Who can Comeback ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who can Comeback ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who can Comeback ?

Postby Dan Charette » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:02 am

Quite a few players had really bad years last year. Adam Dunn, Alex Rios , Vernon Wells , and Carl Crawford to name a few off the top of my head. Can these guys rebound ? I think they can , but I'm still not sure about where I would draft them. Thoughts , and who else may be a comeback candidate. Also guys coming back from an injury should be considered for this discussion . Sizemore, Wainwright , and Johan Santana come to mind. Other injury rebound candidates are ?
Just having a hard time ranking some of these players and I would welcome feedback . Thanks,

Dan the Bluesman B-)
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who can Comeback ?

Postby monty797 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:22 am

The guys that I'm targeting are pretty simple really. I'm focusing on getting Crawford, I think he's going to have a much better year. He may not be 2010 fantastic, but I see a big bounce back for him.

The other guy I'm looking at is Ubaldo Jimenez.

Both guys just have too much talent to be as poor as they were this year and expect some big seasons from them.
"True friends stab you in the front"
-Oscar Wilde
monty797
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TopChuckie » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:44 pm

monty797 wrote:The guys that I'm targeting are pretty simple really. I'm focusing on getting Crawford, I think he's going to have a much better year. He may not be 2010 fantastic, but I see a big bounce back for him.

The other guy I'm looking at is Ubaldo Jimenez.

Both guys just have too much talent to be as poor as they were this year and expect some big seasons from them.

I think the bigger question is are these guys going to be undervalued enough after last season to make it worth the gamble? I'm certainly not paying typical CC prices to gamble that he returns to form, a form I think was pretty overrated anyway. Plus I think he is a bad gamble because he wasn't just a guy in the same old situation who had a down year, a lot changed for him last year and most of that is going to be the same again this year. Maybe the park doesn't play to his strengths, maybe he can't handle the attention in Boston, maybe he can't handle not being more of "the man" like he was in Tampa, maybe he's complacent now that he's getting paid. I'd rather gamble on the bounce-back of a guy who all else was the same but he had a down year, as opposed to new forces that may continue to affect performance.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby silverZ » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:27 pm

I think Wainwright is going to have a good year. All of the reports I've read about his throwing program have him feeling strong and ready for spring training. Hopefully he has a terrible ST numbers wise so I can get him on the cheap.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby bigken117 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Of the slumping players you listed I think Rios will provide the best value,

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Element » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:43 pm

bigken117 wrote:Of the slumping players you listed I think Rios will provide the best value,

Agreed. Rios posted a BABIP of only 0.237 last season despite seeing his LD% increase to 18.4% & his K% going down to just 11.9%. The only concerning numbers from last year for me was his drop in steals. He had just 11 steals in 17 attempts. I think that he'll provide a very good return on investment in 2012.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 610)

Return to Baseball Leftovers