.
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheGhost » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:03 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
TheGhost wrote:Thanks for the advice man. I'm actually leaning against keeping either of my first two picks. That way I can keep cheap talent later in the draft and there's a good chance I could redraft Cargo and Halladay in the draft anyway should I want them. I'll amend my post to say that we don't NEED TO KEEP any particular round... you just can't keep more then what's stated in the league settings. That said, I'm considering keeping something like this:

This is all very confusing. I assumed you had to keep two players from each set of rounds... if that's not the case then I'd pick different keepers.

Stanton
Castro
Pineda
Hosmer
Morse
Trout or Bruce (I'd probably go Bruce but it could go either way)

This is the way I'm leaning. Kind of want to keep that one rare prospect that I can have for next to nothing forever and that guy is Trout. Plus, I like him hitting (eventually) in front of Pujols. If I throw Bruce and Castro back in the draft I could keep:

Stanton, Andrus, Trout, Morse, Pineda and Hosmer
the other scenario is...
Stanton, Bruce, Hosmer, Pineda, Castro and Trout
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:20 pm

TheGhost wrote:Thanks for the response and I'm having a difficult time putting into words our scoring system. Let me try again. You can't keep more then 2 players between rounds 1 and 5. Same Idea for rounds 6-10. But you can keep more in the later rounds if you choose not to keep players in the upper rounds. For instance, under no scenario could I keep Stanton, Bruce and Andrus because all three were drafted between 6-10. I hope this clears things up a little bit. That's why I feel like Castro is a no brainer here. Great price at a thin position and I won't have to worry about finding one in the draft.

Yes, that certainly clears things up!

That said, here is who I would keep-

Rounds 1-5 - Nobody

Rounds 6-10 - Stanton and Bruce

Rounds 11-23- Castro, Hosmer, and Pineda

The last keeper would be either Garza or Morse. But I think Garza has a great year and Morse regresses, so Garza would be my vote. Can't fault you for going with Morse though. If you can wait until March to make a choice, then Trout may factor in as well for that last spot, if he gets playing time.

I do like Andrus more than Bruce, but since you have Castro, Bruce is the better keeper for that set of rounds. I like Castro + Bruce more than Morse + Andrus.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions