3 Way Deal Almost Finalized - Draft Pick Swap? WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

3 Way Deal Almost Finalized - Draft Pick Swap? WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

3 Way Deal Almost Finalized - Draft Pick Swap? WHIR!

Postby KJROD20 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:23 am

So I'm close to finalizing a 3 way deal in a 14 team, 10 keeper (and 5 minor keeper) h2h points league:

Player 1 gives Grienke, Marcum, and Ackley, gets Votto and Strasburg
Player 2 gives Votto, Strasburg, and Hosmer, gets Grienke, Marcum, and Ubaldo
Player 3 gives Ubaldo, gets Hosmer and Ackley

Now Player 2 and Player 3 are swapping a draft pick to close the deal. What is a fair value swap in this situation? Of course, we'll be starting in the 11th round with the top 140 (plus any major ready minors players).

WHIR as always. Thanks.
KJROD20
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 3 Way Deal Almost Finalized - Draft Pick Swap? WHIR!

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:16 pm

KJROD20 wrote:Now Player 2 and Player 3 are swapping a draft pick to close the deal. What is a fair value swap in this situation? Of course, we'll be starting in the 11th round with the top 140 (plus any major ready minors players).

WHIR as always. Thanks.

Player 1 gives Grienke, Marcum, and Ackley, gets Votto and Strasburg

Player 1 is clearly running away with this deal. Greinke is a stud, but he is getting Votto AND Strasburg for Greinke? Marcum and Ackley are throw-aways compared to the others. The young talent Player 1 is receiving is an insanely good value. Player 1 should be shipping off draft picks IMO.

I hope you are player 1.

Player 2 gives Votto, Strasburg, and Hosmer, gets Grienke, Marcum, and Ubaldo

Player 2 is getting royally ****ed here. Giving up 3 young studs for what? Greinke and 2 SP who are fringe keepers at best. Losing Votto, Strasburg, and Hosmer? He better be getting royalties in draft picks. I would think getting a 1st round pick from both other players, as well as second round, and third round picks as well. And even then that may not even be enough. As it stands, he should be getting the top 5 picks for a few seasons from Player 3 if Player 1 is unwilling to move any.

Player 3 gives Ubaldo, gets Hosmer and Ackley

Player 3 is getting a good deal here. Hosmer (and Ackley I suppose) is a very good return for Ubaldo. Player 3 isn't getting nearly as good a deal as Player 1 though, so I don't see why he should be moving anything more than a couple of high round picks (a couple of top 5 picks).

With 140 keepers, draft picks aren't going to mean much. Player 2 is getting the shaft here, while Player 1 makes out like a bandit. This is one of the more lopsided deals I have seen. And to top things off, Player 1 has convinced both of the other guys that Player 3 needs to give out picks to Player 2. Priceless!

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is Player 2 even in the league? The deal he is getting is one of the worst things I've ever seen.

EDIT- Does your league give some sort of huge advantage to SP (more so than a normal points league)?
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:25 pm

lol player two is getting absolutely fleeced in this deal, just beyond terrible for him. there is no pick they could trade to make it anything close to a fair value swap. player one is getting an insane deal and player three is getting a very good deal as well.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby Element » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:31 pm

KJROD20 wrote:Player 2 gives Votto, Strasburg, and Hosmer, gets Grienke, Marcum, and Ubaldo

:-t Why would anyone do that!?
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 693)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:53 pm

What is wrong with Player 2? That is a horrible deal for him. Players 1 and 3 are making out like bandits.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:47 pm

If player 2 and player 3 are only swapping a draft pick to finalize everything....well, I think everyone else has summed it up pretty well. If the draft pick was a 1st rounder that was actually getting player 2 a 1st rounder it might be OK.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:11 am

Element wrote:
KJROD20 wrote:Player 2 gives Votto, Strasburg, and Hosmer, gets Grienke, Marcum, and Ubaldo

This guy has the three best players in the deal (or almost, depends on where Greinke falls for you) and is getting two of the worst players in return. Makes no sense especially if he can keep the first three with no restrictions. Those three players are the kind of players you build your team around not trade for parts you could find on the WW.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:27 am

Now I'm really curious which one you were. I kind of hope you were team 2 and thus avoided this terrible, terrible deal. Did this trade actually happen? I know in a lot of my leagues it would generate a huge controversy. I'm generally anti-veto, let people run their own teams, but this one just seems like outright theft.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:19 am

MaudDib wrote:
Element wrote:

This guy has the three best players in the deal (or almost, depends on where Greinke falls for you) and is getting two of the worst players in return. Makes no sense especially if he can keep the first three with no restrictions. Those three players are the kind of players you build your team around not trade for parts you could find on the WW.

Yeah I don't get this at all. :-?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions